Author Topic: 2015 Saltwater Outings  (Read 209 times)

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
2015 Saltwater Outings
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »
While we have a few traditional outings (POC one fly, Prison Permit, Redfish Rodeo), we also have room for other outings. I'd like to solicit from you some suggestions on places that you might like to fish. Please post your suggestions here and if feasible, I'll try to get them on the 2015 schedule. 

Thanks & tight lines!

MFQ
333 - I'm only half bad!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Saltwater Outings
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
Anahauc flats.

San Luis Pass

Brown and Roots flats

Bolivar (Stingaree)

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

kzin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »
those all sound good.

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
We already have three of those on our annual outing list.

Christmas Bay - San Luis Pass normally held in March - April Trip mostly attended by kayakers
Bolivar/Stingaree - Kayak Trip was just last month.
Brown and Root - We normally hit this location during the Redfish Rodeo and the Sunday after the Fence Lake trip.
Anahauc - a blind sight fisherman's paradise and a great place to wade. REALLY?

How about Sabine Lake (kayaks and boats), Port Mansfield (Fly and/or drive-in weekend trip), Arroyo Creek and Flats (Fly and/or drive-in weekend trip). Guided boat trips
Winter trips to Louisiana Marsh (Dec-Feb), Lower Colorado River at Matagorda (boats and kayaks)

We could delete the fresh water outing budget (since nobody really goes) and pay for airline tickets and hotels for down in the FLORIDA KEYS! YEAAAAAAA BABBBBBBY!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the saltwater fishers like to go places where we can relax after long wades, cook a delicious meal, get a good nights sleep and do it again the next day. One day trips seem to me to not see as much participation from our members.

There are a few of us trying to put together some long distance trips to the Bahamas, Keys, Mexico, Belize, etc. 
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MikeF

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
All those ideas sound good.

Louisiana sounds great, its a world class destination practically in our back yard. I think some of the more distant destinations, Belize, the Bahamas ect have tremendous possibilities. It's very possible to get a good rate if we can get a group together which wouldn't be very difficult.We might even be able to team up with the BTT or one of the other groups/lodges participating in research/tagging efforts on saltwater species

Let me know if I can help. I would like to assist in an effort to line up some of these types of trips.

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »
Cow Trap
Ceder Lakes
San Bernard River
Chocolate Bay
Bastrop Bay
Lost Lake
The horse shoes and marshes of Bastrop Bayou
Carancahua Bay
Wills Point
St Charles Bay
Mission Bay
The beach between High Island and Bolivar

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »
Dave these might be places you fished as a youth before the petrochemical business trashed most of the bay systems.  None of these place offers year round sight fishing.  I'm sure they have their good periods but access is pretty limited meaning you have to launch from quite away from the Cow Trap, Chocolate Bay, Bastrop Bay, Lost Lake, Cedar Lakes. If your using a kayak you can be talking a ten mile paddle one way...too far! The bays off the San Jacinto -Ship Channel, though they have fish are still highly polluted and not real safe for a yaker. I'm bettn' you and your daddy used that 3 hp 'rude and the flat bottom to get to these places off dirt roads that have long disappeared!

Mike and Jared Frankoff and I fished the St Charles Bay complex last year during the Redfish Rodeo.  NO SIGHTFISHING TO BE HAD! You can get a boat into Mission Bay without getting stuck in the mud.

Man somebody has to get Dave on the water down in POC just so he can see what we are talking about!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:31:58 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Scott F

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »
We used to do pt Mansfield around easter(not on Easter).  Water clear in most wind & it will be windy in mar or April.  Rent a house for a reasonable rate with or without a night fishing dock.
Cookiouts mandatory cause restraints suck.
I ran it 2 or 3 times & all times had to tell people to leave boats at home.  We had too many boats! And didn't want boater owners fishing alone.
Easy to find productive spots for 1st timers.

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
Book a place over near Appalachicola in Florida for a few days during the tarpon migration (June or July for that area). That way we can split lodging and guide costs.

It's probably a 10-hour drive from Houston (Destin is about 8-hours). Drive over, fish 2 days, drive back. It might be lightly attended but we could probably get 6-10 guys and do it for less than $1000 per man, all-in.

Definitely agree with Louisiana. Especially down in the Grand Isle/Port Fourchon area in winter. Joe French and I posted pics of our respective trips over there with Scott Null. Between my buddy and I, I believe we spent about $800 each but that included lodging, food, gas, licenses, and guide fee/tips for 2 days.

Sure these trips can get pricey for some folks but I think if we can get group rates & splitting costs people would be more willing to commit to trips to places we don't normally get to fish and target fish we don't normally get to target.

If you're gonna get a kitchen pass, go big.

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
I would go for the following:

1) anywhere there is tailing redfish
2) Baja - east cape - roosters off the beach. Flights are cheap in the spring and direct from Houston to Cabo. Might even have a lead on a house to rent right on the beach

Tarpon trip to the panhandle sounds good to!

M

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
Have to tell you I only think about chasing rooster fish from the beach no fewer than five times a day after we went in May of last year.  It is a blast!!! 

I reeeeeeeeely want to go back.  Best time is May. Got a daughter graduating high school next year so I need to be careful about scheduling a trip down there so I don't start undue stress at home.

Start practicing your running now.  Being slow and out of shape (or old and fat) make it a bit challenging at least that is my experience.

ScottB

Oh yeah there's also that old "El Pesky Door" place down in Belize and their two for one deal starting in June/July ...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:12:37 PM by ScottB »

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
Notice To ALL:
BAJA CALIFORNIA JUST GOT WIPED OUT. CABO'S AIRPORT WAS ALMOST LEVELED. I SAW THE NEWS THIS MORNING AND IT WAS NOT GOOD. OLD RUSTY ROOFS, AND CHICKEN COOPS WERE EVERYWHERE. THE HOTELS WERE DEVASTATED! THAT HURRICANE TOOK DEAD AIM AND WON! I WOULDN'T EXPECT ANY OF THE LOCAL OUTFITTERS WERE ABLE TO PROTECT THEIR OPERATIONS. 125 MPH WINDS FOR SIX HOURS! LOOKED LIKE GALVESTON ONLY WORSE.

TRIPS COULD BE CHEAP NEXT YEAR IF ANY ONE OF THE OUTFITTERS IS ABLE TO OPERATE.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Yeah it looked pretty bad. However all that's needed for roosters is a beach, a fly rod and of course fish.

Accomodation will be back up and running by May.  Besides this is east cape so hopefully it was spared the full force of it.

Matt