Current Status- The following Post was reprinted from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Website
September 23, 2015
Reports of discolored water and/or red tide aerosols continue in the Gulf of Mexico from Galveston to Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) and South Padre Island. Reports of fish kills, discolored water and/or aerosols have been reported within some bay systems, including San Antonio Bay, Aransas Bay, Corpus Christi Bay, and upper and lower Laguna Madre.
- Galveston Bay near Pelican Island showing low cell concentrations of red tide with no reports of respiratory irritation.
- Water samples in the Freeport area found no evidence red tide cells.
- The UTMSI pier in Port Aransas is maintaining low concentrations of red tide.
- Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) showed an increase in cell densities from moderate concentrations (9/15/15) to high concentrations (9/21/15) with cell concentrations increased further south around the 20 mile marker. Cell concentrations ranging from background to very low were also observed on Bird Island Basin.
- Water samples in Corpus Christi Bay have ranged from background cell concentrations along the shoreline of the City of Corpus Christi to high cell concentrations along the city of Portland, near Indian Point Pier.
- South Padre Island has seen an increase from very low concentration (9/21/15) to moderate (9/22/15), with high concentrations observed at Beach Access Rd 6.
- Brazos Santiago Pass and the Lower Laguna Madre increased in cell concentration from background to low.
- TPWD resource Management crew reported a fish kill along the shoreline off beach access #5 on South Padre Island.
- The Lower Laguna Madre, near the Convention Center has seen an increase in cell concentration from background to low.
PINS also reported tree frog mortalities as well as spotted ground squirrel mortalities being observed. This has not been observed in other red tide events, historically. PINS will be sending frog and squirrel samples to the National Park Service veterinary lab in Fort Collins, Colorado for further analysis.
Fish Kill assessments are ongoing at…
- Mustang Island from Packery Channel approximately 0.5 miles north to Newport Beach Access Road
- Padre Island from Packery Channel south to the Northern boundary of PINS.
- Mustang Island State Park south to Newport Beach Access Road by Mustang Island State Park staff
- The Inner Coastal Waterway