Author Topic: Another good day in the marsh  (Read 101 times)

docarie

• View Profile
Another good day in the marsh
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
Had another great day on the water in one of the south shore marshes on the Galveston West Bay.  Wind was light from the SSW.  Tide was mid range and rising.  I must of paddled about 2 miles starting at dawn. I found a crawler right after daylight.  Carefully worked my way over to it and then spooked it big time by expertly landing my fly exactly on top of its dorsal fin.  My fishing memories are defined by those that got away as much as by those I’ve caught. 

The crawler was the only one I saw until about an hour and a half later I finally found a pod of 5 or 6 reds tailing in a remote back lake.  They were awkwardly on the other side of a barbed wire fence running down the middle of the marsh lake.  By lying flat on the kayak, I eased under the fence and started casting to the pod.  Second cast I hooked into a really pretty 25” red.  The fish kept trying to run back under the fence, but I finally landed it.

Picture attached, and if you’re familiar with the west bay you can work out the visuals and know where I was.  This is the best I can do for the location short of sending you GPS coordinates. 

Hope to see you out there some morning.