Texas FlyFishers of Houston Event: Prison Permit Roundup
When: February 18, 2023
Start Time: Sat, Feb 18 End Time: 4pm, Sat, Feb 18
Trip Description: Chasing Texas sheepshead in the skinny waters of East Matagorda Bay with a fly rod. We will meet at Matagorda Harbor on Sat, Feb 18 in the morning. (time to be determined) Fish and meet back at the launch area at 4pm. NOTE: This is a boat and wade fishing only trip. You must be physically able to “climb” out of a boat and wade fish. More details to come as the date gets closer. We will need figure out participates and how many folks needing rides on boats are identified.
Trip Leader: “Puck” Phone: 28I(minus)865(dash)32I6 e-mail: doncpuckett(AT)gmail(dot)com
How to sign up:
- Email the trip leader
- Sign up at the meeting
- Evite link here
How to get waiver forms: Form link needed. Required Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: Your food, transportation, and lodging fees.
Directions: See link above
About the area: East Matagorda Bay. Some firm bottom, but also some muck/marsh. Lots of shell reefs, so be careful!!
Kayaks once could easily be launched at Rawling’s Cut, just down the road from the boat ramp, Boat launch to kayak launch but in the last few years it has silted in. Does anybody have any update?
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. (Can be downloaded above)
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or waterproof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellent
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit
• Drinking water!
• Handheld VHF
• 7-9 wt rod
• food & drink
• Reverse Green Weenies
• Crab flies.
• Most any small, dark fly is worth a shot.
Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer than the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.