Author Topic: San Marcos River - August 9th  (Read 816 times)

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: San Marcos River - August 9th
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
This weekend!!

If you haven't fished this river yet, talk to those that have.

It is well worth the short road trip.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
I gotta put the wife on an airplane this weekend or I'd be there. Have fun & be safe!
333 - I'm only half bad!

Ralph45

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
Only six folks were able to make the trip this year. But it was a great group, with two father and sons, Andy and Johnathon Leach, Tom and Will Anderson, Bob Brill and Myself.  We meet-up at Spencer’s Canoe Rental and Kevin gave each of us a box of flies selected for the river.  Kevin had also arranged our shuttle up to San Marcos River Retreat where we started our float.  The morning was filled with lots of sunfish and a few Rio Grande Perch including a monster caught by Tom.  I managed to hook and boat a 2’ long gar and many sunfish.  We saw a number of interesting sites along the including a flock of wild turkeys and the wildlife at Don's fish camp.  Shortly after noon we pulled the boats on to a nice gravel beach for lunch.  Everyone brought some food for lunch and Kevin added to that with a nice spread of deli meats and cheese, breads, chips and brownies.  I felt the afternoon fishing was a little slower, but the other folks seemed to be doing well, as I saw a number of hook-ups.  A short distance from the takeout point, I managed to hook and boat  a very nice Large Mouth Bass.  I think everyone was happy with their day on the water.  Tom and Will were both new to fly fishing and did very for their first time on moving water.

At the take out spot Kevin passed out a goodie pack to each of the participants, made up of beer glasses a couple of beers (soft drinks for the young men), Peanuts. Bottle opener, eye-glass case, sun glass strap and a custom Hill County Anglers Cap with Texas Fly Fishers, San Marcos River, 2014 monogramed on the back.  The adults enjoyed a cold beer and conversation before hitting the road for home.  Kevin Hutchison deserves a special thanks for his generous support of the Texas Fly Fishers, and making this trip outstanding.   

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:31:47 PM by Ralph45 »

Ralph45

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »
I will try to post some more pictures.