Author Topic: March Saltwater Outing -- Sheep Head  (Read 4122 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
March Saltwater Outing -- Sheep Head
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event:

When:              March 10, 2012       
Where:             Sargent, Texas       
Start Time:       7:30 AM 
End Time:         4:30 PM   
Trip Leader:      Alan Kulkak/Mike Graham
Phone:             MG - 832-298-3855       
e-mail:             mgraham-rrsm@comcast.net       

Trip Description: Sheeshead outing most sheepshead caught captures the trophy for a period of one year

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: Bring your own provisions No anticipated cost (You may want to help your boat driver with a few dollars for his expenses, though.)

Directions:   

About the area:

mportant items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Wading Shoes and Sting Ray Guards
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:

Recommended Flies:

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:26:30 AM by Dave Kelly »

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: March Saltwater Outing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
If you plan on attending this outing please sign up early and indicate on this thread who you are bringing if anyone and if you are bringing a boat and can take riders. So far all that have signed up are myself, Scott Breedlove and Jim Collins.

I have heard from John Carpenter who said he is bringing a friend. Aaron Hammer and others have said they want to come but I need for them to sign up so I have a good count.  Others attending with boats Alan K., Bill W., Wendel B., Ray Russ (Ray's boat is possibly full at this time).

Would like to hear from Scott Fossum, and others who might attend.

GOLDEN
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: March Saltwater Outing
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
HERE IS THE UP TO MINUTE STATUS OF THE TEXAS PRISON PERMIT INVITATIONAL (you all are invited!)

Boat No.    Captain            Rider               Rider               Rider   
    1.        A. Kulkak        S. Breedlove
    2.        W. Braezel      M. Graham
    3.        B. Wallace      A. Hammer         ROBERT B.
    4.        J. Carpenter    S. Lee
    5.        H. Soape        A. Muire             J. RICHARDS     S. Vigil                   
    6.        J. French       
D. Puckett
    7.        J. Collins        M. QUIGLEY         
    8.        R. Russ           Mk. Arnold         Mt. Arnold     
    R. Cowart   
    9.        J. Purcell        A. PURCELL

How's that!

As for the accomodations:
  PEOPLE - YOU NEED TO ACT FAST!

If you are coming down friday night and need accomodations here is what I know.
Alan is allowing us again to use his place in Sargent for those wanting to stay Friday Night  He has room for about 8 comfortably. He also has several roll aways and foutons and I personnally know of five staying there now.  AK, SB, JC, SL, JP.

Wendel's place has room for three and those are filled at this time. However, one of those is
a non-comfirmed full size fouton!

Thursday I tried to contact another fisher who has a residence in Sargent and to see if there are any openings.  I know some of you are coming down sat am with RR. But I need a hard count if anybody needs a place to stay.  I heared from MQ, AM, AH, DP and JK so far.  Some of you may want to bring inflatable beds or whatever since three of you are so tall you have roots instead of feet!!!!!!!.

THE ADDITIONAL BAY HOUSE IS NOT AVAILABLE. HERE IS WHAT I HAVE FOR NOW

ALAN'S HOUSE                                                              WENDEL'S HOUSE
ALAN K.       BED UPSTAIRS                                           WENDEL B.  BED
SCOTT B.     BED DOWNSTAIRS                                      MIKE G.      BED
JOHN C.       BED DOWNSTAIRS                                      ADAM M.    FOUTON
SAM L.        BED DOWNSTAIRS                                      *STEVE V.  FOUTON (May become available)
JOHN P.       BED UPSTAIRS
ANDREW P.  BED UPSTAIRS
JIM R.         INFLATABLE

TO THOSE NEEDING BEDS - MIKE Q., DON P., JACK K., AARON H. WE HAVE ROOM FOR INFLATABLE BEDS AT ALAN'S AND WENDEL'S ALSO ALAN HAS SOME ROLL AWAY BEDS TOO, BUT I AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE PRESENTLY BEING USED.  IF YOU HAVE SOME TYPE OF BED OR SLEEPING BAG OR WHATEVER I RECOMMEND YOU FIGURE USING THEM.  ALSO I WOULD ARRIVE FRIDAY AROUND 6 PM TO CLAIM WHAT IS AVAILABLE AS FAR AS TEMPORARY BEDDING IF YOU NEED SOME. you might try contacting Alan to see what is available Remember 1st come 1st serve.

Next up-date by Friday PM I'll be going to the show on sat. if you'd like to join me.

Fri. 7:21 PM - Joe French is joining our outing and is bringing his 180' shallowsport.  Can I hear a Halalulla Brother! (See his thread below)  He will have space for two guys for wading.  As of yet Steve V. has not signed in for comformation. Handled! Dr. Joe will fill you in on how many he'll put on his boat (Puck you're onboard).    Also Jim Richards is joining us and will be staying Friday night, He is bringing an inflatable bed. Jim you may or may not need it but go ahead and bring it just in case!

NOTE: ALL UPDATED INFORMATION PRINTED IN PURPLE

Monday Evening - I have looked ahead and the weather for this coming weekend is the pits! 40% Thursday, 60 % both Friday and Saturday...this is not good.  I will suggest, if we need to reschedule to move the outing to the 24th of March.  I have not spoken to any of the East Matty home boys  Alan, Wendel and Bill but it looks like we better have an alternate plan. Look back here for important updates.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:26:40 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: March Saltwater Outing -- Sheep Head
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
Just recieved a PM from Jack K. who will NOT be attending the March Outing.  That means we just lost a boat.

So being fair as I can be, Don Puckett has been moved to Bill Wallace's Boat and Steve Vigil has been bumped as he has not firmly committed to fish even at this date...sorry Steve :'( maybe if another boat or spot becomes available. You're first on the list (after you sign in) to be placed on a boat!

Either that or have Klinger give you the Keys to his HPX!!!!!!!!!!  After all Jack was listed as a committed fisher!

THIS IS OLD INFO. GO TO THREAD ABOVE TO SEE UP DATES!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:34:26 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
WEATHER IS LOOKING LIKE THE PITS FOR THS WEEKEND.  READ POST ABOVE

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
We got an e-mail telling us that the event is moved to the 24th, due to weather.

I am already commited for the 24th, so I won't be able to make it.

Puck
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:32:00 AM by Puck »
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Hunter Soape

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
The forecast keeps changing, wind forecast is getting better and chances of rain vary according to where you look. Everybody keep your fingers crossed and pray for good weather.

alankulcak

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
Looking at the weather the winds for saturday have improved much, how ever now on friday we have strong 30+ north winds.  and the rain is still at 60%.  My experiences with this type of weather in the past for east maty is that the north winds will pound on the south shoreline and make it a mud hole,  tides will drop and what ever shoreline was protected by the grass will be dry land leaving a narrow strip of workable shoreline and with the 90% cloud cover our odds are not good.  The north shoreline may be decent but there is not really any good spots to string out waders and sheeps are scarce as they do not parade down the shorelines like they do on the south shoreline.   I think it will be wise to reschedule it to the 24th.  Keep posted as Mike will notify everyone tonight.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:55:16 AM by alankulcak »

Adam Colorado

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
From WeatherUnderground.com as of 10:37am

Friday: Overcast with thunderstorms and a chance of rain. High of 70F. Winds from the WNW at 10-15 mph shifting to the NNE in the afternoon. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.3 in. possible.

Friday PM: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain. Low 55F. Winds from NE 10-15mph. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amoundts near 1.0 inches possible

Saturday: Overcast with thunderstorms and rain. High of 68F. Winds from the NE at 10-15 mph shifting to the ESE in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60% with rainfall amounts near 0.6 in. possible.

Saturday PM: Overcast with thunderstorms and a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 55F. Winds from the SE at 10-15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Sunday: Overcast with a chance of rain, then a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the afternoon. High of 73F. Winds from the SSE at 10-20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Looking more and more like some really poor weather.  I doubt the sheepshead mind, but after battling the weather 2 weeks ago in POC, I would certainly favor rescheduling and hoping for some decent weather.

Adam Colorado

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
Guess I missed the email.  See yall on the 24th

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
I'm Looking forward to the 24th as well. I'm still in!

I'll go pick up my new kayak this Saturday instead!  ;D

On edit: Bummer. They found some cracks around two of the scupper holes and have to get a replacement kayak, so I won't get it for two more weeks.

Hopefully, our freshwater hooley on St. Pat's will come off w/o a hitch!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:19:18 PM by Wormdrowner »
333 - I'm only half bad!

Mike Frankoff

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
I'm in.   

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks for being so patient.  The weather is what it is.  I do not want our fishers out on East Matty in bad conditions.  There is no where to run for safety except 15 miles against the weather.  It is too bad that sheepshead become catchable at this time of year.  The Outing will be switched to the weekend of the 24th.  Most everybody can attend.  If you can not which I haave heard from a few please let me know.  Especially the guys furnishing boats.  I'll get the new info reposted next week.  If you are reading this and you now want to attend because of the date switch, be sure to go out and buy a new boat!  Nah...just let me know OK...ok.

YOU HAVE NOW BEEN NOTIFIED...DONT SHOW UP SAT LOOKING FOR FRIENDLIES WE'LL ALL BE IN BED!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Still in!

Scott B

Adam Colorado

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
I am still a go too!