Author Topic: Colorado River in Columbus - May 10th  (Read 689 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Colorado River in Columbus - May 10th
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Colorado River in Columbus

When:     2014-05-10 (10th May, 2014)   
Where:        
Start  
End Time:    
Trip Leader: Need one
Phone:        
e-mail:        

Trip Description:

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: 

Directions: 

About the area:

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment: 

Recommended Flies:

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:51:24 AM by Puck »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Village Creek Big Thicket - May
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »
Do we have a leader for this one yet?

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Village Creek Big Thicket - May
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
Do we have a leader for this one yet?

Puck

Nothing heard.

Do we still want to make this trip?

Puck

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
Re: Village Creek Big Thicket - May 1st
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
I'd love to but May 1st is a Thursday...

...also- Village Creek is a bit of a hike. I was looking at an alternative I could suggest and what about the Colorado River in Columbus? The old 71 bridge to Beason's Park is only about 6.3 miles. That could make for a pretty leisurely day of paddling & fishing. It's only about 45 minutes for you Katy folk and an hour-fifteen or so for me from the Upper East Side.

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
Finn is correct.  Columbus (or LaGrange) might be fun, but we couldn't do it the 3rd due to the auction. Perhaps 10 May?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:50:33 PM by Wormdrowner »
333 - I'm only half bad!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:40:36 AM »
I'd love to but May 1st is a Thursday...

...also- Village Creek is a bit of a hike. I was looking at an alternative I could suggest and what about the Colorado River in Columbus? The old 71 bridge to Beason's Park is only about 6.3 miles. That could make for a pretty leisurely day of paddling & fishing. It's only about 45 minutes for you Katy folk and an hour-fifteen or so for me from the Upper East Side.

Are you willing to lead this one?  If so, I will modify the trip description this weekend.

And I agree with Wormdrowner, May 10th is a great choice for dates.

Puck
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:30:25 AM by Puck »

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
I'm verifying the availability of a hall pass from the rib for the 10th. If I can get one I'll gladly be the "leader" on this one.

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
Re: - May 10th
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
Sadly, I cannot get a kitchen pass for this one. The rib has to go to a baby shower for her cousin and I'm on daddy detail. Little man isn't quite big enough to spend all day floating down the river. Soon.

This is still a trip I want to make happen at some point though. It's a nice stretch of river with lots of fish.

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: - May 10th
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Do we cancel? 

Or is there somebody else willing to lead?  I am committed to Nilo that weekend.

Puck

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado River in Columbus - May 10th
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
Why don't one of you contact Ray Russ! He fishes this stretch weekly.  He just doesn't talk about it too much 'cause he doesn't "want a bunch of hot spotters catchin his fish!" But if you approach him in just the right manner say'n "you're the man Ray"  "Nobody knows it like you Ray." "We need you Ray!" You can take one of your guns and kill something while your there Ray." "We'll all go blind folded Ray." "We just want to see you catch big fish Ray!" He just might go for it and from what I have heard...well I'm not supposed to talk!

...or you can just sit at home wish'n you were RAY!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Harry Crofton volunteered to lead this one. Puck is working with him to square it away.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Ralph45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
I think David Keene and I are going to do the trip regardless of who else goes!  If Harry is going to lead that would be great, otherwise it will be just the two of us.  It's too close to home to not give it a try?  If any body else wants to join us we can meet up around 8:00.  We plan to rent a canoe from Howell Canoe Livery, in Columbus.  I plan to call them tomorrow and make the reservation. 

Regards,
Ralph

Ralph45

• View Profile
Colorado River in Columbus - May 10th
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
Saturday morning at 8:00 AM, David Keene and I made the one hour drive from West Houston to Howell Canoe Livery In Columbus.   They have a large parking lot, nice office with a very clean restroom, outdoor showers to clean up after a day on the river and a large number of quality canoes and kayaks for rent.  We rented a great canoe for the day and they provide a dry box for your cell phone.  The trip starts down the river bank at Howell’s very nice paved ramp and runs 6.1 miles to Beason’s Park at the Highway 90 Bridge.

I was really surprised with water clarity.  The river has most sand and gravel bottom with several rock out crops and of course trees.  The only mud was a the mouth of fairly large muddy creek flowing in from the North.  I seemed to struggle get fish on the hook and had many strikes by small bass on my streamer.  During our lunch stop I managed to pull a nice Guadalupe out swift water behind the island.  David did better during the morning catching a half dozen Bass on his special Cone Head Deceiver.  After lunch we switched to poppers and David landed several more Bass, including a 15” Guadalupe Bass, I managed several strikes but no fish to the boat.  We also saw many Gar and David was able to get a 3 footer to look at his fly.  All the fish caught happened to be Guadalupe’s and appeared fat and healthy.

When we got to Beason’s Park I phoned Howell’s and they showed at the ramp 10 minutes later.  They then hauled the canoe up the hill and loaded it on the trailer.  We jumped into the truck for the short drive back to the shop.  After a few minutes storing gear and changing shoes we on our way drive home.  We arrived back in the neighborhood by 5:30 PM after a great day on the water. 

I think, this is a trip that should be on the club’s outing rotation, it’s close and offers a quality experience, it’s not too difficult and I think it’s much better than Town Creek that was originally proposed for this weekend.  I think Howells Canoe Livery is a great resource for trips to the Columbus area.   

Regards,
Ralph

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
Thanks for the great report Ralph.  Did you take any photos? Did you find any deep holes worth investigating? Bigger fish usually hang out there. How was the river flow? did you have to paddle much? How much was the cost of the livery service, and canoe? Club members will want to know.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Ralph45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
No photo's the camera was lost in the bottom of my pack.  I was really looking for it when David caught the 15" Guadalupe.  The IPhone was in the dry box! 

The river current was lite to moderate, but picked up at times.  The wind was the main issue that made paddling necessary.

The Rental rate for canoes and double kayaks is $45.00 and solo kayaks are $30 or $35, but check their website.  I don't know what they charge for a shuttle, but call them to find out. 

There is a large 25' deep hole at the "Wall" (a large timber construction) built by the railroad to prevent erosion) about a quarter mile above the take out.  Mr. Howell said there use to be large Alligator Gar in there, but the bow hunters took them all out.

Regards,
Ralph