In this issue:
- Monthly Meetings – April – Jason Edgecombe from Eva’s Bonefish Lodge
- Education – Rod Building Class
- Outings – Clarke Thornton Memorial / San Marcos River (FW), Fence Lake (SW)
- Reel Recovery – Spring 2017
- Mark Your Calendars – Meetings: Shannon Branham – Colorado, Phil Shook – Yucatan
- Alamo Fly Fishers – The 2017 Bud Priddy Any Fly
- Fly of the Month – Crystal River Shrimp
Link to Windknots Spring 2017
Latest update on the festival.
When: Saturday, February 11, 2017
Where: 3223 Westheimer Road, Houston 77098 – Google Map
For those of you who have been asking, there is a schedule of presentations included in the link provided below.
Schedule of Presentations
Texas FlyFishers’ member Chris Bruttig is looking for interested members to join him on a fishing trip on horseback to the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico in July 2017.
Here’s Chris’ invitation…
I am putting together a horse packing trip into the Gila Wilderness for Gila Trout .We would be departing near Cliff Dwelling New Mexico. It would be a total of 8 days on the trail.
When: Thursday, October 27th at 7PM
Where: River Oaks Theatre 2009 West Gray St., Houston 77019 (Google Map link)
Doors open at 7:00p
Film starts at 7:30p
Get your tickets a Bayou City Angler. Tickets are $25 – available here .
Proceeds from ticket sales & raffle benefit Reel Recovery and Candlelighters .
Learn about the Providence Film project and watch the film trailer.
Invitation from Walter McClendon of the Pinewoods Fly Fishers
Welcome again to the North Toledo Bend Rendezvous! The date is Friday afternoon, November 4th thru Sunday morning, November 6th, 2016. Rendezvous is the result of several fly fishermen gathering to fish and tie flies at the state park many years ago. After a couple of years of growing pains they found the park’s group facility. And what a facility indeed!
A capacity of 150 people in 5 heated log bunkhouses (30 beds each), a heated central shower and restroom building with nice night lighting on all the sidewalks and a large main log building with A/C, a commercial kitchen, dining hall, fireplace, a long front porch, picnic table and a large barbecue trailer out front.
Select this link for details
Walter McClendon admiring Fred Hannie’s incredibly realistic flies
Featured this month
- A quick look at the 2016 Invasive Fish Round-Up and Carp-A-Thon
- What’s Happening – September Meeting, Clarke Thornton Memorial and, LA Marshes
- Mark Your Calendar – October Meeting / Cuba, Sabine River Outing, Reel Recovery
- Outreach – Reel Recovery and Casting For Recovery
- Special Event – Lydia Ann Fly Masters Tournament
- Know Your Fellow FlyFishers – Samantha Shriner
- Outing Reports – Padre Island National Seashore, South Llano River
- Looking back at…the July Monthly Meeting
- Fly of the Month – The Easy Hopper by Don “Puck” Puckett
Windknots September 2016 here
Time to pre-register for Carp-a-thon 2016
There are some great prizes for participants in the tournament:
- A Sage “X” series fly rod of the winner’s choice
- Boga grip
- Junior Award – casting lesson and guided carp fishing trip.
Details and registration information are found on the Carp-a-thon page.
Featured this month:
- 2016 Invasive Fish Round-Up and Carp-A-Thon
- What’s Happening – PINS, South Llano w/PACK, Clarke Thornton Memorial, Contraband Expo
- Mark Your Calendar – September Meeting, Sabine River and LA Marshes October Outings
- Texas Council of IFFF – Texas Fly Fishing Expo 2016
- Know Your Fellow FlyFishers – Chris Sumers
- Outing Reports –
- Activities of Interest – Reeling It In for Rett, Benefitting Retts Syndrome Research
- Fly of the Month – The Simple Shad by Don “Puck” Puckett
Get your Windknots August 2016 here