The Iron Fly
Tying Skills Contest
As adopted by the Texas FlyFishers
What is The Iron Fly?
Based on the premise similar to the cable TV cooking show The Iron Chef, the Iron Fly is similar in nature but, with fly tying instead of food. We start with a common selection of materials for all of the contestants. The Iron Fly tyers will have 15 minutes to select their materials, return to their tying station and design their pattern. Once the time has elapsed, the tying begins.
The Iron Fly tyers then have 12 minutes in which to tie and complete their entry. Oh, did I mention that all tyers will also be presented with a “Mystery Material” to incorporate in their entry. Once time expires, the patterns will be collected for judging.
Scoring will be performed by three (3) judges, picked from the tyers at the festival. Judging will be based on three criteria, Originality, Neatness & Best Use of Materials, especially the utilization of the “Mystery Material”, with 0 – 10 points awarded for each. After the totals are tallied, the two top scores will then move on to the Championship Tie Off. In the event of a tie, a tie breaker is in place to determine which tyers will move on to the Championship Tie Off round.
The Championship Tie Off round utilize the same general rules and time lines with one minor change, the venue for the Championship tie off moves to the Festival’s Beginners Tying Table and the contestants will utilize the Club’s vises and tools. And, as in the preliminary round, the contestants will be given the Mystery Material, a different mystery material, to incorporate in their entry.
So, do you think you’re up for it? I hope so. Now, let’s get to tying and, good luck to all the contestants.
The Iron Fly, Tying Skills Contest – General Rules
IRON – General Rules:
1. There will be one (1) preliminary round (11:00 am), followed immediately by the Championship Tie Off;
2. The preliminary round will be limited to a maximum of 12 tyers. The two (2) tyers with the highest scoring entries will then advance to the Championship Tie Off;
3. The contestants will register at the front desk and they will be issued an entry number and a scorecard, to be handed in with their entry attached;
4. A common selection of materials, supplied by the Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival, will be made available for the contestants to select for their entry. Only these materials can be used in the contest.
5. A “Mystery Material” will be presented to each contestant prior to the beginning of tying time. This material must be incorporated in your pattern and, it will be a large part of the scoring.
6. There will be a tyers meeting. Guidelines will be explained and questions answered;
7. The tyer will then have 15 minutes to choose their materials from the common supply, design their entry and be in position at their vise ready to begin tying. Tyers may use their personal vises, basic tools and, thread for the preliminary round;
8. The tyers design must utilize each of the materials selected in their pattern. The “Mystery Material” must be used as an integral part of the pattern. No outside / additional materials may be used;
9. Tying time will be limited to 12 minutes. At 12 minutes, all tools / materials must be laid down and tying cease;
10. Entries will be collected and turned in to judges for scoring. Entries will be scored for Originality, Neatness & Best Use of Materials, 0 – 10 points for each.
11. Three Judges will be chosen by the Texas FlyFishers from the body of tyers at the Festival. Two additional “tie breaker” judges will be on hand, if needed.
12. The two highest scores will then advance to the Championship Tie Off. The names of the finalists will be announced and, the tie off process will begin shortly after.
13. The same rules will apply for the tie off except the Championship Tie Off will take place at the Beginners Tying Table and the contestants will utilize the Club’s vises and tools.
14. As in the preliminary round, a “Mystery Material” will be presented to the tyers and, must be used as an integral part of the pattern.
15. Scoring criteria will be the same as in the preliminary round.
Highest score will be crowned as the Iron Fly Tyer!