Author Topic: Port O'Connor Jetties - May 31st  (Read 1081 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Port O'Connor Jetties - May 31st
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Port O'Connor Jetties

When: May 31st 2014        
Where: Port O'Connor        
Start 7:00 AM 
End Time: 5:00 PM    
Trip Leader: Los dos Mikes (Quigley & Graham)
Phone:        
e-mail:        

Trip Description: Fishing out at the big jetties in POC for big jacks, reds, tarpon and who knows what else?

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: Gas for the guys ferrying people out to the jetties. Pay your share for the lodging, booze, food etc. 

Directions: IH 59 south to Ganado take Hwy 172 south to SH 35 turn right to Port Lavaca Tx. At first light across the bridge turn left on Hwy 238 follow road through town.  You will come upon an ARROW sign pointing to the right. That will be Martin L King Street.  (Probably not marked) stay on that road and make the turn. You are on the right street if you pass a catholic church on the right.  Also there is a Dairy Queen on the right too. follow 238 out of town and you will come to a yellow light turn right you will still be on 238.  Go about a mile and you will come to a blinking yellow light, turn left onto FM 1289 and follow till it come to a T-intersection.    Turn left on SH 185 and follow into Port O'Connor. Go to 15th street and turn right.  Follow down til the road makes a bend to the left stop and look to your right.  The White and blue condo is the place Unit No. B.

About the area: Big water lots of boats and a great place to fish. Make sure you have safety equipment on your boats, you might get checked out here. We will be eating in town Friday night at Cathy's (7:00PM). Saturday night we can do same or cook up some fish from the day's catch.

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  (Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:8 - 12 wts. sink lines, wire leaders 

Recommended Flies:Big knarley flashy stuff that sinks quick.

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:59:50 AM by Golden »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Port O'Connor Jetties - May 31st
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:04:33 PM »
Unlocked. We need people with boats to ferry guys out to the jetties.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
I'll have to miss out, once again.   :(

I will be on a river that day.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
Planning this trip too.. samething I will take people with me.. try to catch big reds and jackcarval on fly at the jetties.  I have caught many big reds on 2oz jig with Gulp shrimp tail jigging in 30ft of water around the edges of jetties with trolling motor on a moving tide.. 2oz rattle traps works too...casting paralle to bank with 20# brade with a bass flipping stick,  I think a 10wt rod and heavy flie would work as well...never tried but will do this time. I have caught these big reds maybe six feet from bank in about five or six feet of water.  Do catch big trout sometimes. I have landed a fifty lbs tarpon at the jetties, fishing for trout, also forty plus pound Jack Carvelle fish....be fun on a fly... bring you lunch!!!:)
"GET THE NET IV"

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
Don if you find a 40 lb Jack anywhere in POC Leave it alone! Besides breaking your rod it would probably sink your boat too. They are bad mamajama's. I have only caught one over twenty-five pounds that didn't break the rod I was using no matter what weight it was! Just ask John Purcell. Big reds are easy compared to a jack ...and I ain't lying.  There is something about that last run at the boat!  You better loosen your drag the closer you get the fish to the boat.  ;D
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Scott F

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
I'm in.
Lookin forward to bad mamajama's.
Scott F

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:14:07 AM »
If you're planning on going, please sign up. Priority for boat spots/lodging is giving by order of when you signed.
333 - I'm only half bad!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »
I'm in! Signed up and will be ready to go. Really looking forward to this one, I've never been able to align schedules and make this event. Camping on the island... cool!

Jetty fishing - gotta be ready for big fish. Sounds like I need to go shopping for heavy bite tippet and big chicken-looking flies.

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
        And if  you  plan on walking on the rocks at any time , I recommend a pair of old golf shoes with sharp spikes.

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
If you plan on walk'n the rocks I'd plan on a rattlesnake bite kit an orthopedic surgeon and plenty of single malt to ease the pain of the ten thousand mosquito bites. :o

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
Fellas, I need you to actually sign up, not just mention it on here. Also, please let me know if you're camping or coming back to town so I can plan lodging.

Do we want to have a meal on Friday or Saturday night? Does someone want to cook or shall I make reservations somewhere?

333 - I'm only half bad!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
Lester L. has been gracious enough to volunteer his family's house in POC for us to stay in if you are not camping on the island, as well as bringing his boat to add to the fleet.

Directions: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4471645,-96.402985,110m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The brown roof with fireplace sticking out of it

Major league thanks, Lester!!  ;D
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 05:19:15 AM »
PUCK WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU! ON A RIVER ...REALLY? POOR CHOICE BROTHER, REAL POOR CHOICE!

Also as it has been said ...YOU MUST SIGN IN ON THE SIGN IN SHEET. By doing so you are committed to the outing, boats and lodging.  You don't sign in you will not be counted. 

WE NEED AT LEAST ONE BIG BOAT TO FERRY GUYS AND GEAR OUT TO THE JETTIES ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON. STARTING AROUND 5:00pm  MOST OF THE DAY FISHING WILL BE DONE FROM BOATS EITHER OUT AT JETTIES OR BEYOND.  SMALLER BOATS USUALLY STICK TO THE FLATS. AS IN THE PAST WE HAVE MADE THIS TRIP A WEEKEND TRIP, MEANING FRIDAY NIGHT THRU SUNDAY DAY. IF THAT IS YOUR PLAN PLEASE LET US KNOW SO THAT BOATS AND ACCOMMODATIONS REMAIN WORKABLE. IF YOU PLAN ON STAYING/FISHING OUT ON THE JETTIES PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS  - YOU MUST SIGN THE WAIVER!!

IT IS ADVISABLE YOU BRING SUN SCREEN, BUG REPELLANT, RAIN GEAR, DRY TENT, AND ANYTHING YOU WILL NEED TO GO IT OUT THERE. I SUGGEST YOU TEAM UP WITH SOME ONE SO YOU CAN MINIMIZE THE GEAR. THERE ARE NO FIRES ALLOWED OUT ON THE ISLAND SO THAT MEANS NO COOKING. MICROWAVE AND GENERATOR IS ALLOWED AND COULD ALSO BE USE TO POWER SOME NIGHT LIGHTING...NOT A BAD IDEA.

AS FOR FLY RODS 10-12 WTS FOR JACKS, BULLS AND TARPON. 7-9 WTS FOR TROUT, REDS, FLOUNDER, SKIPPIES, SPAN.MACKS, ETC.

BOATS SO FAR WE HAVE COMMITTED: PLEASE NOTE YOUR BOAT ASSIGNMENT!

Don H.         Bay Boat holds 3 + Captain (Mike Q. + Ray L.)
Les L.      Bay Boat holds 2 + Captain
George S.     Skiff holds 1 + Captain       (Mike G.)
Mike S.        Bay Boat holds 2 + Captain (Alex B. +  Denis A.)
Scott F.        Bay Boat holds 2 + Captain  (John P. + Scott B.)

FOR NOW THAT IS ENOUGH BOATS.

Staying at Apartment B: Mike Q., Don H., Scott F., Denis A., Mike S., Scott B.,
Staying at Mike's RV            Mike G., George S.   
Staying at John's RV            John P.,  Alex B.

Dinner Arrangements:
Friday Night:      7:00PM Cathy's in POC - Honk'n Good Food - BYOB! Captains Meeting After Dinner.
Saturday Night:  7:00PM Grilled Redfish, Fried Trout, Taters, and Salad Everyone is going to help.
It's Catch and Don't Release Night in POC.  We'll have several grills and some frying pans ago'n at the Condo.  Bring your own fix'ns. I've got the Slap Your Mama, Club will sponsor the other stuff.
Need several guys to do the shopping while I drink! YEEEHAAAA.

We Need Some More Fishers...Com'on man! You kidding Me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:21:44 AM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Scott F

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
I am bringing my boat & can take 2 fisherman.
 I can ferry 3-4 with normal gear load.

Scott

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »
I am in for this trip, & need lodging. I am not sure of sleeping on the beach.
I will be bringing 8, 10, & 12 weight rods for any type of fishing.