Author Topic: June Saltwater Outing  (Read 2717 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
June Saltwater Outing
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston                             NEW OUTING DATE
Event:               POC JETTY OUTING      
When:               June 22-24, 2012         
Where:             PORT O'CONNOR TX.
Start Time:        4:30 PM FRIDAY 
End Time:         4:30 PM SUNDAY   
Trip Leader:      MIKE GRAHAM
Phone:              SEE SIGN IN SHEET       
e-mail:              SEE SIGN IN SHEET       

Trip Description: . Camping overnight out on the barrier island behind the POC jetties.  This is a tough-it-out full bore outdoor experience where you might just catch anything.
How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader. Presently the sign up sheet has the old date for the outing but we are going in JUNE.
How to get waiver forms: Download here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.
Cost: No anticipated cost (You may want to help your boat driver with a few dollars for his expenses, though.)

Directions:.               Drive to Port O'Connor, Texas we'll be ferrying from Clark's Marina

About the area:.       Sand covered island surrounds just inside the POC jetty.  Great place to raise tents right next to the shoreline.  Chance to catch everything from Snook to tarpon.  Bring your heavier equipment.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  DO NOT COUNT ON CONTINUOUS BOAT SERVICE TO/FROM THE ISLAND OR FOR FISHING, UNLESS YOU BRING OR ARRANGE YOUR OWN!

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Wading Shoes and Sting Ray Guards
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:.     8 wt minimum - 10 wts. most of the time. 12 wt. could be of use

Recommended Flies:.              Large clousers, seaducers, spoonflys, streamers with lots of flash, finger mullet imitations

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.

I WILL BE THERE FRIDAY EVENING TO HELP GET PEOPLE OUT TO THE ISLAND BUT I ONLY HAVE A SMALL SCOOTER.  I MAY HAVE A LARGER BOAT TO USE BUT WILL APPRECIATE SOME OF YOU BOAT OWNERS HELPING ME OUT WITH GETTING FOLKS OUT TO THE ISLAND.  I AM SURE WE'LL GET IT SETTLED OUT BE FOR THE TRIP. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ATTENDED IN THE PAST, YOU KNOW WHAT IS IN STORE AND HOW MUCH FUN CAN BE HAD.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:46:25 AM by Golden »

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: June Saltwater Outing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
The subjects are sorted by relivence.  So this and a couple more are to mover this outing up to top.

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »
 Please Sign up soon, I am going with or witout you guys.  I have moved the date to a better date for most of the salties. Lets go Tarpon fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
C'mon folks!  Let's get some people signed up for this!
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »
Hey Wormy Dude...Alex B. wants me to move the date either forward or backwards and with the previous week being father's day.  Well you can only guess the response to that.  OK Salties what do you think about the weekend of the 8-9-10th??? I want some response ASAP too.
Here is a list of the guys who I would expect that would enjoy this outing.

George S.        Aaron H.
Nick S.             Chris Sumer     
Alex B.             Denis A.
Steve V.          Don P.
Ray R.             Travis R.     
Scott F.           Martin W.
John P.           Scott B.
Eduardo D.     Joe F.
Sammy L.       Hunter S.   

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
That is the same time of the South Llano Trip 

:(

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
Going on the Llano trip on the 8th.

Scott B

sprtmedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
Current dates are good for me. I have signed up for the trip. Will bring my boat to help move people and equipment.
Kelley

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
Thanks Kelley! That will be a big help ant one else.  I knew about the date of the llano trip but I'm looking for what date works best for the Salties.  Besides the later in the month, the better for the big fish and possibility of less air movement...you notice I did not say that word!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Hunter Soape

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
I am certainly a no go for the 22-24th weekend. Although I would love to skip my Sister-in-Laws wedding to go fishing.
The 8-10 would probably work for me, once you decide I will check on getting the family's boat again.

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
What is going on here? So far we only have Mike, Kelley & me signed up. Doesn't anybody else want to fish salt anymore?  :(
333 - I'm only half bad!

sprtmedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
Mike, boat is in shop with spun prop and oil leak. Can't promise it will be ready by trip time. It's all Quigley's fault!!!

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
What is going on here? So far we only have Mike, Kelley & me signed up. Doesn't anybody else want to fish salt anymore?  :(

I have run out of kitchen passes for a while  :(

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't make the rescheduled date either. Painful. Too many many work-related and family-related responibilities. As dysfuntional as I am trying to be I can't seem to shake them.

Argh...  :'(

I hope everyone has a great and safe time! Looking forward to the photos and writeup, this summer's installment of the next volume of War and Peace.

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
Well now this is getting to a point where I say who ever is going is going.  I'll be there, Ray Russ says he'll be there.  Mike Q can make it.  I think John P. might go but he too has a bunch going on all the time. We don't have to stay out on the island anyways.  The jetties are there for the taking if you know what I mean and I figure I'll be out there somewhere harassing the big fish!

The way I see this is... all of you guys know that starting in early summer through the fall the saltwater fishing is at its best and that is when the outings will be planned.  If you arrange to go other places and do other things during the summer weekends you will be missing some great Saltwater fishing. It is hard for me personally to put down a hard date for an outing so early in the year because nobody knows what the weather pattern will be or what is going on with the club members.  This is why I have been waiting to schedule the outings until a month before as I asked for your input for acceptable dates.  There are those of us who are a lot more busy this time of year than others, we all understand that.  The good thing is the gulf isn't going away any time soon!   

Hopefully, Kelly's boat will be repaired (sounds like an easy prop seal change out) and others will show up later than sooner.  I will try to arrange boat rides as best as I can but please do not wait till the last minute. Still have not heard from:

George S.        Aaron H.
Nick S.             Chris Sumer     
Alex B.             Denis A.
Steve V.          Don P.
Ray R.             Travis R.     
Scott F.          Martin W.
John P.           Scott B.
Eduardo D.     Joe F.
Sammy L.       Hunter S.   

Please send me a PM on when you guys can attend the POC One Fly the weekend of JULY 13-15 is out! Let me know - JULY 23 sounds good to me!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:01:02 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>