Texas FlyFishers currently offers five different annual courses and one annual event for the benefit of both the members and the general public. The courses consist of: a 10 week Beginners Fly Tying Course, followed immediately by a 10 week Intermediate Fly Tying course; a two day Rod Building Course; and, a 5 week Fly Fishing Academy. In Addition to these courses, the club has sponsored an Annual Fly Tying Festival for approximately 20 years now.
- All of these courses are designed with the most basic beginner in mind, and are ‘progressive’ in nature, with each week’s class building on the previous week’s class, leading up to each student having the ability to tie their own flies on their own, build a rod on their own, or, go fishing with confidence. All courses and classes are taught by various club members who have experience, and expertise, in the subject matter.
- There is a $50.00 registration fee for each of these courses, with registration being the night of the first class, and with acceptance being on a first-come-first served basis. Pre-registrations are not accepted; but, an ‘intent to participate’ note prior to registration is greatly appreciated, as there is a seating limitation for each of the courses.
- The seating limitation for the two fly tying courses and the Academy is 24. However, as there is always someone, or two, or three, who can’t make a given class, we do accept as many as 27 for each of these courses. The seating capacity for the Rod Building Course is limited to 10, with no exceptions.
- The two Fly Tying courses, and classes, the Academy, and the FlyTying Festival are all held at Bethany Christian Church, located at 3223 Westheimer, which is located just across the street east of Lamar High School, and is between Buffalo Speedway and Kirby Drive, north of the SW Freeway.
- The Rod Building Course classes are held in the Community Center Building in Bayland Park, which is located on Bissonet, just west of the Bissonet/Hillcroft intersection.
- With the exception of the Rod Building Course, all ‘indoor’ classes are two hour classes and are held from 7:00 to 9:00 pm on their respective meeting days. The exception will be discussed in the respective synopsis of the Course.