Our Monthly Speaker for September, 2016 will be club member, Alex Blacque who will be telling us about fly fishing in Montana. Alex has made several trips to Montana and is familiar with rivers of the state along with the fly fishing techniques and strategies which are available to the angler who chooses to fish the waters of Montana. So, if you are interested in what the state of Montana has to offer for the fly fishing angler or just want to mingle and socialize with others who are interested in fly fishing, come to the September 2016 meeting we would be glad to have you.
Texas FlyFishers of Houston and The Contraband Fly Casters Club
Event: Fishing the Sabine River below the generation canal
When: October 1st, 2016 (The same weekend as Sharkathon)
Where: Fishing the Sabine River below the generation canal
Start Time: 0700
End Time: Too dark to fish
Trip Leader: TBD, as neither Skip, or I can make it this year.
Trip Description: Fishing the Sabine River below the generation canal. We plan to fish the generation canal, but if the generators start up we will quickly shift our efforts to the lake. Launch and take-out will be the either the new boat launch on the generation canal. Species targeted are , LMG, KLMB, yellow sunfish, white bass, gar (3 species), catfish (2 species) and, if extremely lucky, striped bass.
Event: 2017 Prison Permit
When: February 2017. Exact date depends on the Trip Leader.
Where: East Matagorda Flats, meet at the boat ramp.
Start Time: 0800
End Time: about 1600
Trip Leader: We need a volunteer
How to sign up:
1. Evite Link
2. On the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
3. Or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Link
Cost: No anticipated costs, but you may want to chip in gas and labor for the captain of your boat.
Directions: Driving from Houston
About the area: More later
- Member dues are current!
- Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. ( Can be downloaded here )
- Extra change of dry clothes
- Wind and/or water proof jacket
- Lunch, Water, snacks
- Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
- Hat, Polarized Glasses
- First Aid Kit
- Waders and boots
- Life jacket
- # wt rods
Recommended guidelines for participants:
Featured this month
- A quick look at the 2016 Invasive Fish Round-Up and Carp-A-Thon
- What’s Happening – September Meeting, Clarke Thornton Memorial and, LA Marshes
- Mark Your Calendar – October Meeting / Cuba, Sabine River Outing, Reel Recovery
- Outreach – Reel Recovery and Casting For Recovery
- Special Event – Lydia Ann Fly Masters Tournament
- Know Your Fellow FlyFishers – Samantha Shriner
- Outing Reports – Padre Island National Seashore, South Llano River
- Looking back at…the July Monthly Meeting
- Fly of the Month – The Easy Hopper by Don “Puck” Puckett
Original post: The 2nd Annual Clarke Thornton Memorial – San Marcos River Trip
When: September 24, 2016
Where: San Marcos River at Martindale TX. Continue reading
Texas FlyFishers of Houston Event: Harmon Creek upstream of Lake Livingston, Sand bass
Trip Description: Fishing for white bass as they run up Harmon Creek out of Lake Livingston on their spring spawn.