Author Topic: Fishing the "Land of the Giants"  (Read 429 times)

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
Fishing the "Land of the Giants"
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »

Spent a few days earlier this month fishing in Venice, Louisiana, and it is truly the “Land of the Giants!”

Fished for three days out of Buras (near Venice), and caught piles of chunky trout and big numbers of oversized reds. While this was primarily a trip for conventional anglers (I was the only flyrodder in the group) I thought I’d post this on the forum – planting a seed to say we really need to line up a flyfishing trip to Louisiana along the Mississippi delta. Truly an amazing fishery!

Since we were fishing conventional tackle, I had only one shot at a redfish with a fly. There were cruising reds between 20 and 30 pounds in some very shallow water, and one came into range at about 40 feet. Perfect!  Somehow all the variables came together, and I was able to place a fly (a black and purple popper, purchased at Uptown Angler in New Orleans the day before) about two feet in front of the fish. He turned, and surged towards the fly with gill plates flared and pectoral fins outstretched. Pushing a bow wake with his eyes out of the water he was about to hit like an angry Mack truck. I stripped to keep him chasing for about eight feet, teasing him to strike. Then… he turned away and didn’t take. He swam away, and there I was I was, feeling like I had just missed the winning field goal, dejected, and still shaking with buck fever.  But – I am ready to return, and this time with only the long rods and the fly bag – I’ll leave the conventional stuff in the garage.

We stayed at a lodge called Outcast Fishing Charters, operated by Capt Lloyd Landry. Nice comfy lodge and the food was superb. Capt Lloyd is the head chef as well as chief guide, and his local seafood recipes will keep you stuffed and happy. Jim Richards has fished with Lloyd as well, and I’m thinking will back me up on this – the food , lodging, and company are great… and the fishing is really hard to beat. Can't say enough good things about those guys!

A couple of photos (not great, taken with a cellphone) to pique your interest and whet your appetite:

My personal best redfish – 42” caught on one of my home built medium light casting rods. Estimated at about 35 to 40 bs.

My son and brother, with another nice red

Picked up this guy in the Mississippi river itself – amazing

A great time fishing, and what a thrill to catch so many big reds and watch them swim away. A few filets for the table, but many more released. So what do you think Salties… Anybody up for a trip to the land of the giants? I’m thinking fall of 2013!

Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing the "Land of the Giants"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
I had friends living in Buras in the late 60's and fished that area several times.  Ralph was plant maintance manager for the the Gulf refinery at Venice.

We fished the river channels  and pipe line ditches and lakes. Stood in one place and caught a gunny sack full of flounder. Twenty nine fish on 29 casts.

Do they still lease the canels for oyster farms?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing the "Land of the Giants"
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT BABY JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>