Author Topic: 20th Annual Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival  (Read 2468 times)

Animal Chris

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
20th Annual Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »
20th Annual Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival
Hosted by the Texas FlyFishers

Saturday February 4th, 2012
At the Bethany Christian Church
3223 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77098

Fly tying for everyone…Beginner, novice or expert!

Everyone mark your calendar for February 4th, 2012 and plan to attend the Texas FlyFishers 20th Annual Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival. Enjoy this unique opportunity to sit beside and learn from some of the best tyers in the country. Bring along your family and introduce them to a lifelong, fulfilling pastime of fly tying and fly fishing.

This year’s featured guest is

Tim Borski

Noted artist, outdoorsman and innovative fly tyer.
Tim is the creator of the Chernobyl Crab, the Craft Fur Shrimp and many other productive patterns
PLUS

Many of the Area’s Finest Fly Tyers

Six 1 Hour Programs with closed circuit video for viewing tying skills up close
Six continuous hours of fly tying demonstrations of warm water, cold water and saltwater patterns
The Beginners Corner – Learn to tie one of the easiest and most productive flies ever - The Wooly Worm!
The Casting Pond – Now is the time to try your hand and fly casting (Weather Permitting)
And, visit the Vendors Booths for the latest products and equipment

When:   Saturday, February 4th, 2012 from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. Drop in for a visit or stay the whole day.
Where:  Bethany Christian Church located at 3223 Westheimer (between Buffalo Speedway and Kirby), Houston, Texas 77098
Admission:  Adults: $10.00, Seniors (62+): $8.00, Teens: 12-18: $5.00 or the Entire Family: $14.00. Children under 12: Free with paid Adult or Senior.  Meal tickets will be also be available.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:25:37 PM by Animal Chris »

redhead

Re: 20th Annual Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
Chris,

Please tell me what part you wish Damon's Seven Lakes to play. What is on your schedule?

Mike

redhead

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »

I think Chris and I past the newbee stage a few weeks ago. Why does this appear on our entries? Everyone knows how sensitive I am!

Mike

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »

I think Chris and I past the newbee stage a few weeks ago. Why does this appear on our entries? Everyone knows how sensitive I am!

Mike
These are groups we all go through acordiig to the number of post.
Jr Member
Hero Member.

I have the ability to change these names. Come up with something apropos with fly fishing and I will be glad to do so.
My creative juices are not flowing to swift right now.

boblogan

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
Well I hope everyone gets a whole bunch of fly tying stuff for Christmas and a shiny new vise!  Just in time before the Fly Tying Festival!!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
I am back in town, finally, and am ready to resume tying SCE flies. 

Do you think I'll be allowed to tie flies and talk? 
(Guess which one I'm better at?)

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

red stripe rod

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
Is Lefty going to be there?

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
Tim Borski was a hoot!! Had a good time. Chris Summers did great job putting on fine event that was fun and informative.

Joe French
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
John Carpenter, I am sure is very proud of Shelby. He taught her everything he knew and she improved it so much!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:59:56 PM by Joe French »
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Good pictures Joe.

I had a camera in my pocket and never too it out. I was too busy talking
(others would say "running my mouth")

There were so many folks there that I hadn't seen in a long time, and I spent a good part of my time swapping stories and catching up. 

Lunch was wonderful!  I didn't know I was hungry until I took the first bite.

Next year I plan to get up and move around more.  I missed too much, this time.  Somebody fill me in!

Puck
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:18:05 PM by Dave Kelly »
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
You are right Puck there were a lot of smiling faces here today we don't get to see that often round these parts.  The overwhelmiing theme I got from this years festival was the number of youngsters in house and tying flys.  A new generation of tyers and fishers is developing in this sport and it shows from the rods and gear the equipment manufacturers are promoting to the number of new youthfull fly fishing sites you find on the internet.  The equipment is now becoming more affordable for the younger generation and allows them to experment without going broke!  You could see the excitment in their eyes that others really were interested in seeing what they (the kids) were doing and how they went about tying their favorite flys.  I was really impressed with Joel's kids.  I wish I wrote down all of their names but just sitting there and watching each of them told me they have received some first class instruction and motivation from Joel. Their level of concentration while at task was incredible and will only help them in their endeavors later in life.  Congratulations Joel you are the MAN! Seeing how Shelby Carpenter has grown and the respect she commands while at the vice is joy to watch. Her ability to communicate what she is doing to others shows her maturity well beyond her years.  John...You did good BROTHER! Casey Smarts son looked like a chip off the 'ole shoulder.  Casey showed how proud he was of Rhodes all day long.  Rhodes showed leadership qualities and personality traits that should make his parents extremely proud.  Then there was little Brandon he was like "STOKED" all day going from one tying station to the next introducing himself, shaking hands and striking up a conversation like he's been your friend for years.  What a Kid. I expect his dad has his hand full with him from time to time but I think we have found a winner here.  I'll be watching for him to do big things in this sport!

Then of course there were the Master Tyers.  WOW, some of these people can really tie. The lady (missing name) who was tying up the butterflys and jewelry accents, man she was impressive. Diane Blair had a group in front of her all day long.  She is highly accomplished for sure. Then it became apparent to me that many women are now slowly sneeking in the back door of the fly shops and becoming leaders in our chosen sport. Having Tim Borski as our "Guest Tyer" was truley a wind fall for our festival. When he was tying one of his famous patterns not a move was missed by the onlookers.  It was intense! See spome of Ron Mayfield's work was cool.  This guy has the goods and a real gift for teaching his patterns.

I got a huge kick out of watching George Sutherland tie up his first clouser fly.  Hands shaking, wetting his lips, concentrating not to make a mistake, learning his wrapping skills, and finnaly coming up with a very good looking and hopefully productive fly.  George bring that one with you to the Brownline next time we get a chance to go and I'll make sure you get a big girl on it and then you can retire your first to a picture shadowbox for your livingroom's mantle.  Success will be your's brother.  Anyways to much talk and not enough photos huh! Enjoy.

Good croud and folks moving around everywhere.

Dinner was delicious too.

Here is Rhodes Smartt tying a salty pattern.

Shelby Carpenter and her Deerhair flys.

I didn't get this young mans name but he was steady tying all day long.

One of Joel's students intensley tying to perfection.

Can't leave 'lil Brandon out. He's all about big bold colors.

Here Mike Drone is exposing lil Conner to his sport. Marcos was there too.

Diane Blair had everybody's attention when she tied. Thanks for coming Diane.

These are some of Ron Mayfield's Saltwater collection.

We can always count on Bob Logan to do a great job. He has a real ability to communicate his patterns.

Bill Sargent's flys were incredible.

Here is a close look at some of his Deerhair patterns.

Side angle.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is George's first ever tied fly.  What a grin... bet he can't wait to get that baby in the water! Wait where's the hook?

These guys  (Scott, Jim, Joe and Harry) are full of food and conversation and are just taking in the festival. Thanks for your help too guys!

That's John Carpenter hiding behind his magnifier tying up one of his shrimp patterns...don't forget to bring them to our Sheepshead Outing John!

Now this guy traveled a long way to be here and said he was impressed with our festival.  Thanks for being our Key Tyer Tim and you are welcomed back anytime.  Just leave your snakes at home... Tim Borski!

Jerry Loring tied up these Salty Beauties.

Folks, I cant lie... this little shrimp Jerry tied up is deadly on the flats!

The olive shrimp pattern is going on my rod very soon.  Look out Sheepshead your mine.....

So here is a group of our guys all lined up outdoors for a chance to cast the big two handed rod that the fine folks from TFO brought out.  Thanks to TFO for being so supportive of all of our events. They seem not to be thirsty as well.

Big Jim trying his two hands with Banning. SWOOOSSSSSSHHHH....!

I want to say thankyou to all the tyers who offered me a chance to use one or more of their flys. I will report back to you of my successes and ...well there won't be any failures! Like I said before...what a great time was had by all. Special big thanks goes to Chris Sumers organizing what has to be one of the top fly tying festivals in the country today. We are all very proud of what was accomplished here today and plans are already being formulated for next years PARTY! If you came, thanks for your attendance, if you didn't I hope to see you here next year. ...and as always thanks to Mr. Ed Rizzolo for providing the inspiration for this festival.
GOLDEN
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:28:32 PM by Golden »
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

John

• View Profile
    • Flyfishing, Flytying, Saltwater
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
This was one of the best ones yet, Tim Bosrski is a super nice gentlemen. Nice to visit and see everyone there. Chris hats of to you for pulling this off buddy great job.

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »
Yep... that event was truly impressive. That was my first real exposure to fly tying, and so much talent packed into one spot was really something to see. Quite a lot of artistry in motion.

Thanks Puck for coaching me through a first attempt! May be the start of another new adiction.

Good stuff...
George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?