Author Topic: April 20th, 2013, John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular  (Read 2889 times)

ScottB

• View Profile
Re: April 20th, 2013, John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
I got there at halftime (lunch).  Things seemed to be slow.  Great BBQ and discussions.  One discussion was around what happens when you put a rod on a car and drive off.  I ended that conversation saying "I haven't done that yet."   You can probably see where this is going.

Spent the afternoon being teased by bass examining whatever fly I threw out there and then moving away.  Finally tricked one bluegill into hitting the fly.

Heard a lot of Puck's "Fish on!"  Asked him what the secret was and tried it out.  Third cast I got a hit and broke off.  As a final salute the fish jumped clear out of the water taking my fly with him.

Headed on home and unpacked then a good dinner with my oldest son who was home for the weekend.

This morning the kids and I were headed out for church and noticed that someone left a nice fly rod in front of my house in the  cul-de-sac.  I then remembered putting it on top of my son's car while I was unloading my car.  Later that night, he drove off not noticing it was there.  When he came home (whatever time that was) he pulled past the driveway and backed in, probably running it over.

The rod looked a little scuffed up but none the worse for wear.  Only took a few casts for it to fall apart.

Now I get to try out the TFO warranty.

There are probably lots of "morals to this story".  For instance, if you haven't left a rod on top of your car and driven off, don't talk about it or it might happen to you that same day!!!  Another one is if you see a fly rod in the road in front of your house and wonder what idiot put it there, it was probably you.  I am sure there are more.

Still had fun, caught a fish and enjoyed talking to some good friends. Always good to get out.

Scott B

Oh yeah, another good moral to the story is TFO's $25 no fault warranty is a winner.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:02:28 PM by ScottB »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
How was the outing and the eats? I missed my flight Friday night in Kansas City, didn't get home till 12:00 today. >:(

Bear.

Great food and company!

Fishing was slow.  (Nilo and I caught less than 30)

Weather was perfect!

I don't know who the winners were yet, but should be able to tell everyone at Tuesday's meeting.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular 04/20/2013

Sign In: ) 630 hrs.

Thirty one Fishers signed in and consumed 8 Pounds of  Pulled Pork, 12 pounds of  Smoked  Brisket, Eight Links of Deer Sausage, ½ Gallon of  Beans, Chips, Cookies and Beverages. ¾ of a gallon of  Margaritas  disappeared on the hour- long run.

The front shut down the catching. Under 200 Bream were caught along with 59 Bass, 11 Crappie, and  one  6 ½’ Shinner  (from the 29 turned in cards)

Martin Weir (39 Bream) and Shelby Carpenter (20) were the two largest number of  Bream caught from the cards turned in. Largest Bass caught  for the day 22” by Robert Engrav.

There was a tie for second place Martin Weir and Ralph Havis - Bream (8 ½” ) and one Bream 8 ¾” caught by Nilo Puckett.

The Fly::, a red butt ant (that  she received @ sign in) under a S1B as a dropper, caught on the South end of Goose. Presentation: Cast let sit, and move an inch or so, and let sit again. Very slow presentation . Rod:: pink White River (R) 5wt rod with a pink White River reel, WF5-F fly line. Leader::: White River (R) 9' 2x tippet with 6# flouro dropper line. The S1B just disappeared as the fish snatched the ant.

Drawing at lunch: Stripping Basket went to Thomas Aubin,  DVD’s went to George Woods and Bubba Schneider.

Drawing from Cards Turned in went to Dick Kauth: 56 Flies and a Nice Fly Box.

Thanks to all that came and helped out during the event,

Michael J. Arnold