Author Topic: Tenkara  (Read 532 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Tenkara
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:53:51 PM »
Has anyone tried a Tenkara in the local bayous?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Tenkara
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:05:55 PM »
OK DAVE QUIT ACTING LIKE THE BULL AROUND HERE...WHAT THE HECK IS A TENKARA AND IF THE ANSWER IS TWICE A FIVEKARA I WILL BE PISSED!

I JUST LOOKED IT UP.  TELESCOPING FIBERGLASS CRAPPIE RODS WERE THE THING BACK IN THE EARLY 70'S.  THE BAYOU ISN'T EVEN THAT WIDE IN MOST PLACES IF YOU HADN'T NOTICED DAVE.  I HAVE A TELESCOPING 7'6" HEAVY JIGGING BASS ROD THAT WORKS WELL AT RIPPING BASS OUT OF RIPRAP AT DAMS AND JETTIES. SO I HAVE BEEN SCHOOLED THANKS.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:16:21 PM by Golden »
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
If telescoping crappie rods was the information you found, then google failed you.

Tenkara is the Japanese equivalent of our fly fishing. True it is a telescoping rod. Japanese streams are like the bayous, narrow. No reel or line storage device. The line is the length of the rod. It is attached to the end. No tip, guides. Fancy cane pole.

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
So you think my 6.5 foot 4 weight would be just right?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:26:32 AM »
DAVE IF WE GET A NICE DAY SOON (AT LEAST THREE DAYS AFTER ANY RAINFALL AND BLUE SKIES WITH TEMPS 55 DEGREES AND RISING), I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE YOU OUT AND POUND THE BAYOU.  YES YOUR 6.5 4 WT WOULD WORK WELL.  YOUR LONGEST CAST NEEDS TO BE LESS THAN 20'.  WORMDROWNER USED A 7.5' 3 WT AND DID WELL. HOWEVER THERE IS A CHANCE YOU MIGHT HOOK UP WITH A THREE TO FOUR LB. BASS SO YOU BETTER BRING A WEIGHT BELT FOR BALLAST.  PLUS WOULDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO FISH YOU OUT OF THE CREEK DAVE! ;D  ALSO BRING A WADING STAFF IF YOU HAVE ONE TO HELP GET DOWN THE STEEP IMBANKMENTS. hAY SINCE WE DIDN'T HAVE A CHRISTMAS PARTY ARE WE GOING TO HAVE SOME KIND OF INFORMAL MEETING?
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>