Note: We have a place or two open!
When: Saturday, June 21st, 2014        
Where: Fence Lakes - Rockport, TX        
Start Time: 05:00 am - Load Out 
End Time: 4:30 pm - Return to Dock   
Trip Leader: Michael Quigley
Phone: (713) 213-8150       
e-mail: mfquigley@yahoo.com        

Trip Description: Saturday morning, we will be ferried to St. Joe’s Island aboard the M/V Skimmer for a day of skinny water kayak & wade fishing in the Fence Lake area. About 3:00 pm, the Skimmer will return to pick us up at the mouth of Fence Lake and take us back to the dock

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: Ferry Service aboard the Skimmer will be $25.00 per person. Note: The rate based on a minimum of 10 people. If you need to rent a kayak, they are available at $50.00 per day. Tips for the crew are appreciated. 

Directions:  We will meet up at the Fulton Yacht Basin, behind Charlotte Plummers Restaurant. Once everyone has arrived, we'll load the kayaks and gear out on the Skimmer and head out as soon as the captain shoves off.   
About the area: Fence Lake is a relatively small and shallow bay (averaging about 2-3 ft.).  This combined with the grassy bottom keeps the water clear and should allow you the opportunity to sight cast to fish.  The numerous fingers and creeks should provide ample opportunity to explore the area and enjoy a peaceful day of fishing.

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment: 6-8 wt outfit with weight forward, floating line, tapered leader with a 10-12 lb. test tippet. Extra leader material and tippet.  

Recommended Flies: Shrimp patterns, Bead Eye Clouser Minnows and light colored grizzly seaducers are the productive flies. Spoon flies, crab and kwan style patterns also work well. Size 6 to 2. For surface flies, choose a pattern that will land softly, such as the Gartside Gurgler or a Dink or VIP popper. Note: There is a lot of grass in Fence Lake, both under and on top of the water. You might want to add a weed guard to your flies. You can always snip it off. 

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.

Wormdrowner:
Unlocked

Finn Maccumhail:
Gracias.

I'm in and asked Wormdrowner to unlock this because I figured we need to start making arrangements for carpooling and booking a place to stay because I figure on needing a place for 2 nights because I know I'll be in no mood to drive home 4.5 hours after fishing all day on Saturday.

There are a number of cabin/cottage type places and some of them have lighted fishing piers too. I figured it would be fun to fish the lights at night in addition to the planned trip.

Thoughts?

MattBlyth:
First thing is getting the skimmer booked - has that been done?
Matt

Don Hanselman:
 :)If I go and take my boat, I can carry two Yakes in my boat  over to at one time..and the crew.. $25 a boat..help on gas...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version