Author Topic: Port O'Connor Jack Crevalle  (Read 1003 times)

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Port O'Connor Jack Crevalle
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
Brett Walker and I went out with Brent Hodges in Port O'Connor this past Saturday to do a little pre-fishing for the One Fly :) The reds were fairly uncooperative due to a combination of dirty water, clouds and the biggest fishing/party tournament I have ever seen with Poco Bueno in full swing.
However the jetties were fairly empty and the seas were calm enough that we made it out there in the beavertail with no issues. We saw one big school of tarpon busting on the top but they disappeared before we could get to them. However blind casting giant mullet patterns at the jetties produced several nice jacks and on two separate occasions something that pulled an entire fly line and a serious chunk of backing through the rocks before busting through 40lb fluoro and leaving deep score marks in my fly line. Wish I had seen what it was. Jack pictures below:

Matt

ScottB

• View Profile
Re: Port O'Connor Jack Crevalle
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
Good looking fish!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:42:41 AM »
Looks like a great time - congrats on a few nice jacks. I've caught a few small jacks, but I'm still waiting for the big one. Maybe this next weekend...

GDS
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:07:05 AM »
Nice Matt!  This next week is going to be a good one as far as the calendar goes.  That is all I'm going to say until next week.  Seeing is believing.  Bring your cameras.  Cant believe you were able to find a place to stay.  POCO BUENO is outrageous.  the town swells to almost 6000-8000 people!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
George - bring your 10wt, and intermediate or sink tip line and the biggest flies you have. If the weather cooperates Nick, Alex and I will be at the jetties early in the morning. The pain in my right bicep has gone now and I am ready to taco another fly rod :)

Mike - no places to stay in PO - we had to stay in Port Lavaca and make the last drive early in the morning. You were right about it being crazy - there were boats everywhere and the channel in front of clarks was packed with so many party people it looked like spring break. I wonder if all those women in bikinis swiming knew how many sharks there are there :)

Looking forward to the weekend!
Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
No they didn't but the guys placing bets on the dock did!

I will tell you this if your out at the jetties fishing the One fly GOOD LUCK you'll get broke off in no time out there! HAHAHAHA!

We both will be fishing out there but on Friday or Sunday  Also ten weight is undermanned out there.  Bring 12 wt.s

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »
You mean I can't fish one fly for the jacks and one fly for the reds?? Honestly this saltwater one fly seems much more serious than the freshwater one!:)

We did have a 12wt but we wanted to keep it rigged and ready should the tarpon show up. Last thing we wanted was a tarpon showing up when we were fighting a jack and have nothing to throw at it. The 10wt did fine on the jacks as they headed away from the rocks and into the deep water when hooked. I got busted off twice by something else though - it knew just where to go and how to take my fly through all the rocks. I am guessing a bull red maybe?

Matt

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Who is fishing this Friday?

Bear

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:44:59 AM »
Matt you will see that this is nothing like the Guadalupe One Fly. First off the fish out in the salt want to EAT YOU! REALLY... Second the Saltwater One Fly trophy has the names of some of the best saltwater flyfishers in the State of Texas. Third WE DON'T NEED NO STINK'EN 4X TIPPET HERE! LOL

See you there and don't be late!  By the way why don't you call the palace and offer the Royals the name "Jack Crevalle" ...just a thought. Cheerie-O.  Cant wait to see you and Alex get together on Nick's boat. HAHAHAHAHA
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:46:10 AM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
Mike, I challenge you show me the legendary Port O'Connor man eating redfish! :)

And for that comment about my fishing partners..well we will just have to catch the most fish then wont we!  Croaker's count right?

Cheers
Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Errrr just as a follow-up  :o thought I would remind you where the trophy now sits.

MY OFFICE:

JUST SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR NAME COULD GO SOME DAY.

BUT TO WIN YOU MUST GIVE IT YOUR ALL!

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO TIE!

But I'm betting your boat had the most fun!  I wish you guys would have fished with us. Maybe next year! Until then GOOD LUCK!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Animal Chris

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
BUT TO WIN YOU MUST GIVE IT YOUR ALL!

And some seem to get to all a little quicker than others!