Author Topic: Colorado Boy Learning the Texas Ways  (Read 440 times)

dunkingmidget

• View Profile
    • Personal FB
Colorado Boy Learning the Texas Ways
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
I moved to Houston 3 months ago because I graduated from Colorado School of Mines last spring and an O&G job dragged me away from my mountains, my drift boat, and all the freshwater trout.

That being said, I'm pumped to be trying such a different world of fly fishing. I'm currently dicking around in Buffalo Bayou some days after work, and I haven't caught the same species twice. I've been w/ Steve Soule and caught some speckled trout and a red. These samples have been fun -- I'm ready for more.

But I want to start increasing my repertoire of fishing buddies. If you need someone who's got your back for a day of fishing, please contact me. I'm interested in investing in a kayak or SUP, but I'd like to try them both first. Does anyone have two kayaks, SUPs, or one of each? I'd like to go out with whoever is willing to show me around (whether for an all-day trip or an afternoon in the bayou). In gratitude, I'll be more than happy to pay for a couple rounds at the end of the day.

Ciao!

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado Boy Learning the Texas Ways
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
Firstly. Welcome to Texas, Welcome to Houston, and lastly, Welcome to the Texas FlyFishers web site.

Check the thread about "Thursday Night at Orvis". That event is getting populuer.  Meet some of our members and others.

FYI. if push comes to shouve, REI rents kayaks.

We have a couple of exciting outings planed for this month. PINS (  Padra Island National Seashore ) is a surf trip down below Corpus. You don't have to be a  club member to attend,,,, Don't be bashful about asking for an invite. See the outing pages.

And besure to attend our monthly meetings and intorduce yourself atound.

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:50:15 AM »
Hello Dunkingmidget...

Yeah, what Dave said. X2!

Lots of opportunities through this outfit, and the people in it, to cast flies in either saltwater or freshwater. Come on and join the fun - there is aways something coming up on the planning horizon. PINS this month (what a blast - dry camping on the beach and fly fishing the surf), and next month is one of the major events of the year, the Redfish Rodeo to be held in Rockport.

Welcome!

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
If you'd like to try out kick-boats/ kayaks, etc. 

Come on over to the D7Ls outing in October.

October 5th, 2013, back to "The Lakes"

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

dunkingmidget

• View Profile
    • Personal FB
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
I look forward to it all, gents! Thanks. The site makes it easy to get connected down here. Until the next fishing trip... ciao

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
What you really need to know is we have another recent graduate from the Colorado School of Mines in our club. Yeah and he was eat'n up with goldens and cuts and all that up there (who wouldn't) but he has felt the salt air breeze in his face while standing on the front of a poling skiff with a school of ten reds tailing in range. Dude that is LIFE CHANGING STUFF! His name is Adam and I will have him send you a PM to introduce himself.  He can hold his liquor fairly well...well he does seem spew a little every now and then!

WELCOME AND GO GET AN 8 WT.! Also a poling skiff would be good to have too!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Don Hanselman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
Welcome... I just finish working a job in Denver over a two years of learning how to fly fish the streams and rivers around Denver area. Really got a workout.. Decker, Blue River, South Platte in Littleton.  I have a 22.5 Shallow Sport with a casting deck in front for both fly fishing and bait casting .  I'm learning to improve my fly casting and catch more... I have been a bass pro for fisherman for fourteen years and grew up on the Texas coast know alot of saltwater fishing places... I call anything over 5 feet of water is deep..My favorit bait casting lures is the She Dog (top water) and Mirrow Lure( jerk bait) and some plastics.  Be happy to show you some bait casting too.  good to know all types of fishing.
"GET THE NET IV"

Pavon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
John Purcell, VP of Club. Welcome. If you are still looking for a kayak or SUP Fishing Tackle Unlimited 713-827.7762 will be having an on the water demo soon. Call for dates.
Regards