Author Topic: Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 5845 times)

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Guadalupe One Fly
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
I will likely not get out of the office until mid-afternoon. I should roll in around 7-8 pm unless i get a break and can bail earlier.
333 - I'm only half bad!

CarpMan

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »
Gents

Dday -1. Trip is a go. Weather for tomorrow may be windy and a chilly start but no rain is forecast. We will meet, as planned in the Rio Raft parking lot at 8am. Please don't forget to bring your license as I have been checked more than once on the river. Also please remember the signed waivers.

My cell is 832 444 4206. I won't be in the area until 6:30pm or so and will be staying out in Wimberley. Call me if you need anything otherwise I will see everyone in the morning.

Oh and if you plan on floating remember your life jacket.

Cheers
Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »
What a great time! Good Food, friends, and hillcountry hospitaillty. I'll get the pictures posted soon. Congradulations.... ;D
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

CarpMan

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
And congrats to Denis Auger on being the 2012 one fly champ. I will speak to everyone on Monday and compile the trip report.

Cheers
Matt

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I had a great time with our group. The high pressure front was a pleasant change for clear skies and a little on the cool side in the morning. 

Mike Hart, a new member that fished with Golden and I seemed to have a good time eating out with us, swapping stories and catching fish. 

A special thanks to the "Reel Fly Shop" owners Brent Hodges and his wife,  for the food and help they provided with river information and kayaks rentals.

I had a great time and felt lucky to be able to make the event and fish with great friends.

Thanks again,

Denis Auger
AKA Bear

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
What a great time.  There I said it again. Had a good group of guys...Matt lead the group of Mike Q., George S., Scott B., Mike H., Denis A., and myself.  We arrived to this cabin...

A closer look at the back of cabin and the rear deck.

Bear is starting to stock the fridge.

A look out in the back yard!

Nother look the other way.

This is where my brother Scott G. was married!  Go figure right!

Mike Q. needs a low overhead sign. He clears the light fixtures by only 1/2" or so.

This guy couldn't wait nor could George, Scott, or I for that matter.

Around 6:00PM Friday we met our newest club outing member, Mike Hart.  It didn't take long for us to see that he fits right in with the group so it was time to go and find some grub and that we did.  Chicken Fried everything was on the menu tonight at Lucky's Cafe.  Hot wings, pints of shiners, cold fresh salads dripping with Ranch so thick you could spread it with a rake and mash potatoes and gravy!  Did I miss sumpthin'?  After dinner at Lucky's there in Sattler we returned to the cabin to rig equipment and tell stories. Quigley my friends, is full of them. So much so in fact there is a new I Phone App out called I-QUIG it has all of Mike's one-liners... hold on it takes a while to download!  Meeting time for the group was 8:00 am Saturday AM and so we turned in for some shut eye.  The snoring was minimized by the fresh hillcountry air I guess 'cause it was pretty quite.

We woke up to this.

Pretty rough conditions wouldn't you say?

TEXAS Hill country Post Cards!

The water had a slight stain to it from the recent rain earlier this week.

Denis worked this hole all day long and was rewarded with several landed and several escapes too.

Scott B. working his "bobber" and dropper rig.

Quigley was a hoss and worked his steelhead drifting techniques at this beautiful location.

My only strike of the trip came right where I am pointing. Three head shakes and a "see ya" was I all could muster.

I drifted this spot in front of these two bIg cypress trees for an hour, there had to be some fish here.

Well anyways as you could see Texas is still one beautiful place and we are graced by the good Lord above to be here sharing time with others in his presence. I am hoping others will send me or Dave kelly more photos AND THEIR STORIES.

As Bear said in his thread Brent and Amy were very hospitable at their new shop REELFLY. The folks down at Action Angler were eager to share their knowledge and very friendly too.  Breakfast at "Sweeties" Sunday consisted of Texas sized Biscuits smothered with Sausage and cream gravy. Whew wee brother! YOU MISSED IT! 

CONGRATULATIONS TO DENIS AUGER YOU BESTED ALL ON THE RIVER THIS DAY!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:37:10 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
Great write-up and great photos! As always, it was a truly enjoyable outing!
333 - I'm only half bad!

CarpMan

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
Better late than never - here is some pictures from George and myself.

We decided to float the upper section of the river, from the 306 bridge down to Rio Raft. There is a small launching slip by the bridge that the guides use and we dropped our kayaks in here and parked the truck across the road at Whitewater (where for future reference you can park for $5 is you are GRTU member in good standing - apparently both George and I are). We started off fishing the pool just upstream of the bridge and then floated down towards the weir fishing any hole we came across with a team of nymphs. The first section was fairly slow and deep and we didnt see any signs of active fish - perhaps it would have been better fished with wooly buggers. We actually came across Brent from Reel Fly with a film crew, doing some movie taking for the office and even he was struggling to pull out a fish for the camera. After portaging across the weir we came to a section of faster water that looked as if it should hold fish but, again nothing was moving and nothing was hitting. I fished this faster water for a while but George made a dash straight downstream to his secret guide spot. As I floated down the river slowed down and deepened and there were some really great looking deep runs between rock piles. The cloudy water made it hard to locate the runs properly but even so it really looked as if it should be holding fish at some point. George's spot was a really great looking run, close along the bank where there was a sudden drop off to deeper water less than a rod length out. You could stand wit your feet in a few inches of water and run the nymphs under the rod tip in 4ft and just walk the drift for 50-60yards. We spent a long time fishing that area hard, trying every drift we could from close in, out to the rock pile in the center. All for nothing!

Below this section was a tail out, a small rapids section and then the best looking run I had seen all day...this spot just had to hold fish! It looked like something out of a rocky mountain river with a long run of fast deep water containing some big rocks and eddies - perfect nymphing water. Again I worked that section for a while trying to see if I could find something that was willing to eat. About haly way down the run my indicator wobbled, I struck expecting it to be the bottom again and saw a decent sized fish swirled and took off upstream. What ever it was plugged upstream for a moment and then decided that screaming off downstream was a better option. It took off fast enough to have me running down the bank after it. It never jumped which had me guessing what it was before I ever saw it. Sure enough after a few minutes a 16" sucker was in the net. Not exactly a competition winning fish but fun none the less.

George meanwhile had smelled the beer back in the cabin at Rio and had taken off downstream so far I couldnt see him. From this spot to Rio was another slow deep section so I took off the nymphs (dropped out of the one fly of course) and put on a wooly bugger. I then trolled with the kayak all the way back to Rio without a hit but watching the ducks and the osprey over head. I met up with George back at Rio and decided to fish the section just downstream of the campsite where I had caught some good fish in the past. Again the colored water made finding the gulleys between the rocks difficult and no fish were caught. I did find a massive hexagena may fly drying his wings on the surface. As I paddled back upstream to Rio I passed another angler landing a really nice smallmouth bass, the first one I had seen caught on the river. George and I hauled the yaks out, picked up his truck and stopped off the the Reelfly shop to drink trout slayer beer and talk fishing with Brent and Ashley.

A tough fishing day but a great day to be out on the river and looking forward to doing it again next year!
Matt

George's spot

My Guadalupe Redfish

Big may fly

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:38:23 PM by MattBlyth »

DonH

Re: Gfisuadalupe One Fly
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
I fly fished this back in the seventies,,,but not very experiance,  This will be new with the club an I consider myself a newbee and would like to team up with Golden if he can put up with me...

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
We'll see.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
This is an old thread for the outing a year ago. Use the new one for 2013.