Author Topic: June in the West Bay Marsh  (Read 73 times)

docarie

• View Profile
June in the West Bay Marsh
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:39:28 AM »
I fished in various south shore marshes for 16 days of the 30 days in June. The 14 days I stayed home was due to unfavorably high wind, family logistical complications, health issues, and other assorted bummer, lame excuses.  Caught 17 slot size redfish during June.  Was skunked on 5 of the days.  On the best day of the month, June 21, caught 5 slot size reds.  The largest red caught during this month was a beautiful 28".  I don't keep any records on undersize reds caught, fish hooked and mysteriously coming unhooked, or fish hooked and then lost due to various amateurish mistakes.

All in all I would say that fishing in the south shore marshes in June 2014 was somewhat better than a comparable time period in June 2013.  There is some very interesting phenomena occuring in some of the south shore marshes.  Increasingly since the Ike storm there is more grass, vegetation, and clear water appearing.  Also the marsh reconstruction projects accomplished over the past 12 years in the areas around Starvation Cove, Pirates Beach, State Park, Jamaica Beach Jumbile Cove, and Sea Isle have created a fantastic redfish estuary. 

July has started off very good.  Have fished on 3 days and caught a total of 3 reds.

Hope to see you out there some day.

So much marsh, so little time.

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: June in the West Bay Marsh
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
 :D

MikeF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Great post, thanks for the update on an often overlooked resourse.

fishrelish

• View Profile
    • Fishrelish Spoon Flys
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »
Great report and pics!