Author Topic: Another New Guy  (Read 91 times)

Chunky

• View Profile
Another New Guy
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Hello all who may come here and check this out.

My name is Mark Johnson. I live on the NE side of Houston. I am 55 years old, and you can either say retired or between jobs at this time. I have always wanted to learn to fly fish, but with raising a family, work, and many other hobbies, I put it off until now.

For the last thirty years I have been spending most of my outdoor time on bowhunting with traditional gear...plus a little golf thrown in.

I have always fished some when the opportunity came up. I have even owned a couple of bass boats. However, I would say that at best I was a fair fisherman. More lucky than skillful.

I have bought what I believe is a decent starter outfit and I am reading, watching videos, and practicing in the yard. I have yet to try and catch a fish.

My new gear is an 8wt rod and reel, because I see myself fishing more for bass, whitebass, trout, and redfish in the one to ten pound range.

I am looking forward to meeting some other fly fisher persons, and I hope to go on some outings, when I have enough skill so as not to be a hazard to the others.
entry level novice, but headed up the learning curve!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
Hello Mark - Always great to have "another new guy." We were all new guys and beginners once, some more recent than others. Practicing in the yard armed with videos is a good way to start. Might also consider getting some casting lessons, you'll find that to be an instant accelerator. They can critique your stroke and offer corrections. There are several in the club, and we often have someone providing a informal clinic prior to our meetings.

A really great way to start is to go fishing! Come on out and join us - and welcome to a new addiction!

Regards,
George

Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?