Author Topic: Guadalupe One Fly - January 18th, 2014  (Read 4568 times)

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
Re: Guadalupe One Fly - January 18th, 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 06:42:34 AM »
Great John! Glad you're coming. I'm thinking you'll need an air mattress/ sleeping bag.

Matt - is the cabing now full?

By the way - weather forecasts, which are always correct, say that Saturday will be a great day on the river!

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

dunkingmidget

• View Profile
    • Personal FB
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
When is everybody leaving? I'm interested in leaving Friday, noon-ish. Anybody interested in splitting gas? I live in the Energy Corridor.

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Has anybody thought where we are going to eat Saturday night? I was thinking of eating @ Gennaro's Trattorian Italian restaurant, the establishment we visited last year EXCELLENT FOOD.

Reservation are highly recommended if we decide to eat there, give me a head count and I can make reservations for about 7:00 PM. I will add one or two more to the head count in case others want to attend. Please reply by Tuesday evening to allow me to make the reservations. I may have to make two table reservations if we have a large group.

Denis Auger
Bear.

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Great idea Denis...count me in. Molto benne!

Grazie

Georgio

dunkingmidget

• View Profile
    • Personal FB
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
I'll partake in the Italian food & festivities

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
I'm in!
ScottB

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
I am going to make the 7:30 reservation at Gennaros Trattoria for Saturday night reserved for Bear, Scoot B. George and dunkingmidge plus two for empty seats. Gennaros Trattoria  phone # is 830-899-2800 if you want to add your name. The reservation will be under Denis Auger and will be placed @ noon today. The two extra seats you can fight over but I won't have a dog in this fight".

Bear

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
Hey Bear - could you make the reservation for 8? I think John Purcell want to join us as well.

Eh, Pavon?

George

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Made Reservations for 8.

Bear

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 10:31:54 PM »
Folks

With a heavy heart I have to drop out of this weekends fishing trip. I have family in town from the UK and I need to attend to them (despite the fact that they are family and therefore should be used to me being gone fishing). George Sutherland has kindly agreed to lead the trip - be nice to him!

here is the plan as I had it:

Alamo Flyfishers are fielding about 7 people for this trip and they plan to meet us at Rio at 8am for the check in (George I will pass you their trip leaders info). They are pretty much all floating the river in kayaks and fishing streamers apparently. My plan at the end of the day was to meet at the fly shop, drink a few beers and see who won.

The cabin is paid for. The cost is $560 for the weekend and it sleeps a max of 8. Remember their are only 4 beds. Checking the forum I have the following people asking for a room for both friday and saturday nights -
1) Denis Auger
2) Scott Breedlove
3) George Sutherland
4) Mike Quigley
5) John Purcell
6) Michael Midyette (Dunkingmidget)
7) ......
8 .......

This is 6 so there are still two spots free. Please pay George for the cabin and I will collect from him.

As far as fly rules - i was actually going to get serious and impose a real one fly only rule this year, even when nymphing. However I will let you decide how you want to deal with multiple fly rigs. To me it makes sense to declare one of the flies on your rig as your one fly, only count fish caught on that fly and if you loose it you are out. All fish have to be photographed, or witnessed by someone more reliable than anyone in this club to count. The folks from the Alamo suggested that every one hands in a spare of their one fly to the trip leader before fishing and that the winner gets the bag of flies at the end. I thought this seemed like a good idea.

Tight lines and sorry I cant be there - any problems call me. I may be around the area Saturday evening and will look out for you.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:59:21 AM by Wormdrowner »

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
Okay - here are the official "rules", or perhaps more correctly guidelines for the event. Sent out in an email yesterday to all who are on the sign-up list, but for general communique' here they are:

Pasted in from an email, so please overlook formatting errors...

•   Start – meet at Rio 7:30 to 8:00.  Might want to hit the river early, since it is a prime Saturday with good weather. I hear there is another group event (PACK) fishing as well, so there might be a crowd.
•   Liability waivers – we should have a stack of them, and we often simply have many people sign one form.
•   Fish till 4:30 or 5:00, whenever people want to get off the river.  Sunset is 5:56 pm, but if you fish that late the cooler will very likely be empty. Your call.
•   Meet back at Rio to compare catches and results. There might be an opportunity to reward your efforts with an adult beverage along the river.
•   What constitutes a “one-fly?” Here are the rules:
o   If you are Nymphing a two-fly rig is considered a “one-fly.” No more than that.
o   Anything else (streamers, dry fly) should be a single.
o   If you lose your fly, or any part of your nymph rig, you are out of the competition at that point and your score is complete.
o   Total score is cumulative inches of fish caught on your one-fly.
o   Sucker fish are not fish.
o   Winner is the angler who catches the highest number of cumulative inches of fish.
•   Also – Bring a duplicate of your one-fly to be contributed to a pot, and the winning angler will take home a nice set of flies.

Be ready for a great time on and off the river! We'll post results and editorial commentary when the event concludes.

GDS

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
Well, it seems that on Saturday, January 18th, there were two kinds of fly anglers. Those who participated in the Guadalupe one-fly event, and then, well, the rest of you. The former group was the fortunate few who had a great day of fishing, great food, meeting new friends, and an outstanding time on the river. And what a great event it was. A combined event with the Texas FlyFishers and the Alamo Fly Fishers from San Antonio, with a total of about twenty anglers equally split between the two clubs. From the TFF'ers we had John P, Scott B, Mike Q, Denis A, Michael M, Barry S, Jim R, Travis R, and George S...did I miss anyone? From the Alamo Fly Fishers we hadWalter R, David G, Steve F, Paul C, David R, Santiago S, Kurt M, Bret R, and probably some others whose signatures on waiver forms I could not decipher. Big group, great participation!

Action started on Friday, where a couple of TFF anglers decided to “pre-fish” the river in hopes of gaining a competitive advantage. Scott B. and Denis A. hit the river early Friday morning, but reported no catch. Skunked. Yeah, right, that is what they “said.” But who knows, maybe it was true, and the only competitive advantage they gained was knowledge of what flies were not working, and where the trout were not. As people started arriving Friday afternoon the coolers opened and several TFF’ers made the traditional trip to Lucky’s Sports Bar on Canyon Lake, home of the chicken fried ribeye steak. That’s right, a ribeye. Wow. Then back to the cabin at Rio Raft for more laughs, stories, and elbow-deep plunges into the cooler and a pull from a brown bottle.

Saturday dawned clear, bright, and cold. Thermometer had plunged to 30 degrees – brrr.  Fleece under your waders and hot coffee being the order of the morning. The guys from the Alamo Fly Fishers, led by club president Walter R., began arriving about 7:30 as planned for the start. Really nice guys, and lots of introductions were made. There were several kayakers in that bunch.  A quick orientation on the official “rules,” er, guidelines (there seemed to be some disagreement regarding whether a sabiki rig could be considered a “one-fly”), and all were off in different directions. Many wading, several kayaking, and John P. and George S. declared a pro-am division and fished with guide and friend Capt. Brent Hodges.

Here’s the morning gathering; you can just feel the focused intensity in this group!

Then off to the fishing! The river was running rather low and slow, and not quite as clear as we’d seen it, but conditions were good for fishing and it was a gorgeous day. Many quality trout caught over the course of the day. Great thing was that they were big – 16” to 18” pretty common, with perhaps a few above that. Some as small as four inches (mine), and many in the 12” to 14” range.  All the trout were plump and healthy. Females were really thick, and despite all care taken at the release many were releasing eggs. This is consistent with the egg pattern being a very productive fly. The luck of individual anglers varied considerably. Some caught many, some just a few, and some… well, turned in a zero score. Fishing was best with a nymph rig, with eggs and midges receiving the most hits. Our most productive flies were a rainbow warrior or an orange egg.

Here's John with a nice bow!

Hey look! George caught one too!

So who won the event? Michael Midyett turned in the top score for the event, with five trout totaling 77 inches of fish. That’s pretty impressive – a 15.4” average, and a testament to the quality of the fish in the Guadalupe. Michael is quite a fisherman. A recent transplant to Houston from Colorado, it is pretty clear that he was born with a five weight in his hand. As anglers returned in the late afternoon, there was a fully stocked cooler handy, and lots of stories from the day’s adventures. Prizes awarded, and everybody present received a small token. I’m still envious of Mike Q., who walked away with a very nice hat courtesy of the Alamo Fly Fishers.  Then it was off to a great team dinner with both clubs at Gennaro’s Trattoria, in nearby Startzville. A really good Italian restaurant; they graciously reserved a table of fifteen on a very busy Saturday night. Complimentary champagne was served, toasting new friends, and more stories. High marks for Genarro’s; you must give them a try when you are in the area.

Big group and a big dinner:

Sunday morning dawned cool with a light fog rising from the river. Great thing about staying at Rio Raft is you walk down a gentle slope to excellent fishing right out your back door.

Here’s the mystery angler who caught the fish featured on the home page – John P. landed this beauty on Sunday morning right outside the back door of the cabin. Nice fish John!

And that fish made a bit of a splash before it came to hand...

Here’s Michael M. showing off his Nymphing form.  I’m waiting for him to teach a Nymphing class for the Texas FlyFishers! You can see his loop forming in the photo if you look closely...

We couldn’t have asked for better event. A great group of guys from the Texas FlyFishers and the Alamo Fly Fishers coming together for fishing, food, and fun. Thanks to Walter R., president of the Alamo Fly Fishers, for bringing a great group of anglers to join the event and make some new friends. We’ll need to collaborate on future events, and I think we’re all looking forward to next year’s one-fly event on the Guadalupe.
Thanks to all who made the trip such an outstanding success! And please – post up your stories and photos boys!

Looking forward to the next one!

Cheers,
George

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 05:32:42 AM »
Great, great write up, George! You did an awesome job stepping in to help Matt make it happen. Thanks to you and to Matt for a great event!
333 - I'm only half bad!

Pavon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
I second the motion. Thanks George

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
I'm jeoulous --That is a beautiful country.  ;D
"GET THE NET IV"