Author Topic: Louisiana Marshes - November CANCELLED due to inclement weather  (Read 804 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Louisiana Marshes - November CANCELLED due to inclement weather
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Lake Calcasieu

When: CANCELLED        
Where: Lake Calcasieu - exact area TBA       
Start  
End Time:    
Trip Leader: Skip Donovan
Phone: 713-822 - zero zero six nine       
e-mail: skipdonovan1 at sbcglobal dot net        

Trip Description: We are making a joint outing with Puck's old fly club, the Contraband Fly Casters of Lake Charles

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: 

Directions: 

About the area:

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:7-10 wt 

Recommended Flies:

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:03:39 PM by Wormdrowner »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Louisiana Marshes - November
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »
We are looking at a joint trip with the guys from Lake Charles Fly club to seek out bull reds. More details to follow!
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Last report a month old...what is going on.  How many of them are going, for how long are they fishing, if we go where are we staying, is there anybody from our guys going? George this is your neck of the woods. I saw that Skip put the word out. If we go are we to stay at the rod and gun club on the lake?  Kinda expensive.  CFC guys putting us up? ANYONE GOING?????
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
Getting excited Mike? :)

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »
Yeah who wouldn't... I know the ball was started to roll sometime ago but other than some recent info from Skip I have seen nothing going on. I'll call Quigley and see if this is something he's handling.

You want to go???? From my last discussion with Skip regarding the Calcasieu Flyfishing Club was they could put together a joint trip. So I am hoping we hear more about it.

I know several of us have talked about going over later in the year (Jan-Feb) taking our own boats and doing a trip to the marsh south of NOLA for the big bulls.  But this trip could be fun too. 

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MikeF

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
Sounds like a great trip......I am in

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »
Skip is leading the trip and will be handling it. I spoke with him Friday and he will have something up shortly.
333 - I'm only half bad!

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
This weekend is actually right in the middle of a month that I am not traveling! As my long suffering wife is now used to me being gone half the time anyway count me in for this one!!

Skip - can I preorder a 40in red?

M

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
I spoke with Skip the morning. He has been inundated with trying to get his condo fixed up. He will try and have more details posted shortly, but what we have so far:

The Contraband Fly Fishers of Lake Charles will be having a meeting & dinner that Friday night with a speaker. They have invited us to join them.  Saturday, we will be fishing Lake Calcasieu. Given the fact that we are still a ways out from the date, they have not determined where on the lake yet. It will depend on conditions. They can provide some spaces on boats, but given they are a small club, that space is limited. If we can have a few guys trailer boats over, that would be helpful. For those who wish to/end up in a kayak, one of the host club's guy will lead a group of yakkers if so desired.

As I said, this is a brief synopsis of where things are. Skip will try and get access to a computer this week and will post more details.

Thanks,

MFQ
333 - I'm only half bad!

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
I am Pro Bobbly in on this one.  Will take my kayak as a precaution. Prefer a boat, piroque or other dry vessel.

ScottB
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:43:43 PM by ScottB »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:26:25 AM »
From Skip:

The Louisiana Marsh Trip will be on Lake Calcasieu.  The selection of this lake was made by the Contraband Fly Casters (CFC) out of Lake Charles, Louisiana.  The CFC will be our hosts on this outing, the first of what I hope will be many more with our fellow flyfishers from Texas and other neighboring states.  Establishing a connection with other fly clubs could open up many new and exciting fly fishing opportunities for us that we can build upon.  Group exchange can't help but mean better things for flyfishers.

Details are being worked on but the event will be kicked off on Friday evening.  We have been invited to listen to Bill Heugel do his presentation on fish senses, Friday November 21st.  They are planning on having food and it will be at the same venue they hold their Expos at.  (Exact location will be forth coming)  This will give us an ideal opportunity to meet our hosts from the CFC and discuss the following days fishing..

From what I've been able to gather from Fred Hannie, a member of the CFC and friend of the Texas FlyFishers (TFF), they are excited about this opportunity and looking forward to it.  Naturally the BIG question is numbers.  Being a small club their ability to take us out upon Lake Calcasieu will depend a lot on us providing the majority of the water-crafts.  That shouldn't present much of a problem as Lake Charles is about as far as Port O'Connor and TFF trailers there routinely.  The CFC said, we will probably split up into two groups with the power boaters going to one put in and the kayakers putting in elsewhere.  Obviously, all of this will be based on water conditions the day of the outing.

Lodging opportunities for Friday and/or Saturday nights as well as license requirements, costs, etc. are being looked into at this time.  Hopefully I'll have more answers to your questions by the September meeting.  Likewise, perhaps you can give me an idea as to how many of you are interested in going.  Much of the planning will be based on how big of a group joins Mary Kay and I.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
I will likely go if someone can take me on their boat.  8)

Roberto
Hardheads? We don't need no stinking hardheads!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:12 AM »
May we please get a status update on this outing?
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
I just looked at the sign-in sheet and I have a feeling it is whoa-fully incorrect. It appears someone used a template that already had names on it. I maybe wrong...but when did that last happen???? 8)
Skip told me he will fill everybody in at the up and coming membership meeting.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »
Is this same weekend as Guadalupe River Fly Fishing Trip..?
"GET THE NET IV"