Author Topic: July Outing - Port O'Connor "One Fly"  (Read 2432 times)

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
July Outing - Port O'Connor "One Fly"
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
PORT O'CONNOR "ONE FLY"

When:                    July 27, 2013       
Where:                   Port O'Connor Tx.        
Start Time:             4:00 AM 
End Time:               4:00 PM   
Trip Leader:            Mike Graham
Phone:                    832-298-3855       
e-mail:                    mgraham-rrsm@comcast.net       

Trip Description:      Carefully choose your favorite fly and catch as many fish with it as you can.  No fair changing fly, adding sweetner, once it breaks off or falls apart your done!  You can re-glue if necessary.  Winner is contestant who amasses the most total inches of GAMEFISH using his ONE FLY.

How to sign up:Sign Up Here , on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: No anticipated cost (You may want to help your boat driver with a few dollars for his expenses, though.)

Directions: Google Port O'Connor Tx. Take 59 south to Ganado turn left to Hwy 35, take right to Port Lavaca and follow signs to Port O'Connor.   
About the area:Grass and sand  flats everywhere.  Not easily fished from Kayak unless you are strong paddler or have a big boat to fairy you out. Front beach is hot right now too.

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Wading Shoes and Sting Ray Guards
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:6 to 8 wt. for inshore action, 10 - 12 wt. for Jacks, tarpon or kings if you want to venture out off shore.

Recommended Flies: Clousers, sea-ducers, crabs, and mullet imitations

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:21:26 PM by Puck »
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

ScottB

• View Profile
Re: July Outing - Port O'Connor "One Fly"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
Sign me up for lodging.

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
Put me down for a room & boat.

Denis Auger

Bear

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »
Room & boat, por favor.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
Well, I wanted to come to this one. But.....we are leaving on that Sunday for vacation. I intended to bring the Shallow Sport down and haul Quigley. I wasn't going to "keel haul" him though.

Joe
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

MattBlyth

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
I should be in - room and boat please.
Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
ONE FLY OUTING INFORMATION
The following information has been posted for over three weeks
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE: if you need to cancel your lodging arrangements you must do so by the 5th of July or you will be responsible to find a replacement or pay the amount due.  I will want everybody who is going to stay in the Lodge to confirm by that same date. No Exceptions!

So far we have in the order they signed up. 
5/15    Mike Q.     Lodging             rider w/ Martin W.            CONFIRMED
5/28    Scott B.     Lodging             rider w/ John P.               CONFIRMED
5/28    Denis A.    Lodging             rider w/ Jack K.                CONFIRMED
5/29    Matt B.      Lodging             rider w/ Nick S.                CONFIRMED
5/30    Alex B.      Lodging            rider w/ Nick S.                 CONFIRMED
5/30    Greg C.     Lodging        rider w/ Don H.
5/30    Mike G.     RV                    rider w/ George                CONFIRMED
5/30    George S. RV                     boat w/Mike G.                 CONFIRMED
5/31    Travis R.   Lodging             rider with Gary E.              CONFIRMED
6/01    Nick S.      Lodging             boat w/ Alex B. and Matt B.CONFIRMED
6/02    John P.     RV                     boat w/ Scott B.                CONFIRMED
6/03    Jack K.     Lodging             boat w/ Denis A.                 CONFIRMED
6/04    Don H.      Lodging            boat w/ Ray R and Greg C. Barry S.
6/05    Gary E.     Lodging             boat w/ Travis R.               CONFIRMED
6/05    Barry S.    Lodging             boat w/ Don H.
6/10    Ray R.      Lodging              boat w/ Don H. w/ Jack K.CONFIRMED
6/17    Adam M.   Lodging              rider with Martin W.             CONFIRMED
6/17    Martin W. Has Lodging       boat w/ Mike Q., Adam M.    CONFIRMED         
7/18   Skip D.     Lodging             boat w/ MayKay                   CONFIRMED

CHECK FOR UPDATES HERE
5/31 I put out the word last night via email so let's see what happens with our boaters.

6/02  Spoke with Alex we have decided to go for the Condos.  Meaning less cost per man, gain of two boat slips, and much closer to boat ramps - Speedy Stop - at less cost.  We are checking on if there is a minimum stay period.

6/03 Klinger is in! Denis Auger will ride with Jack!

6/04 Just spoke to Marcos and he is going to see how his 'lil "cooter" is running and says he will be attending the One Fly. If his boat is healthy then he will need a fishing companion.  One who is of the adventurist type and who doesn't mind being on a 12' scooter sliding through the marshes at blinding speeds! Moooowhoooooohahahaha

Mike Q. is calling some of the boaters tonight and found out that Don H. is fishing with us and will be bringing his bay boat.  Mike will be riding with him and Don has room for one more so I'm thinking Greg C.  Don, Greg is a terrific fly tier and knows my secret fly...that he has sworn not to re-tie for anybody...ever again...never ...but just maybe he'll tie you one up for a ride!

6/05Gentleman we now have another attendee...Gary E. will be joining us and will bring his skiff too.  Gary's claim to fame is that he likes BIG FISH and is not scared to chase them either. He has room for one rider and is willing to share his boat and years of experience.

Alex has organized the Rabe House as our lodge for this outing.  It is located near the Fishing Center. Does not have boat slips available but we have plenty of parking.  It is very reasonably priced and that is what we need.  The place has a BBQ pit and outdoor deck and patio and is quite nice.  If you are supplying a boat for this outing you will get priority on a bed if you need one.  Also I would ask if you have a inflatable bed bring it just in case it is needed.  If any beds are left, we'll have a casting contest for the remainder. HAHAHAHA!

So at this early date we have enough boats for our riders.  If you want to attend and have not signed in - contact us (Mike G. or Mike Q {713-213-81 five zero}) and tell us your plans.  We will see if we can get you on a boat and if needed into a bed. This is fantastic.  We have a few other places nearby we can put people up but you better check in with Alex B. soon.  There are all kinds of rentals available.  I will expect some plans will change between now and then but for now this looks like one of the best outings in years.  John P. you might want to put together your cooking team for the dinner for Saturday night.  Also a recent receipt from Spec's Liquors will be required for admittance (you catch my drift?).  Friday night we'll all go over to Cathy's and drown in her all-you-can-eat shrimp too! WHAT??????????????

6/06Barry S. signed up last night and will need a place to stay and ride on a boat.  We'll see what we can do.  I'm quite positive that other boaters will join us soon as they have been contacted. We also can double up on some of the larger craft.  If you know somebody on the fence about coming, especially if they have a boat, well then let's see if we can get them signed up. That is the key if you do not sign up you will not get in Remember I have asked that once you sign up that you contact one of us so that we may help keep this outing organized.  Also keep checking back here for up dated status reports so you are in the KNOW!

6/10 Ray Russ signed up today. We now have expanded into a 3rd condo & have space for 3 more fishers.  Found out this evening that Greg C. has previously scheduled outing with Wounded Warriors which he committed to some time ago.  Greg we fully support anything that helps our great defenders of American Democracy.  Thanks for the heads up have a super time.  This now opens a spot in the lodge and on Don's boat. Right now that will Barry S.

6/18I have just heard from Martin W. who says he is going to fish with us and bring his big boat. Also heard from Adam M. who can now make it so I will team Mike Q. and Adam on Martin's boat.  I am not sure how long Martin is going to stay in POC so you riders need to contact him and find out if you plan on fishing on Sunday.

6/30Well here we go to the countdown. Remember by 5th of July If you do not contact me about a cancellation you will be confirmed as attending.  All meaning you will be responsible for your $hare of the outing.  PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ATTEND. I am getting jazzed up for this one.  I have several prototypes to test out before the outing from my fly tying friends.  Thinking George and I will hit the SABINE next week to try out these flies.  CANT WAIT!

7/07
Just heard from Barry S. who will not be able to make it for the outing. If you know of others who want to attend you might want to let them know to jump on this opening.

7/08Just got word from Don H. who unfortunately is not going to make it due to work.  So that boat is now eliminated from our fleet. Ray R. you were on that boat...so we are sliding you over to the first boat available list.  Which there is another boat available I just don't know who the Captain will be. You might be in for an adventure! ::)  Alex is working hard on coordinating the accommodations. I hope John P. has been putting is food list together and who besides George is helping prepare dinner with John?  Adam M your young and dumb and full of energy, you're in lil brother!

07/19  Skip and MaryKay D. are going to join us for this outing and they will have room for one additional fisher.  I'd like that person who ever it is to have good knowledge of POC area to help them out.  Skip has an 18' center console with plenty of power. They will be lodging with us.

07/23 All lodging and boats are full at this time!  If you want to go better make your own arrangements and we'll see you there!

HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS TO THE RABE HOUSE. FIRST GO TO PORT O'CONNOR TX. ENTER TOWN AND GO TO 15TH STREET AND TURN RIGHT. GO TILL YOU SEE THE CORNER HOUSE AT 15TH AND COMMERCE STREET. THAT IS THE PLACE. BLUE TWO STORY DO NOT PARK YOUR CARS IN THE DRIVEWAY. THAT WILL BE RESERVED FOR BOATS

Thanks to guys that have helped so far put this outing together!  Mike Q. & Alex B.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:27:37 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »
Sign me up for a bunk and a place to park my boat trailer...

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

tbonerock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Ill take a bed and like everyone else I need a seat in a boat. 

Wycoff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
Sign me up for a bunk and slip (or trailer parking). It appears "The Beavertail Navy" is representing.

Jack Klinger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
Mike:

I just sign up for the One Fly.  Put me down for the condo for the hole weekend.

Salty Flies,
Jack
Salty Flies,
Jack

BarryS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
Mike, I signed up.  Need a bed and a ride, if possible.  Can paddle, if not.  Thanks.

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
Gotta see if I can clear a hall pass on this one with the wife.

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
Confirm me as of now, if not my share will be paid.

Who do we pay?

Bear
Denis Auger

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »
We are approximately ten days out.  I need some confirmations from everybody. Gunna be a good time fer chur!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>