Author Topic: February 2013, Prison Permit  (Read 3706 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: February 2013, Prison Permit
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
Also drop them in my 'drop box' so we can have a record in the Picture Gallery.
TX

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
MAN I GET SICK OF THIS SITE CONSTANTLY CRASHING WHILE I'M DOWNLOADING TO IT.  IT SUCKS MY WHOLE REPORT WAS LOST AND UN-RECOVEREABLE.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Well the Texas Prison Permit Invitational was a super success. This tournament always brings out the cream of the crop. The guys who attended are all top notch fishers and love the Salt.  I want to say a special thanks to Alan K, Wendel B. and Bill W. for allowing us to stay at their places.  The guys who stayed at Bills got to catch some nice reds under the lights during the early morning hours.  Also a BIG thanks to all of the guys who brought their boats down and took out our riders.  We could have never had this outing without you guys.  Wow the Launching was awesome everything from the best of the skiffs 4 HPX’s, one Hell’s Bay, one Beavertail, and one cool Boston Whaler…thanks guys!

Dinner Friday night was fun and good grub too.  Only problem was that Dan’s Chilli Joint ran out of cornbread before we even got there which was at 7:30 PM. But their food was good. Big-ass burgers, a chilli dinner with a corndog in it, real tasty tamales and ice cold draft SHINER BACH.  WHOO-WEE!

We retired back to the East Matty compound and enjoyed some real adult beverages and cigars talking about the day to come.  Everybody was a little worried about the forecasted weather and wind conditions but none-the-less up to this point everthing was AOK!

The next morning came soon enough and conditions were rather calm with some high clouds but not anything like the forecast. I soon received phone calls from the guys coming in Saturday Am and all were present and accounted for…even Jerry Loring came in to take share in the roundup.  Puck, Sam, and Jerry all met up at the Caney Creek Marina. The rest of us met up down at the Caney Creek homeowner’s launch.  The cruise across the bay was very good without a whitecap in sight.

Fishing was not good in the morning with wind and off-colored water being the problem where we went. Wendell and I tried the north side shoreline and saw a couple but it was impossible to get a shot at them.  As the winds calmed around 10 am everything started to come together.  We poled a shoreline that was full of bait activity and several hard hits were heard (undoubtedly some big trout scarfing down their breakfast) as we poled along.

We decided to check out the other side of the bay and found several of our fishers doing their thing but at this point nobody had any “captures” yet.  Sometime after lunch it all started to come together. Wendell and I found a boat load of sheepshead over several reefs but they were playing hard to get. We later found out to be successful we should have waded the area like Alan and his brother did. They said the fish would spook off at all.  They were the most successful boat catching three and hooking up five more.  Bill caught two during his wade of the extreme south shoreline. I caught one, as did Arron, and Alan.  George caught a nice “dinner” sized flunder!

Here are some of the picture’s I shot during the am launching.  The rest of the guys will download their pic’s soon enough.

Here is Alan’s place where most of us stayed.

This is the bedlam during the morning “gear-up”

As you can see the weather isn’t that bad just a bit nippy!

This is my partner Wendell B. on his fine HPX Maverick T

This is Alan and his brother Steve on Alan HPX!

Dan has a firm hold of Sam’s Boston Whaler and that Is Jack K. getting his HPX ready at the next boat birth.

As far as who won the event we had a first for this event…well actually two firsts if you know what I mean. There were two fishers who tied! They also were the latest two fishers to join our club. (The day before and that morning)  Steve Kulkak, Alan’s older brother caught two sheepshead and so did Bill Wallace.  Now since both of these guys are East Matagorda residences you’d figure they had a slightly better chance than the rest of us but they stuck out hard conditions instead of driving around looking for fish to jump in their boats. So after a major discussion between the tournament committee I am announcing here and now that each of the Champion Fishers shall hold the trophy for 6 months each and have their names entered on the plaque for all time. However next year we will have a tie-breaker determined for just such a happening.  So CONGRATULATION FELLOWS!

See you guys at the next TFF outing...for the freshies THE WHITE OAK BAYOU BASH!

GOLDEN
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
MAN I GET SICK OF THIS SITE CONSTANTLY CRASHING WHILE I'M DOWNLOADING TO IT.  IT SUCKS MY WHOLE REPORT WAS LOST AND UN-RECOVEREABLE.

Please PM me with details on this, I'll see if I can fix it.

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
Well the fishing could have been better but it was a good time.

I got a couple "reel life" shots that were OK:

Wish I could have stuck around but I had to hustle back to Houston for the Rodeo Cookoff and thought I'd share the scenery with you gents:

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
Wow Dan... thanks for the invite, dude!

Great trip that was a whole lotta fun. Would have loved to have had improved weather and more cooperative fish, but a great time nonetheless. Weather will improve as spring arrives for sure... the next rrip will be even better. Great food and plenty of adult beverages enjoyed! And yeah, Alan - thanks for your hospitality! And thanks to Golden for managing a big group of people and lining up the details!

Well, as you know I'm typically not given to self promotion, but I thought I'd post the photo of my flounder... courtesy of Scott Breedlove. This was a very significant fish, because it was the first fish caught on my own hand-tied fly (in the beginners' class), with one of my hand-built rods. Joe Nicklo claims that is a spiritual experience. I think he's right!

Ready for the next one!

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
Thanks again to Alan, Bill and Wendell for putting the group up for the night and the guys with the boats to haul the rest of us around. Thanks to George for hauling me around in his skiff. Big thanks to Mike for doing all the organizing and cat herding to make this thing happen.

It was a tough day fishing but a great day to get out and wet a line. 

For the third year in a row the winner was in Alan K's boat. Wonder what that means.

Scott B
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:14:43 AM by ScottB »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: February 2013, Prison Permit, GPS points
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
Prison permit points

These will only be alive for another day or so.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
What is Prison Permit Points?

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
What is Prison Permit Points?

GPS points.
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!