Author Topic: East Matagorda - Hunt for Big Specks! April 26th  (Read 1545 times)

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
Re: East Matagorda - Hunt for Big Specks! April 26th
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 07:05:11 AM »
Okay - if you haven't signed up you gotta confirm soon, I'm going grocery shopping for a Friday night Shrimp Boil. Come hungry! Oh - and maybe thristy too  ::)! We have fiften people on the list thus far - so if you'd like to sit you might consider bring a lawn chair.

Bill - still planning on the use of your equipment. If not I can easily bring mine...

See you down there; will be a blast

GDS

Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
That is RIGHT we're fishing this weekend...well now that is a wonderful thought. I'm betting I'd better wake up the troops since they've have had plenty of time to fall asleep.  ;D
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

tbonerock

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
Any boat spots shake open for the weekend?  Otherwise I will be in a house full of women in decorating mode this weekend. 
Travis

dunkingmidget

• View Profile
    • Personal FB
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
You poor bastard. Why don't you just come down and hang out at the lodge all day instead of hanging sconces and curtains?

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Travis - give Mike Q a call... he can advise on any available boat spots.

I agree with Michael... don't get caught hanging sconces (whatever those are)!
GDS

tbonerock

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
I found a seat on a boat.  George, Mike told me to tell you, if I found a seat, that I will be there tomorrow for dinner.  As you know I like my steak medium rare.

TR

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »
Great Travis - glad you can make it and won't spend your weekend choosing drapery fabrics.

And... if you really want a steak I suggest stopping at Jay's Chili Shack and ordering one to go. Good luck!  :o Alternately you can dig in elbow deep into the big pile of shrimp that will come off the boiler. Come hungry!

GDS

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Well.....the fishing was tough. The bay was very murky in most places and the wind was 15+ most of the day. Don Hanselman did find some clean water and caught a nice flounder and (I think) two rat reds. Colton lost what he thought was a sheepshead and I believe Alex lost two fish as well. Despite the tough conditions, everyone seemed to have a great time. HUGE HUGE thanks to Bill W. for hosting us at his place and a personal thank you from me for hauling me around the bay all day. MEGA thanks to George S. for cooking up an incredible feed on Friday night

Thanks to Golden for the character assassination  ;)  in anticipation of my pending nuptials and thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

The next trip is to the POC jetties on May 31. Be there or be trapezoid!

333 - I'm only half bad!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
I almost forot the classy act of Justin Pool and his boat on Saturday. He, Colton and Gary were flagged down by a couple of guys who got lost an ran out of gas. Justin towed then all the way across East Matty back to the boat ramp. The guys gave up a sizable hunk (about 3-4 hours and 23 gallons of gas.) of their day to help out some fellow anglers. I hope the fishing gods look kindly on this and have some serious karma headed their way. They earned it!
333 - I'm only half bad!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 06:40:10 AM »
One of the best times one can have when not catching any fish. Not for lack of trying, though, covered a lot of water. When we found clear (ish) water there were no fish. Huh. Some very experienced anglers came away with the skunk.

Yeah - great job Justin for towing those guys all the way back to the dock. I saw that G3 go by heading west, and thought they looked a little out of place out there on the bay. Running out of gas, with no gps? They were lucky - could've run out of gas in the intracoastal with heavy barge traffic. I'll bet they install a gps and learn to watch their fuel...

Had a great time, guys - looking forward to the next one! POC jetties will be a blast!

GDS

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
All I know is that we had plenty of good water just horrible skys. There were fish everywhere but you didn't see them until they were right under your boat. Sheepshead didn't want to play anymore, funny how that happens in April. I saw a close to thirty inch red just sitting there in a small pothole. He never moved until I had put five casts right in front of his face. He must not have gotten any sleep Friday night like the rest of us GEORGE!  Your wife must be deaf or her room must be way down the hall! Just Say'n...I see a C-Pap machine in your near future BROTHER. We saw one big trout but she had different ideas and they were in the other direction than what we were going!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »
Mike, Mike, Mike... that's not snoring, it is merely the sound of contentment. Only happens when I drink too much. And... I drank too much.  :o Shocked I know.