Author Topic: Guadalupe Trout Outing  (Read 666 times)

Nigel

Guadalupe Trout Outing
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Went trout fishing on Monday on the Guadalupe. Full day float trip and man was it fun! Through Kenter Guide Service with Kyle Kenter. Great guy, I'll have his link and stuff at the end of the post, but first I'll attempt to do a recount the way Mr. Graham does...

The forecast of the day was rain ALL day long. Guess what? It only rained during the time we were setting up in the morning! Beautiful overcast day, occasional sprinkles, but the temperature was a delightful 60. We had two rods rigged up: both five weights, the nymphing rig with a pink egg and dropper hare's ear, and then a streamer rig with a bugger and some other bugger-like fly. Started the day nymphing the EXTREMELY slow water right below Rio Raft. The takes were quite subtle, but it nevertheless produced about ten fish!! (this was all at the very beginning of the float!) Anyway, we really got into them there, but decided to leave to give another floating party a chance.

We floated down some, going over a small dam, catching some and, of course, missing some. Eventually the fishing kinda faded out...so we stopped for lunch! Right as we pull up to the side of the river....of course Kyle spots a 30 incher just smiling at us...50 more fish were swimming around there too. We ate our sandwiches, waiting for the fish to calm down, and we started fishing. I landed about two off the nymph rig until the other fish got the idea that something FISHY was going on.

Floating down more and more, we come to a bridge that I do not remember the name of...Kyle looks around and says "theres a lot of trout waiting in there for you. There always is." Surprisingly, there was not! I was kinda wondering whats up, until we floated about 100 yards down further, tied on a white streamer, and hooked this gold guy! After that, we found out the trick of that day was the white streamer. Caught about 7 fish there, good number, and moved on.

Now came the long trek through the lake. Theres a wide, long stretch of the river that I would say is a couple football fields long. We just talked and observed the various waterfowl of the river. After going through the "rapids" of the Devil's Playground, Kyle decided for me to do some nymphing with the current. Didn't catch much, so he had me go back to the streamers. And thats when hell broke loose.

Man were those fish slamming that streamer! I wasn't used to these violent takes because of the subtle takes with the nymph, but man did it wake me up. I actually lost a couple because when the fish slammed it, it would come hauling butt at me and I couldn't strip/reel in the line fast enough to keep the hook on! Catching fish on every cast and every other cast, it was just a blast.

After floating down we were getting close to the end, and we did some nymphing after a rapid and I picked off a couple little guys. Thats when we saw this guy! If anyone has fished the Guad, you'll know that they're not like most trout; they don't hang out too much in the riffles because of the predator birds, or at least the majority we caught were in deeper pools. But anyway was we got out of the raft to move down some rapids, I spotted one of the gold hybrid trout in one of the riffles! good size too! Kyle recommended I attempt to high stick him out of there and I thew everything I had at him, but he wasn't interested! He must've been screwed with by some other fishermen earlier that day. He's so bright you can see him in the picture...

But anyway we floated back down the river. Man was that fun. About a 20-30 trout day. Biggest was probably a little more than 20 inches. Of course all fish were released unharmed. I highly recommend Kyle as a guide. He's a great guy, knows the river very well, and he also guides in Colorado. Here's his info:
http://www.kenterguideservice.com/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:49:30 AM by Golden »

CarpMan

Re: Guadalupe Trout Outing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »
Sounds like a great trip! I will be fishing the river on Sunday January 8th if you or anyone else from the club want to meet up there?
Cheers
Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Guadalupe Trout Outing
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
NICE TRIP REPORT JARED, NOW YOU CAN SEE WHY MY BROTHER GUIDED THAT RIVER FOR TWELVE YEARS. THOSE "GOLDENS" ARE HYBREDS FROM THE MISSOURI HATCHERY WHERE THE FISH COME FROM.  DID YOU NOTICE THE SQUARE TAILS ANOTHER SIGN OF HATCHERY FISH.  NO MATTER WHERE THEY COME FROM THEY ARE A HOOT TO CATCH.  THE NYMPH AND DROPPER RIGS ARE PRECARIOUS TO THROW AND REQUIRE SKILL BEYOND WHAT I HAVE BUT THE STREAMER THING IS WHERE IT'S AT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.  YOU JUST MIGHT FIND YOURSELF FACING DOWN A 20LB. STRIPER TOO!!!!!!!!

GREAT REPORT AND HOPEFULLY I'LL MAKE THE ONE FLY AND FOLLOW YOU TO THE HONEYHOLES ;D ;D ;D
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>