Author Topic: May in the West Bay marsh  (Read 131 times)

docarie

• View Profile
May in the West Bay marsh
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Started fishing the south shore marshes in mid May this year.  Fished 11 days and caught a total of 8 slot size reds.  On one of the days I caught 3 fish.  The others came 1 a day.  The largest was 28" and the smallest was 21."  Had the best fishing on a low tide.  It is my pattern to fish in a different marsh each day starting at first light, and my day of fishing is usually over at 8:30 to 9:00.  After 9 the reds in the marsh usually get all sulky, and I get too hot and tired to stay out any longer.  I take a kayak out to the different marshes in a mother ship, and then paddle around for 2 or 3 hours looking for reds to sight cast to.  The greatest hoot I know is to stalk a red with its back partly out of the water, place the fly in front of its nose, twitch it at just the right moment, strip set the hook after it takes the fly, and then watch it explode out of about 4 inches of water. 

If anyone wants to chat about fly fishing in any of the west bay marshes I'll be glad to participate with whatever knowledge I have. 

Hope to see you out there some day.  If you see me paddling, come on over and visit.  If you see me casting, best to keep your distance. 

Interestingly, in the 20 years I've been fly fishing in the west bay, I have only crossed paths with about 4 other kayakers who are fishing with a fly rod.  Doesn't mean they're not out there.  They're just not in the places where i've been. 

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: May in the West Bay marsh
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
Very nice!! Good report!

If you're interested in East Bay at all, we will be having an outing there in August, launching at Stingaree Marina. Good excuse to check out some new water.
333 - I'm only half bad!