Author Topic: May Saltwater Outing - CANCELED  (Read 1351 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
May Saltwater Outing - CANCELED
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston                              CANCELLED - SEE JUNE SALTWATER OUTING
Event:               POC JETTY OUTING
When:               MAY 25-27, 2012         
Where:             PORT O'CONNOR TX.
Start Time:        4:30 PM FRIDAY 
End Time:         4:30 PM SUNDAY   
Trip Leader:      MIKE GRAHAM
Phone:              SEE SIGN IN SHEET       
e-mail:              SEE SIGN IN SHEET       

Trip Description: . Camping overnight out on the barrier island behind the POC jetties.  This is a tough-it-out full bore outdoor experience where you might just catch anything.
How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: No anticipated cost (You may want to help your boat driver with a few dollars for his expenses, though.)

Directions:.               Drive to Port O'Connor, Texas we'll be ferrying from Clark's Marina

About the area:.       Sand covered island surrounds just inside the POC jetty.  Great place to raise tents right next to the shoreline.  Chance to catch everything from Snook to tarpon.  Bring your heavier equipment.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  DO NOT COUNT ON CONTINUOUS BOAT SERVICE TO/FROM THE ISLAND OR FOR FISHING, UNLESS YOU BRING OR ARRANGE YOUR OWN!

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Wading Shoes and Sting Ray Guards
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:.     8 wt minimum - 10 wts. most of the time. 12 wt. could be of use

Recommended Flies:.              Large clousers, seaducers, spoonflys, streamers with lots of flash, finger mullet imitations

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.

I WILL BE THERE FRIDAY EVENING TO HELP GET PEOPLE OUT TO THE ISLAND BUT I ONLY HAVE A SMALL SCOOTER.  I MAY HAVE A LARGER BOAT TO USE BUT WILL APPRECIATE SOME OF YOU BOAT OWNERS HELPING ME OUT WITH GETTING FOLKS OUT TO THE ISLAND.  I AM SURE WE'LL GET IT SETTLED OUT BE FOR THE TRIP. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ATTENDED IN THE PAST, YOU KNOW WHAT IS IN STORE AND HOW MUCH FUN CAN BE HAD.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:52:09 AM by Dave Kelly »

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: May Saltwater Outing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »
Let's get signed up people!   >:(
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
Sorry guys - I'm not able to make this one. Seems I have a daughter's high school graduation and associated festivities around that weekend.

Argh... I was really looking forward to this one. Maybe next year!  :(

George

Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »
Maybe we can delay this a week or two to suit some of the others too.  We have only Me and Mike Q signed up to this point.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
Let me know when.  I would like to go but next few week's are pretty crowded though. 

Scott

CarpMan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
Yeah I cant make that weekend either - its Memorial Day weekend and my better half has plans that do not involving me being gone fishing.

However I am already busy every subsequent weekend until late June :(

Do we have a date for the Fence Lake trip yet?

Matt

Fishwater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
I'm out as well.  Might be able to make something in June.

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
Fence Lake has not been scheduled.  I was under the impression that Chris had arranged the date last year after we had completed the 2011 outing as he had usually done after the the previous outings.  He told me at the last meeting that he did not make any arrangements for this year.  If you guys want to go I need someone to head up that outing and arrange with the Skimmer people.  We c an usually round up around ten to fifteen people for the outing.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Adam Colorado

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »
I had fun on this outing last year, but like some of the other fellas here, my gal has made plans that do not involve me camping in POC.  Can you believe that?!?

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
OK why don't we do this...since the freshwater outing is set for the weekend of the 8-10th of June why don't we schedule a POC Jetty/Bay outing for the 23rd and 24th of June.  That way most of you can fish both outings without conflict.  I have heard from Scott B.,  George S., Mike Q., Matt B., and a few others that have said they would be able to attend if we pushed the outing back a few weeks. So here you go.  I will change the info on the Outing thread above and will ask that if you are going that you sign up soon. 

Another subject:  My boat has been repaired...well that's what the mechanic says!  He said they really tested everything and could not fine the problem.  But a little fine tunming and shes up and running.  The Tachometer is not reading correctly and that might be in the computer but everything was supposed to have worked OK.  I would like to test her out soon so I have asked Ray Russ to bring his boat to POC and to follow me around (just in case) this weekend.  I'll let you know how it worked!  Still looking for a trailer if anybody knows of one sitting around that would work for a small craft like mine (14.5'). As is everything in life - all it takes is $$$$$ 

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>