Chasing Jacks in the surf, fishing report

Met up with the team at 0600 at the parking lot.  There were a grand total of 16 of us ready for this adventure spread out in 7 vehicles.

We headed down the beach at 0640 and was at mile marker 20 at exactly sunrise.

There were only 5 FRC radios.  I wish we would have had more, but it worked out.  For our next outing let’s see if we can get a few more in hand.

Our pack drove all the way to mile marker 50 without seeing one jack crevalle in the surf.

Driving conditions on the way south was the best I’ve seen in 10 years.  There were a few 2 wheel drive cars that passed by us going south at the 50 mile marker.  And they passed us again when they traveled north.  We didn’t see them stuck, so I assume that they made it back safely.

Ron M. went the remaining 10 miles to the jetties.  He reported that there were 100+ people there,  and the flowing water looked like mud.

Friends of Padre‘s truck came by and talked with us for a few minutes.  They told us that the jacks had not been in the surf for over a week, and that the water quality/clarity is still not quite what it should be. They also corroborated Ron’s observations about the crowd at the jetties.

During the first part of the morning, the wind was very light making casting with the fly rod easy.  But as the day progressed, the wind speed increased, making casting a fly a bit more of a challenge.  One of us wound up with a new piercing.   Fortunately the hook didn’t go in past the barb, so no lasting damage done.

Ladyfish and whiting were brought to hand, but the fish of the event was a 20+ inch snook, as you can see in the featured image.

Here are some videos and more pictures that were shared.  When I get more in hand, I’ll add them.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s