Fresh Water Outings > Outing Chat

Pond Fishing for Bass& Perch

(1/2) > >>

Don Hanselman:
 :'(  I carry my fly fishing gear with me all the time in case I see a place that looks like it will hold bass and perch. I have found over the years of  fishing for these guys live in same condition in most ponds... A bass and perch must have structure to live in... I have notice the ponds around the housing areas and even the park ponds don't have any structure at all in these ponds, People wonder why there no fish in them or why the fish don't grow.. This is the #1 problem...no structure no fish... Fish must have a place to live, I mean minnow, crawfish, catfish, bass, and perch.  Without structure no food chain will grow....  So. Whoever is in charge of Park Ponds...an ponds in housing areas please put some lay down dead trees, rocks and a little moss along the banks and even some in deeper water... In a year the difference will show.  I will post some pictures of a healthy pond just with a little of plants and some moss along the banks..

Dave Kelly:
What y ou say is most like the cause for a lifeless pond. However there is one other to be considered.

A bunch of years ago I went to the park/pond at South Post Oak and 610 for some casting lessons.  Friday the lawn was mowed and fertilised. That night it rained. When  we got there the ponds were covered with dead fish.

MattBlyth:
Don

I whole heartedly agree with you. I never ceased to be amazed at those lifeless muddy holes in the ground that pass for a Houston developer's idea of "lakeside living". No reeds around the margins, no lillies or plants in the water. Even worse is the dreaded blue food coloring effect!

I guess for most people they dont see the difference - but anyone who is a fisherman does.

Matt

GDSutherland:
There's a subdivision lake in our neighborhod that is so blue we call it "Lake Tidy-Bowl."

BUT... we have a structureless mud-basin of a retention pond (er, lake) with no grass or lilly pads, and a concrete lip around the entire lake. A few fountains in the middle, it looks pretty nice as you take your evening stroll. Only structure is the slope of the lake, and fish seem to congreate in curves. Even so, it is stocked and is a decent, not great, fishery. There are fish being grown in there; bass caught in all sizes from fingerlings up to 8 pounds. last June I watched as my son pulled out three bass in a row that pulled the boga to five pounds. Lots of smaller bass, tons of perch, and many catfish. A nice way to spend a Saturday morning - a cup of coffee, a five wt fly rod, a few wooly buggers, and a handful of perch and bass.

Would love to see these eveloped into real habitat, but good luck getting a management group to make that much ofr an investment.

Puck:
I must be one of the fortunate ones.

The lakes in our neighborhood have a 6-8 foot concrete lip, but there is also some underwater structure in place.  The pieces look like parts of lawn chairs, with weeds growing on them.

The aeration from the fountains is enough to keep the lakes from getting too hot. 

I've only seen one lake get a fish kill, and that was from a fire ant control gone badly. 

There are no fish feeders but there are enough people feeding the ducks that the fish get dog food and bread on a routine basis.  I'm pretty sure that the larger bass and catfish supplement their diet with ducklings. Once the water warms up a little we can catch LMB, catfish, bluegill, and the occasional crappie out of the ponds within walking distance. 

The major challenge is your back-cast.  Pedestrians take a dim view of you hooking their poodle, or kids. 

I generally take a 3-5 wt, or my spey rod, along with a selection of favorite flies, and spend a few hours walking and casting.

Puck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version