This is THE family friendly event of the year!
Join us for the annual chance to capture the John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular Trophy and a decent feed on Saturday the 23rd of April (date is confirmed) at Damon Seven Lakes.
Fishing from the shore, but float tubes and kayaks are quite successful.
Contrary to the name there are now nine different, unique lakes of good size that hold largemouth bass, tiger bass, catfish, black crappie, and bluegill. Catching bass in the three to five pound range is a normal occurrence. Twelve pound bass, decent channel cats, and twelve inch bream have been caught in the last three years.
When: April 23rd, 2022 (2022-04-23-0700) Add this to your calendar:
Damon 7 Lakes,
3533 CR 4,
(Old Damon W. Columbia Road)
Damon, Texas 77430
N29.2524671 – W95.7412050
End Time: TDTF (Too Dark to Fish)
Trip Leader: Eric Richardson
Phone: 28I (dash) 3OO (dash) 826I
e-mail: aggie87 (at) aol (dot) com
Trip Description: Join us for the annual chance to capture the John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular Trophy and a decent feed on Saturday the 17th of April (date is confirmed) at Damon Seven Lakes. Fishing from the shore, but float tubes and kayaks are quite successful. Camping the night before is available, and is encouraged. We have permission.
How to sign up:
- Evite link here..
- On the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
- Or e-mail the trip leader. (aggie87(at)aol(d0t)c0m)
- Waiver forms: You must have a day waiver for Damon 7 Lakes to enter the property Friday night, or Saturday. Required Texas FlyFishers’ Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed (see below), along with emergency contact information. You will also need to have on hand the D7Ls day waiver (see below):
Cost: $15 for Texas FlyFishers members with paid up dues. (Cost for non-club members is still in discussion as of 2022-02-08, and is currently $90/person/day.) Cost per angler is approved, and it does include lunch. Lunch will be hot dogs, hamburgers, and chips.
Special pricing for kids, students, and non-fishing spouses. Contact “Trip Leader” for details. We will be using a list from the membership secretary to verify up to date membership. The list may be a week or 2 old by the event.
Our volunteer (need one.) will be set up with a sign-in station at the warehouse building from 0700-0900. If you come in after 0900, chase down the sound of “Fish on!” to get signed in and squared away.
About the area: http://www.mjacompany.com/7lakes.html “Damon’s Seven Lakes is a beautiful one-of-a-kind private fishing club located in Damon, Texas just west of Highway 36 between Rosenburg and West Columbia. Contrary to the name there are now nine different, unique lakes of good size that hold largemouth bass, tiger bass, catfish, black crappie, and bluegill. Catching bass in the three to five pound range is a normal occurance. Twelve pound bass and channel cats and twelve inch bream have been caught in the last three years.”
• Member dues are current! Or you can pay your dues at this time.
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. See above
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Water, snacks (We need to have our cooks for lunch lined up).
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit
Canoe, kayak, or kickboat, (These are not needed, but it is a good time to try stuff out)
3-7 wt fly rod with floating line
Yellow spider, size 6-12
Miss Prissy or similar small popper
PGPP, size 8-12
S1B, size 6-10
Hare-E, size 10
Squirrelly, size 12
Dark Wooly bugger size 6-12
And I’m sure the list will grow when a few folks read this and make their own recommendations.
Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the covered picnic area (to be confirmed).
I need 5 volunteers.
These volunteers will have their fees waived for the day.
2 people as Cooks
Cook 1 = ?
Cook 2 = ?
2 people as Cleanup crew
KP1 = ?
KP2 = ?
One person to man the sign in table from 0645-0930 (?)
New trophy in hand. Remember, “No pictures = no proof”
We again have permission to camp the night before. I highly recommend it.