Author Topic: Valentine's Day trip for early white bass.  (Read 231 times)

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Valentine's Day trip for early white bass.
« on: February 07, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
Details to follow.  I have the details, but who wants to make their spouse angry at them for this day?

Canoe or kayak.

2-3 hour drive from Houston.

I will only share the GPS points for launch with those that sign up.  This place is on public water, and can easily be be added to those "best kept secrets"

How to sign up: 
1. Sign Up Here,
2.  e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:54:15 AM by Puck »
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day trip for early white bass.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »
I will only share the GPS points for launch with those that sign up.  This place is on public water, and can easily be be added to those "best kept secrets"

Puck
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:55:18 AM by Puck »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day trip for early white bass.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »
5 signed up but only Dean and I went.

We left Katy at 0300 and were parked at the boat launch at 0550, after passing the sign in the fog.

As we were putting the final rigging on the kayak and ready to take the first one to the water 3 trucks showed up all at once out of the fog.  We lost our spot in line for a moment, and then realized that we were small enough to squeeze by the larger boats in this one lane launch.

Boat boats in the water and lights on at 0615.   Since this was Dean's first time out in his kayak, he did a little more adjusting once he was on the water, as I went ahead to the fishing spot given to me by W. Ross, another retired Vet.  First white bass hit at the deep hole about 1/2 mile from the spawning beds.

Fishing was fast and furious, with fish running into our legs until about an hour after sunrise,  Then it slowed down, and most folks called it quits.  Dean and I moved up-river for another mile or so, exploring.  Only a few more fish were caught upriver, to include a small crappie.

We easily caught 60+ fish during the trip, and harvesting only 20.

The what bass run is almost over in this spot for the year.  Of the 20 for the table there was only one female.

I have the GPS coordinates locked for next year.

Puck