Event: East Matagorda Bay – 3 Mile Lake area
Trip Description: Kayak fishing for redfish, speckled trout, and sheephead. If you do not have a kayak, wading in the lakes can be very productive at times. 4X4’s are usually a must for beach driving and crossing into the cut. Once you get off the beach past the dunes, driving is usually okay. A permit is required for beach driving and you can get one at Stanley’s for about 10 or 12 bucks.
When: March 23, 2019
Where: Meet at Stanley’s General Store at 8am. We will drive south on 2031 and take a left onto Beach Road, which will put us directly on the beach. We will drive the beach to the “cut”. (see directions below)
End Time: Darkness
Trip Leader: Andrew Jones
Phone: (7I3) 575(dash) 7 tree 7 four
e-mail: andjonesI960 (at) gmale (dot) com
How to sign up:
1. Evite link (Click here)
2. Sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
3. Or e-mail / call the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download Waiver form here
Cost: Personal expenses and transportation
Meet at Stanley’s General Store, Market Street, Matagorda Texas
Link to the “cut”:
About the area:
Site casting to redfish can be excellent at this time of year. School trout can be caught by drifting the lakes or fishing the cuts, and catching a trophy trout is very possible during March. Also, there are usually plenty of sheephead along the South shoreline of the main bay, which is a short paddle.
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. (Can be downloaded above)
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or waterproof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellent
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit
• Drinking water!
Recommended Equipment: Canoe or kayak. Can also wade in lakes.
- Reverse Green Weenies
- Crab flies.
- Redfish crack flies, or the like, in tan or darker colors
- 3 – 4” slow sinking baitfish patterns for trophy-sized speckled trout. Olive/white and black/purple have worked for me.
Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.