I bought this while I was in Colorado, and have used it quite a bit.Continue reading
Contrary to the name there are now nine different, unique lakes of good size that hold largemouth bass, tiger bass, catfish, black crappie, and bluegill. Catching bass in the three to five pound range is a normal occurrence. Twelve pound bass and channel cats and twelve inch bream have been caught in the last three years.”
When: April 27th, 2019
Add this to your calendar:
Texas FlyFishers of Houston Event: Bolivar Marshes – Stingaree Marina
Kayak and/or Boat outing
When: Thursday, April 4 – Sunday, April 7
- When: Saturday, February 9, 2019
- Time: Doors open at 8:30 am and tying will continue until 4:30 pm.
- Where: Bethany Christian Church
- 3223 Westheimer Road
- Houston, Texas
Skip and Mary-Kay have done a great job for years, but they won’t be able to any more.
This event is the biggest revenue producer for the club, and we are now desperately in need of volunteers/
Contact Skip, Mary-Kay, or Puck if you are interested in helping out.
Event: Garcitas Creek, Rescheduled to Feb 9, 2019 outing
Trip Description: Garcitas Creek is a stream located less than 8 miles from Port Lavaca, in Victoria County. Alternate names for this stream include Rio de los Frances, Garcitas River and Garcetas River. A variety of species inhabit this water, to include those typically thought of as saltwater. Photo proof of the number of species, length etc. This will allow bragging rights later.
When: Rescheduled to Feb 9, 2019 (Water conditions and weather)
Volume 37, Issue 11
Also, in this issue…
- Here’s What’s Coming Up! – Monthly Meeting, Education, Casting, Conservation
- Outreach – Reel Recovery, Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing
- Mark Your Calendars – 2018 – 2019 Club Activities Calendar – December through March
- Annual Christmas Party
- Special Events – Casting Clinics, Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival, FTU Inshore Expo
- Outings Report – November Outing at Damon 7 Lakes, Silver King Lodge Costa Rica
- In Memoriam – James Andrew “Jim” Dailey
- Here’s What’s Coming Up! – October Monthly Meeting, Education, Conservation
- Outreach – Reel Recovery – November Retreat, New! Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing
- Mark Your Calendars – 2018 Club Activities Calendar – October through December
- Annual Christmas Party
- Special Events – Casting Clinics with Dayle Mazzarella, Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival
- Outings Report – Eberly Ranch Bass Fishing by Andrew Jones
- Fly of the Month – Sand Flea Fly
Details about the club Christmas Party are below:
Date: Sunday, December 9, 2018
Hours: 4-8 pm
Location: Elks Lodge, 10150 W. Airport Blvd., Stafford Texas 77477
Participation is limited to those who have paid their annual dues of $24 and one guest per member. If the annual dues have not been paid the $24 annual dues payment may be made at the door.
Our Speaker for the November 27, 2018 monthly meeting will be Dayle Mazzarella. Dayle is certified by the Federation of Fly Fishers International as a Master Certified Casting Instructor and for the past 25 years has been guiding fly fishing trips in Wyoming. He has also fished Alaska, South America, Spain, New Zeland and the Bahamas. In the winter and spring he fishes the Tampa Bay area.
Dayle and his wife, Barbara, will be making a presentation titled: “Fishing Adventures – two different perspectives” which is a collection of stories about their fishing adventures together and how they each looked at the events in sometimes opposite ways. This should really be an entertaining presentation.
Additionally, Dayle will be holding several fly casting clinics here in Houston on December 1, 2018 and a spot for those can be reserved at the November meeting or by contacting club member John Slocomb. Private casting lessons will also be offered between the date of Dayle’s presentation to the club on November 27th and the date of the clinics on December 1st. Arrangements for private casting instruction with Dayle can be made by contacting Bayou City Anglers http://www.bayoucityangler.com
So, if you are interested in learning more about the fly fishing world, if you are interested in watching some fly tying before the meeting or are just interested in socializing with a friendly group of fly fishing men and women come to the November 27, 2018 monthly meeting. We would be glad to have you and look forward to seeing you at the meeting.
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Time:Meeting Time 7-9 pm
Place: Bayland Community Center
Houston, Texas 77074