Work in progress. Livery is confirmed, as of 2017-04-24.
River conditions need to be checked a few days before the event.
Texas FlyFishers of Houston Event: South Llano River float trip
When: 23-25th of June, 2017
Where: Junction, Tx
Limited to 15 spots in the cabins. Deposit for lodging locks the spot.
Tent camping is still available.
I don’t plan to send the E-vite out, but the Evite Link is active. Please use it, as it makes it easier for me to track. $25/person to reserve your spot in a cabin.
Start Time: Friday afternoon 1600
End Time: Sunday at noon, or as close to it as we can get.
Trip Leader: Puck
Phone: 2ate1 (dash) 8six5(minus)thirty-two 16
e-mail: doncpuckett(at)gee-male (dot)com
Trip Description: See below…
Day 1: The first meeting of the trip will be at: South Llano River RV Park,210 Cedar Creek Road – Junction, Texas 76249
We’ll wadefish this area getting our casting skill honed, and practicing with various flies. Hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill for dinner at wherever we stay.
Option 1 (preferred) Launch from KC150 and go to State Park or slightly below.
End: 30.450064, -99.812849
Option 2 (easier to do) Launch from just downstream of the State park with our livery service, and float down to our camping site.
Start: 30.450064, -99.812849
End: 30.483076, -99.761551
We have arranged a livery service. Currently working with Paddler’s Porch, (713)397(Dash)5O4nine for shuttling our watercraft. If you need to rent a canoe or kayak contact these people.
Pizza from the new local pizza place at wherever we are staying
First crossing bridge where the river crosses US 377. We will fish downstream to the second crossing. This time I will bring a GPS.
How to sign up (Limited to 15 cabin spots, but tent camping is available):
1. Evite Link
2. On the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
3. Or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Your food, water, and transportation
To reserve your spot you need to get your Lodging/camping fees to the trip leader. ($25 to reserve your spot, and this is non-refundable)
Directions: Houston to South Llano River RV Park
About the area: About the State Park
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. (see above)
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit
• Drinking water!
Canoe or kayak
Neoprene or canvas boots to prevent burned feet
3-7 wt fly rod with floating line
Spare GPS batteries
Yellow spider, size 6-12
Miss Prissy or similar small popper
PGPP, size 8-12
S1B, size 6-10
Hare-E, size 10
Squirrelly, size 12
Dark Wooly bugger size 6-12
And I’m sure the list will grow when a few folks read this and make their own recommendations.
Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
Lodging: We have confirmation of the 3 cabin reservations. Cabins C, D, and E are reserved for Texas FlyFishers for this adventure. All cabins are equipped with a queen bed, twin bunk beds, electricity, A/C, heater, ceiling fan and a refrigerator. Outside you’ll find a BBQ grill and picnic table. Linens and cooking utensils are not provided. Final cost for lodging will be split between participants. Expected to be less than $50/person.
Lodging assignments (Deposits received) :
Cabin C:1Q, 5B
B: Rene D.
B: Dewayne D
B: Larry McCarver, He tried to get the deposit to me
Russell Cowart Kyle K. Bob O.
B: David Dow
Cabin D: 2Q, 3B
B: Corrine Bedaw
B: Patsy Brown,
B: Loretta O’leary,
Cabin E: 2Q, 2B
Q: Mike Q.
B: Glenn Wells
B: Steve Tomlinson
Francois Louw (deposit not in hand)
Bernhard Lungwitz (deposit not in hand)
Howard Finley (deposit not in hand)
Paul Robertson (deposit not in hand)
In their own cabin:
Q: Ken K.
Q: Penny K.
16 thoughts on “South Llano River float trip, 2017-06-23, Lodging and Livery are confirmed”
Date locked as we have lodging with air conditioning, and indoor plumbing.
8 spots still open as of 2016-10-17-1200.
Lodging: We have confirmation of the 3 cabin reservations. Cabins C, D, and E are reserved for Texas FlyFishers for this adventure. All cabins are equipped with a queen bed, twin bunk beds, electricity, A/C, heater, ceiling fan and a refrigerator. Outside you’ll find a BBQ grill and picnic table. Linens and cooking utensils are not provided.
South Llano River RV Park & Resort has moved more beds into the cabins, allowing us to have a grand total of 15 places to sleep.
The beds are slowly filling up as deposits are received. I’ll keep updating the main post with the lodging updates.
Livery service is confirmed, and once again touched base with our lodging. All is looking good as of 2017-04-25-1200.
Questions to inform the entire group on:
1. Now that deposit is paid, what is TOTAL cost for the weekend, per cabin?
* Should be less than $50/person as we split the cost between us.
2. How will we arrange the food you mention at camp? are you going to make a “list” for each individual?
* I’ll bring burgers and stuff with me for Friday. Our veggie guy will have to supply his own.
3. Should EVERYONE bring cook utensils?
* Between Rene and I, we have that covered
4. Charcoal, etc?
* I’ll bring it.
5. Grills available, etc?
* Should be but we will bring a small on.
6. Cost of livery service?
* Less than $20/trip, and they can carry 6+ of us at a time.
7. You give two Float options, HOWEVER ONE is “preferred”….Why? Less water / fish on one? More portages? Are both equal length? Both wind up at livery service?
* Updated above. We are doing the “prefered” route.
8. What do you recommend for footwear in the river? Studded soles? Felt? etc etc?
* Flats boots, or canvas wading boots is my choice. Others use sandals. The major concern is sunburned feet.
9. Car pooling options from Houston?
* I can pass out an e-mail, but i know Bob O. was looking for a rider.
10. Cost of campground “entry” on top of Cabins fee?
11. Any restrictions in campground we need to be made aware of (no alcohol …heaven forbid! etc????….not one of those sanctimonious campgrounds. I hope!)
* That isn’t one of the restrictions.
12. What time is check in Friday?
* 1500, but we will be there earlier.
Good stuff. Thanks for details!!!
We are out of beds. It is time to start bringing air mattresses.
There is plenty of camping still available for that weekend.
Call South Llano River RV Park & Resort @
Bring rain gear, just in case….
[…] https://texasflyfishers.org/2016/10/10/south-llano-river-float-trip-2017/ […]