Author Topic: Guadalupe Trout  (Read 887 times)

Nigel

Guadalupe Trout
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Has anyone been to the guadalupe and/or heard anything about
The fishing there lately?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:21:51 AM by Golden »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Guadalupe Trout
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »
There are a couple of folks who post on 2CoolFishing who fish the Guad on a regular basis. They may have some info.
333 - I'm only half bad!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
Found myself in a fly shop in Gruene over the weekend, learning about trout fishing the Gaudalupe tailwaters below Canyon Lake. There are a few guides who fish the area, and apparently there are plenty of stocked 12" trout and 18" to 20" are not uncommon. So says the flyshop operator, anyway. First stocking of the year was last week, so they should be there.

I'm thinking of giving it a try in January. Probably hire a guide to get the feel of fishing those waters; all new to me. Anybody interested give me a shout or a pm...

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

CarpMan

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:44 AM »
I fished the Guad several times last year on the TU lease access program. TPWD stocks the river in several places with small stockies throughout the winter. Its the local TU chapter that stocks the bigger fish within the managed zone roughly in the middle of the trout holding area. This area is managed more as a catch and release fishery and does hold some big fish. Although most probably do not make it through the summer there are always some that manage to hold over and these look far more like wild fish than the yearly stockies. The local TU chapter can be found at www.grtu.org and their forum has up to date river info. I have used a guide on the river for a day before with  Steve Vigil. We used Brent Hodges at www.reelfly.net and had a great time. His rates are reasonable and he was doing a discount for TFF members however I dont know if thats still the case.

The river is mainly a nymphing river althought there is some dry fly action if you are in the right place at the right time. Most of my fish have come from dead drifting nymphs under an indicator. A good spot to try is at the Action Angler on River Road. You can pay $5 to park there for the day and he has a fully stocked fly shop that most of the guides use so he knows whats happening on the river. You can enter the river right there under the bridge and fish your way downstream looking for fish around the boulders and in the deeper holes.

The club usually has a trip to fish the Guad in the first half of the year. Last year we called it off because of damn works but if all goes to plan it should happen this year and I am happy to lead it. I have some ideas about changing the format a little to make it more of a experienced teach beginners set up which I will bring up at the next meeting.

Cheers
Matt

Adam Colorado

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
George:

I would like to go give the Guad a try.  Not so sure about hiring a guide though.  Even though busting big salties seems to be my new flavor, a little fresh h2o action wouldnt hurt especially right after they stock the river. 

CarpMan

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
I am up for a trip in early Jan to check out the river. I will see what I can find out about the TU stockings and the number of hold over fish present. There are also some large stripers and bass in there too.

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »
MY 'LIL BROTHER USED TO HEAD UP THE TU STOCKING PROGRAM ON GUAD.  THE STOCKERS WILL HIT ANYTHING THROWN AT THEM. THE OLDER FISH ARE A LITTLE MORE AWARE. HOWEVER YOU CAN USE BIG DARK STREAMERS AND HAVE A HOOT OF A TIME. ESPECIALLY IF A LARGE STRIPER COMES BY! THE LITTLE MIDGES AND DROPPERS COMBOS ARE FOR PURIST WHO HAVE EXCELLANT EYESIGHT HAHAHAHA! 
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »
Any experience on the best way to fish the Guadalupe? Guides' websites suggest that a raft is best, with a guide at the oars. No great surprise, that. But it may be right...access points appear to be limited. Can one fish this out of a kayak or by walking?

Still considering a guide for the first time to learn, as I wouldn't know nymphing from a nymph...well, you know, but here must be options.

A definite plan for January.

Have a great thanksgiving everyone!

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Nigel

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
The access to the river is extremely limited...best way is to get a guide (or your own tube) and float down river/wade because all the shore is private property. I've also from a number of people that the trout really love the midges in that river.

On a side note, anyone wanna pitch in and buy one of those stream side properties for TFF??? (only kidding) It would be like a time share hahahahhaha....

CarpMan

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Access is definitely limited, although some of the camp grounds allow river access for a fee, and the $5 access at action angler is pretty good as there is a lot of river you can walk from there.  If you are really serious about fishing the river than the GRTU lease access program costs about $120 plus the annual TU fee if you are not already a member. They have about 15 dedicated access points spread out a long the river for lease access holders only and they allow you to get to some of the better spots on the river fairly easily. If you plan on being down there often then its a good deal. If you are just going to do it a couple of weekends over the season they it makes more sense to pay for the access fees at one of the campgrounds and float or wade. Wading can be tricky on this river even at low flows as the river bed has some areas of deep gullys between upturned shale beds that can send you from shin to waist deep in a single step. If you pay attention and wear good polaroids then it should not be an issue. The fish hold in those gullys too. Also be careful about walking or getting out of your kayak above the water line as almost the entire bank is private as already mentioned.

Cheers
Matt