Author Topic: Fence Lake - June 21st, 2014  (Read 687 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Fence Lake - June 21st, 2014
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Fence Lake aboard the M/V Skimmer

Note: We have a place or two open!
When: Saturday, June 21st, 2014        
Where: Fence Lakes - Rockport, TX        
Start Time: 05:00 am - Load Out 
End Time: 4:30 pm - Return to Dock   
Trip Leader: Michael Quigley
Phone: (713) 213-8150       
e-mail: mfquigley@yahoo.com        

Trip Description: Saturday morning, we will be ferried to St. Joe’s Island aboard the M/V Skimmer for a day of skinny water kayak & wade fishing in the Fence Lake area. About 3:00 pm, the Skimmer will return to pick us up at the mouth of Fence Lake and take us back to the dock

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: Ferry Service aboard the Skimmer will be $25.00 per person. Note: The rate based on a minimum of 10 people. If you need to rent a kayak, they are available at $50.00 per day. Tips for the crew are appreciated. 

Directions:  We will meet up at the Fulton Yacht Basin, behind Charlotte Plummers Restaurant. Once everyone has arrived, we'll load the kayaks and gear out on the Skimmer and head out as soon as the captain shoves off.   
About the area: Fence Lake is a relatively small and shallow bay (averaging about 2-3 ft.).  This combined with the grassy bottom keeps the water clear and should allow you the opportunity to sight cast to fish.  The numerous fingers and creeks should provide ample opportunity to explore the area and enjoy a peaceful day of fishing.

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment: 6-8 wt outfit with weight forward, floating line, tapered leader with a 10-12 lb. test tippet. Extra leader material and tippet.  

Recommended Flies: Shrimp patterns, Bead Eye Clouser Minnows and light colored grizzly seaducers are the productive flies. Spoon flies, crab and kwan style patterns also work well. Size 6 to 2. For surface flies, choose a pattern that will land softly, such as the Gartside Gurgler or a Dink or VIP popper. Note: There is a lot of grass in Fence Lake, both under and on top of the water. You might want to add a weed guard to your flies. You can always snip it off. 

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:02:03 AM by Wormdrowner »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Fence Lake - June
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
Unlocked
333 - I'm only half bad!

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
Re: Fence Lake - June
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
Gracias.

I'm in and asked Wormdrowner to unlock this because I figured we need to start making arrangements for carpooling and booking a place to stay because I figure on needing a place for 2 nights because I know I'll be in no mood to drive home 4.5 hours after fishing all day on Saturday.

There are a number of cabin/cottage type places and some of them have lighted fishing piers too. I figured it would be fun to fish the lights at night in addition to the planned trip.

Thoughts?

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fence Lake - June 21st, 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
First thing is getting the skimmer booked - has that been done?
Matt

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
 :)If I go and take my boat, I can carry two Yakes in my boat  over to at one time..and the crew.. $25 a boat..help on gas...
"GET THE NET IV"

Scott F

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
I'm in.
Scott Fossum

Animal Chris

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
Yes Matt, the Skimmer has been booked.

Chris

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
Yes Matt, the Skimmer has been booked.

Chris

Sweet.

Who wants to see about renting rooms here: http://www.rockportbayfrontcottages.com/rates.html

They've got a lit fishing pier and it's about a half mile from where we'll get onto the Skimmer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:42:55 PM by Finn Maccumhail »

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »
Looks like we are getting a good crowd for this one. What's going on as far as lodging?
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
LOOKS LIKE DAN IS HANDLING SOME OF THAT. SCOTT ARE YOU OVER AT PHIL'S. I MIGHT STAY THERE TOO IF THERE IS STILL ROOM. HOWEVER I HAVE ANOTHER PLACE TO STAY OUT ON THE ISLAND TOO. SCOTT ARE YOU FISHING FROM YOUR BOAT OR YAK?  I NEED TO SEE IF A SKIFF (GEORGE S.) IS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW SOON. I'D REALLY LIKE TO BE FISHING THE BIG WATER OUT BY THE JETTIES IF POSSIBLE. I'M SURE THE TARPON WILL BE THERE BY THEN.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »
LOOKS LIKE DAN IS HANDLING SOME OF THAT. SCOTT ARE YOU OVER AT PHIL'S. I MIGHT STAY THERE TOO IF THERE IS STILL ROOM. HOWEVER I HAVE ANOTHER PLACE TO STAY OUT ON THE ISLAND TOO. SCOTT ARE YOU FISHING FROM YOUR BOAT OR YAK?  I NEED TO SEE IF A SKIFF (GEORGE S.) IS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW SOON. I'D REALLY LIKE TO BE FISHING THE BIG WATER OUT BY THE JETTIES IF POSSIBLE. I'M SURE THE TARPON WILL BE THERE BY THEN.

Well hold on a minute- if there are free locations to stay, why would we pay? I've gotten little response from anybody other than Matt & Quigley.

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
FINN
ONE PLACE I WAS TALKING ABOUT IS A FRIENDS HOME THAT IF THEY ARE DOWN THAT WEEKEND I CAN USE A BED THERE. NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR A WHOLE GROUP. THE ONE HOUSE THAT IS BIG IS OUT ON THE PADRE ISLAND AND WOULD REQUIRE A FERRY BOAT TRIP (ON WEEKENDS - ARGH!) VERY EARLY IN THE AM AND A TWENTY MILE TRIP TO CATCH THE SKIMMER. NOT VERY EFFICIENT.  IF I STAY WITH THESE FOLKS I WILL NOT BE FISHING FENCE LAKE. MORE LIKE SHAMROCK COVE. SORRY I DIDN'T MAKE THAT CLEAR.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »
Gotcha Graham-cracker.

Based on responses I've booked a 2BR cabin with a pull-out couch at http://www.rockportbayfrontcottages.com/rates.html for myself, Blythe and Quigley.

They have other rooms available too but you clowns are on your own there. I chose the above place due to cost, proximity to the Skimmer launch, and having a lighted fishing pier where we can drink frosty adult beverages and catch schoolie trout at night.

If anybody else books there, let me know.

Cheers,
Finn

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
 :-[  Sorry, I want be able to make this one... Fishing ABC tournament in POC..with brothen-n-law.. Next trip..
"GET THE NET IV"

Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
Guys,

I am on a SERIOUS austerity program this summer - need to share costs as much as possible. Carpooling, eating in, etc. I can make this trip, but feel that I might even need to find a place to camp unless someone's got a place to stay.

That being said, really looking forward to this!

Bob
Hardheads? We don't need no stinking hardheads!