Event: Brown and Root Flats, Aransas Pass/Rockport, Texas
Trip Description: : Sight fish for Redfish and Speckled Trout in the clear shallow flats of B&R flats in Port Aransas. This is a kayak outing, although boats are certainly welcome. Kayaks are available for rental in Aransas Pass. Fish B&R flats on Friday. Friday night club sponsored dinner. Saturday fishing in Light House Lakes
When: Fri and Sat: May 19/20
Where: Kayak launch: Aransas Pass 27.893286 N 97.125871 W
Start Time: 630 am (sunrise) Return Time: 4:00 pm
Trip Leader: Scott Fossum
Phone/text: 2 ate 1 (dash) 7 ate 2 (minus) 1 uno 6 zero
e-mail: skylene98 (at) Hotmail (dot) com
How to sign up:
Call/text/email the trip leader – Scott Fossum
Fri/Sat night Accommodations: You are responsible for your own lodging. Lodging is available in Port Aransas or surrounding area.
Friday Night Dinner: 1830 dinner at Phil and Pam Stranahan’s house in Fulton
About the area:
Brown & Root flats is a shallow bay of a few thousand acres with water depths of 6” to 2.5 ft when we will be there. Clear water and sight casting are regular here. This, combined with the grassy and sandy bottom keeps the water clear and should allow you the opportunity to sight cast to fish. The numerous spoil islands and some pipelines should provide ample opportunity to explore the area and enjoy a peaceful day of fishing. Be sure and keep your eyes along the prop scars, the fish like to sneak along these.
Wade fishing has in general good bottom. If you’re in mud, move out and you will find firmer wading.
Google Earth or maps show good details and can help map out a secret strategy
- Member dues must be current for you to participate!
- Outing Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information – See Attachment 1
- Current Texas Fishing License with Saltwater Stamp
- Proper safety equipment INCLUDING a proper fitting PFD and, a backup paddle
- First Aid Kit.
- Extra change of dry clothes (Optional / Just in case)
- Wind / Rain proof jacket
- Comfortable, sturdy wading shoes and sting ray guards
- Soft side cooler with Ice or frozen water bottle
- Lunch, ample water and/or Gatorade, snacks and power bars
- Sunscreen and mosquito repellant (I like to carry the individual packages of Off wipes)
- Wide brimmed hat AND polarized glasses
- Hand held VHF or FRS radio with charged batteries.
- A water proof camera
- A measuring board or tape measure
- A well-stocked wading belt or bag
- A space blanket, this item doesn’t weigh much and doesn’t take up much space but, if you get caught in a thundershower, this can be used to help protect you from the beating rain and will help insulate you.
- 7-9 wt fly rod with a floating line
- 3 Flies to bring: VIP popper, white seaducer, gold spoon fly (all size 2-6)
- Note: lots of grass, so have weed-guards on flies.
- VHF radio: channel 69.
4 thoughts on “OUTING: Brown and Root Flats – May 19 and 20 2023”
Shouldn’t this be the 19th & 20th? The 26th-29th is Memorial Day weekend.
It looks like I just might be able to make it after all!
Suggestions on lodging? I haven’t stayed overnight down there in a very long time.I found some, OYO Hotel Aransas Pass Corpus Christi TX-35.
I plan on three nights of lodging in PA in support of this event. Thursday-Saturday.