Work in progress. Date, rooms, and livery are things that need to be confirmed, as of 2016-01-04. River conditions need to be checked a few days before the event.
Texas FlyFishers of Houston Event: South Llano River float trip
When: 10-12th of June, 2016
Where: Junction, Tx
Start Time: Friday afternoon TBD
End Time: Sunday at noon, or as close to it as we can get.
Trip Leader: Need a new leader. Puck is moving to Colorado.
Trip Description: See below…
Day 1: The first meeting of the trip will be at TBD
We’ll wadefish this area getting our casting skill honed, and practicing with various flies. Hot dogs and hambergers on the grill for dinner at wherever we stay.
Day 2: Launch from just downstream of the State park with our livery service, and float down to Morgan Shady Park. Bob from Fun In The Sun (325) 446-7265 will provide our livery service. Currently (2016-01-04) he also has some kayaks for rent. Pizza from the new local pizza place at wherever we are staying
Day 3: First crossing bridge where the river crosses US 377. We will fish downstream to the second crossing. This time I will bring a GPS.
How to sign up: 1. Working on sign-up sheet
2. On the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
3. Or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: Your food, transportation, and lodging/camping fees.
Directions: Houston to South Llano State Park
About the area: About the State Park
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. (Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket • Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit
• Drinking water!
Canoe or kayak
Neoprene or canvas boots to prevent burned feet
3-7 wt fly rod with floating line
Spare GPS batteries
Yellow spider, size 6-12
Miss Prissy or similar small popper
PGPP, size 8-12
S1B, size 6-10
Hare-E, size 10
Squirrelly, size 12
Dark Wooly bugger size 6-12
And I’m sure the list will grow when a few folks read this and make their own recommendations.
Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
2 thoughts on “South Llano Float trip, 2016”
Fellow anglers: I have a father/son team wanting to join us on this trip, but I don’t know if they can survive 2 days of fishing together. Both will be new at this river, and don’t have much experience. I’d like to split them up into canoes with a more seasoned angler. Does anybody have any ideas, or are willing to volunteer?
[…] https://texasflyfishers.wordpress.com/2016/01/04/south-llano-float-trip-2016/ […]