Author Topic: Port O'Connor One Fly - July 26th & Jetty Clean up July 27th  (Read 1615 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Port O'Connor One Fly - July 26th & Jetty Clean up July 27th
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: One Fly - Port O'Connor. Sunday Jetty Trash Clean up

Boats and Rooms are now completely Full-Up!!

When:         July 27th 2014.  Attention - Rain date is August 2nd which is the following week       
Where:        Port O'Connor, Texas       
Start:          Sunrise (6:44 AM) 
End Time:    4:30 PM   
Trip Leader: Michael Quigley
Phone:         713-213-8 one five zero       
e-mail:         mfquigley at yahoo dot com       

Trip Description:  Take you best saltwater fly and do your best to catch as many "inches" of saltwater game fish as you can.  Have your partner keep score and let's see who can win the trophy! On Sunday, the club will be taking trash bags out to the small jetties to help keep POC tidy. We will be picking up trash along the jetties. 

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: If you are staying in one of the Club's per-arranged lodges, costs will be based upon your lodging.  If you are riding along in your partner's boat then you are expected to pay the costs for gas, oil and what ever. (you work that out with the boat owner).  If you are sharing a ride down to POC then the same applies. Dinner Saturday Night will be John's Paella. Friday night, George is grilling steaks over at Les' Lehman's place.  

Directions:Head south on 59 to Ganado Tx, turn left and head towards Port Lavaca, follow signs to Port O'Connor Tx. 

About the area: You know it. You love it. If you're new to it, ask someone who knows!

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  (Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes.
• Wind and/or water proof jacket.
• Lunch, Water, snacks.
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant.
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment: Seven, eight, and ten weights depending on you quarry. 

Recommended Flies: I'd say you probably don't wanna fish a Royal Coachman

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns.
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment.
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.

Please see the attached spreadsheet  (2014 POC One Fly.xls ) for boat & room assignments
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:57:21 AM by Wormdrowner »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Port O'Connor One Fly - July 26th
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Unlocked.

This is a great trip, and a lot of fun.

Let the planning begin!

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Port O'Connor One Fly - July 26th
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
Alex has scored us the condo we used last year with the multiple decks. I must ask that all participants please refrain from nekkid moonbathing as it tends to make the late night seagulls sick......... :P

Please sign up and note if you need a room. I want to get room and boat assignments started as soon as feasible.

MFQ
333 - I'm only half bad!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Port O'Connor One Fly - July 26th & Jetty Clean up July 27th
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »
We decided tonight at the board meeting that we are devoting Sunday morning to giving back a little to the area and are having a trash pick-up on the jetties. You will be fed another fantastic Pavon Paella  8) for supper, compliments of the club. YOU ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO HELP WITH THE CLEANUP ON SUNDAY. I'm no hippy, tree hugging liberal, but it's about time we all gave a little back to community and to the environment.  All in all, it should be a fun weekend! Be there or be trapezoid!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:04:38 AM by Wormdrowner »
333 - I'm only half bad!

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
I am in and will need a bed.

Denis Auger

"Bear"

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »
I was just down last week and waded near the small jetties didn't see much trash at all.  However that cant be said for just outside the east small jetty where there is a two mile stretch that still has debris from IKE!  If you want to pick up some junk I suggest you go there. Make sure you focus on the plastic junk first. It is everywhere and wont go away for oh let's say 10,000 years.  The club will provide some large contractor bags for each boat to fill. I will research where we can dump the collected crapola!

I suggest we team up with our tourney fishing partners and start the clean up around 10:00 am so we can hit the hot fishing spots early in the am. Maybe we can offer a team prize for the most collected junk??? 

Who is bringing their boats? DON H.- GEORGE S.- JOHN P. - Let's get signed up! We are talking next month folks. You boat guys call your fishing buddies and get your crew set. The "One Fly" is not a place you want to be looking for a boat or a partner. 

Mike have you notified the other FF clubs Alamo, Austin, Hill Country, Rockport, Montgomery...etc?
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
Quig............
Post o n the TFF facebook page. We get reads from members of some of the other clubs.

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »
I signed up a while ago, and will be there with the Beavertail.

Looking forward to being on the "Pavon Paella Posse!" Looking forward to that dinner - I'll bring the rum and limes!  8)

GDS
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

dsgarner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
Mike,

As discussed, I'm signed up and rearin' to go. I need a place to lay my head and boat ride. Got to make up time for missing the fun yesterday. Let me know what I can do to help.

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
 If you have any medical problems- you shouldn't be riding on any boats until you see a doctor.. Safety is a big concern.   I can carry four people including myself, if we all are wade fishing, carry two  :)including myself if we fish from the boat.
 :)  "GET THE NET"

"GET THE NET IV"

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
Pavon and I will pledge that nobody goes hungry!

We'll throw dinner together on Friday for those with a hardy appetite. Mike Frankoff and I are starting the cooking team; others welcome to jump in too. We'll grill steaks, baked potatoes, salad, starter, etc. Perhaps a fine "cardboardeux" to complement the meal will be nice. Bring your own whisky, or we can just wait for Alex to show up and drink his like always. We'll split costs, and will  put out a tip jar and expect everyone to contribute their share... should only be about $12 or $15. What a bargain, and you won't have to fight that POC traffic, make a reservation, pay for valet parking, or tip your waiter. I expect we'd have the captain's meeting at the same time.

Of course on Saturday evening you'll have the chance once again to experience the finest culinary delights of the Texas gulf coast, as John prepares his world reknowned paella. I'll let John describe that bit of creme de la creme; he's the artiste' for that event...

Golden says he's planning to add holes to his belt in preparation for the event. I'm thinking elastic might be easier!  :o

Come hungry and ready for fun!

GDS
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
I'm tentatively scheduled to be out a the deer lease that weekend but if that falls through I'll try to make this trip. Gotta wipe the stink off from the Fence Lake fiasco.

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
DannyBoy...Yeah you got to get the "Gayneaux" up and running we'd all like to see that 'lil baby anyways! They are sweet! and POC is just perfect for one.  However...

Let's take a vote...
Deer Lease vs Flyfishing no brainer. You only get to pull the trigger a couple of times all year long anyways!
Deer Meat vs. John's Paella again a no brainer! You're going to use "Come 'ere Dear" anyways. (the gulp juice of deer hunting).
Sitting around an off season deer camp at night dodging scorpions and swatting mosquitoes vs. the night life of POC! DING DING DING Third NO BRAINER.  Folks we got another WINNER The POC ONE FLY is AWESOME!
Get your butt signed up!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:22:17 PM by Golden »
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
 :) The people that will be fishing in my boat is: Tom Parr, Denis Auger, Dave Garner...  We will be wade fishing....?  Bring the items that is required.  I will have water on board.  Tom Parr will ride with me.. with all the stuff in truck an in boat I will be full...
"GET THE NET IV"

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
 :) George-- I will be happy to pitch -n on food prep!

"GET THE NET IV"