Salt Water Outings > Outing Chat

Supreme Sabine


George and I went over to Sabine lake to fish on Friday.  We found the weather was perfect with good sun and light winds for the better part of the day.  The water was stained and sight casting was difficult. Quite different from our last trip back in early December when the water was absolutely crystal clear.  From 7:00 am till around 11:00 Am we used conventional tackle like mirror lures and plastic rat tails.  George had a huge trout slap at his top water... how that fish missed the thing who knows.  I stuck to the plastic pattern and was rewarded with a large flounder. You really have to concentrate when fishing for flounder. They tend to pick up your bait so you feel a light "peck" then they'll come back to it and hit it so you have to wait to strike. On this fish I felt the pick up and just pointed the rod down at the water after about two seconds I felt the line tighten so I set the hook hard.  At first i thought I was hung on the bottom or I had hung up on some grass. It just didn't feel like a fish until as I powered down on the line I felt the tail beat.  What a good fight this flounder gave. Once we saw how big this fish was the excitment level went way up.  George grabbed the boga to make the landing.  He grabbed the line and the founder went ape.  But after a few seconds the fish was ours.  23" flounder NICE!

Well here she is...

We set up for another drift in a similar area and I caught another fatty using the same technique.  You have to be patient after feeling the first "peck".  This one got away and looked to be close to the size of the first one we landed. About an hour later I caught another that was close to 17".  Sabine is full of flounder.  We then grabbed our fly rods and searched out some clean water.  As the breeze was freshening a bit we found an open shoreline.  I poled George along while trying to find some fish but the water color was difficult to see in.  We did come across two reds right up against the shoreline that George got off a shot or two but was unable to turn their interest.  Later George was up on the platform and I saw a small shrimp jump from the water real close to the shoreline so I tossed directly to it and was rewarded with a redfish instant strike.  The fish taped 19" and was healthy and strong.  I caught two more but neither were sight casted to...more like there should be a fish right there and there was!

So I had a small slam working but I needed a trout.  George and I were pondering if we were done or just done fishing where we were. I told George I had a special spot where i know i can catch a good trout was he interested in a short drive in the boat.  Heck yeah he said so off we went.  As i directed George up this small canal I could see the apprehension growing on his face. As we drove by several small marsh drains we spoke of how cool this spot is for a kayaker. Once we arrived at the spot George was thoroughly confused. There was a group of crab fishers working their chicken necks less than twenty feet from our boat.  There was a small bridge just in front of us that is way to low to the water for us to get what are we doing here this doesn't look like a trout spot. I threw flys for a short time but no strikes.  So I picked up the rat tail plastic and maybe my third cast BOOM a heavy strike and the rod tip started that wonderful dance that says TROUT.  Soon we could see the spots of the fish and I was stoked. SABINE SLAM was done.  The trout measured 17" and was thick. George got the pictures and hopefully will post them up here. 

We had a good time just getting out on the water for the first time in awhile.  Both of us talking about how we plan to fish the POC ONE FLY at the end of this month.  I was supposed to be fishing several new flies given to me by one of my favorite flytyers testing them for the One Fly.  Oops I forgot them back in town! DOUGH!!!!!!!!! But we'll be ready.

Great write up on your adventure Mike. I'm in Denver and my son Cory from Alaska surprised us with a visit here so Andrew, living in Denver, Cory and I fished Deckers on Friday. Andrew and I caught some Bows and had a great time. I'm fishing with Landon Meyers tomorrow.

That sounds great.  Does Cory Fly Fish? 

Yeah - Mike and I had a great time fishing Sabine... just wishing the water clarity was what it was last December. Thinking that this is more of a cold water fishery for fly fishing; better clarity and sight casting conditions. There are some really nice shorelines in the area that apparently rarely see anglers. Too shallow for most boats, wading difficult with a soft bottom, and very limited road access. Those three things = limited fishing pressure. There are navigable channels running through the areas, which provide deeper water adjacent to flats and small islands. Pretty darn fishy.

Here are a couple more shots of Mike's world class fllounder. Rare to see one that large, and the biggest I've seen. At one point in the fight Mike was convinced it was a snag on the bottom and that the boat was moving. Then... we saw the fish and man did the endorphins kick in. Here's a photo showing 23" of length, you'll just have to trust us (well, maybe me) that the tail was at the zero mark.

Also learned that there is really no water where Mike won't fish if he believes there are fish in it. He's the one, after all, who put White Oak Bayou on the fly fishing map, even next to the wastewater plant.  Here's mike casting into his secret hidey hole. What does that sign on the fence say?

Here's a closeup of the sign - sheesh!

Finally, a shot of the trout that Mike dragged out from under the bridge. Easy to sight cast to those fish, they give off an eery iridescent glow.

One final thing - we learned how well the Beavertail withstands a large wake from a passing ship. Several barges had passed us while fishing near a channel without issue. When a large ship goes by we carefully watched its wake. Stayed flat as the ship passed, we're good! Then, as the ship was about a half mile past us the wake begins to pile up on the flat we were fishing, resulting in about 4' of tsunami that is moving stainght towards us - and fast. We're drifting over shallow water with the ingition off and the motor tilted up... ruh roh! A quick jump into the cockpit, fire the engine while lowering the motor, and try to outrun the wave running parallel to its very tall and steep surface. It became clear that we were not going to be able to pass the wave before it hit us broadside, where we swould have certainly fliped, so there was nothing left to do... turn the boat on plane hard left and dirctly into the wave, hit the throttle, and punch right through it. I still have the visual of Mike sitting on the casting platform, holding on tightly, with water coming over the bow up to his waist. The ol' Beavertail roared right through, dropped into trough behind, recovered nicely, then right into and through the next one. And then the third one. Whooo Wheeee....! We were out of the wake, soaked, with the cockpit completely full of water, flip flops and dry bags floating everywhere. Boat still riding high and under power... hit the bilge pump and quickly drained the cockpit. Laughing, sort of, we headed off to the next stop for Mike to try for the slam. Man, I like that little boat!

Ended up a great day, Mike with a slam (er... grand slam if you count the crab that wouldn't let go of his soft plastic), and a few good stories. That area of Sabine is definitely worth a TFF outing; very accessible by kayak as well as boats, and an easy day trip. We should plan another adventure this fall after the Redfish Rodeo...

Looking forward to the POC one-fly!

Dry bags ...what dry bags that was my camera inside that simms bag that died.  Mr. simms needs to pay!


[0] Message Index

Go to full version