Author Topic: March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - Cancelled....  (Read 1894 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - Cancelled....
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »
Nobody signed up.  Trip cancelled

Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event:

When:     2nd March, 2013
Where:   Upper Guad - above Canyon Lake   
Start Time:  0700
End Time:    Just before dark
Trip Leader: Matt Blythe  "Puck"
Phone:       
e-mail:     PM here   

Trip Description:

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Cost: No anticipated cost (You may want to help your boat driver with a few dollars for his expenses, though.)

Directions:   Google Map directions from Houston

About the area:  See the scouting report.....

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:

Recommended Flies:

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:08:22 AM by Puck »

CarpMan

Re: March 2013, White Bass... need a trip...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »
My suggestion is for this to be on the upper Guad - above Canyon Lake. During March they have a run of white bass and big stripers. Its kayak friendly but would probably involve putting in and kayaking up stream and then floating back. Its flat water with almost no rapids so its not too bad. I would be willing to lead this one - unless Puck has a better plan?
Matt

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »
My suggestion is for this to be on the upper Guad - above Canyon Lake. During March they have a run of white bass and big stripers. Its kayak friendly but would probably involve putting in and kayaking up stream and then floating back. Its flat water with almost no rapids so its not too bad. I would be willing to lead this one - unless Puck has a better plan?
Matt

I like it!

Let me have some dates, and details, and we can make it happen!

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

CarpMan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Looks like early March would be best  - but I completely forgot I have a business trip out of the country around then. I will see what I can work out.

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - above Canyon Lake
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
I'm in.

Let's figure out what date.

Puck

CarpMan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
So I chatted with Brent Hodges about this and he thinks February would be the best month to fish the upper Guad, particularly if we have a relatively mild winter. What about running this trip in Feb for those that dont want to make the trek to Oklahoma.

March can be the bayou bass-masters instead?

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
OK, topic is unlocked.

I can make a day trip for a February fishing event.

Let's see what we have for discussion.

February:
1) FW trip to Broken Bow, OK, for trout and education.
2) Prison Permit in Sargent
3) This as a possiblity for those of us that need to stay local.

I'm for it, but it is now open for discussion.

Puck

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
For the white bass run there is a good put in at the Guadalupe State Park and then you float down river and arrange a pick up point at one of the local crossings above Canyon Lake. The big stripers will be down in Canyon itself during February.  Fish the full moon on the gravel bar just south of the river.  Use large white seducers or streamers.  My largest caught on spin tackle using a redhead - white bucktail is eighteen pounds and there are alot larger. This area is wade-able but the water is cold as well diggers ask me no more questions.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

CarpMan

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
People were catching stripers in the river upstream of Canyon in February last year - we had a mild winter so they started running early. I have spies on the ground up there who are going to check it out and let us know when things start moving.

If we want to set something more in stone and for march - then we could look at something closer to home.

Matt

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
Matt and I went fishing with Brent Hodges, from ReelFly Fishing Adventures Saturday, 2013-02-09, with the plan of scouting out the area for the TFF.   Brent worked hard on getting us onto fish.  Some of the techniques we used would be frowned upon by the purists. :)

We arrived in front of the fly shop at 0715 after a 3 hour drive from Katy, and started assembling our gear, and getting waders on.  Brent showed up, boat in tow, at 0745, ready to go.

A short road trip to the launch and we were on our way, across the lake.  The boat launch Brent originally wanted to use didn't have enough water to put in.  His Beavertail (R) had no problems with the glassy water.

The trip up the river itself had to be taken slow.  A lot of the trees that are normally under the water were exposed, even in the middle of the channel.  We actually saw one boat hit something hard, and come immediately down off of plane. 

The plan was to go up the river as far as his skiff could take us, and then wade.  A few of the locals had already made it that far and had staked out the river as their own.  This wasn't a show-stopper since there was plenty of river to fish.  Using this as our starting point, we started blind casting was Brent used the trolling motor to guide us downriver.

The weather was perfect for fishing, a light drizzle, and cool (58°), but not cold.  A couple of thin layers followed by a rain jacket and waders, and we were comfortable enough.

We caught a Varity of fish.  White bass, stripers, black bass, crappie, and catfish, all on flies.

One of the more interesting sights was watching a large pod of catfish slurping something off of the top of the water in an eddy.  The is when we wished we sould have brought one of Matt's carp flies.  Of course we had to make a few casts into these feeding fish.  I even had one one for a few seconds.....

I used a 5wt with a full sinking line for most of the day.  Matt was a bit more adventurous, and was trying out almost every one of Brent's rods.

The fly of the day was a greay and white clouser swith a silver nose.  See the photo of the destroyed fly.  The catfish was caught onthe white/char bendback.

We found one area that every time we drifted through we at least got a bump, but most times it was "Fish on."

You can tell by the attached GPS track that we went through the same area many times.

More details, and pictures when I get them in hand, of this trip to follow....

Puck

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:09:14 AM by Puck »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - No takers.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
No takers?  Let's go ahead and pull this trip from the plans. 

I still plan to head up there that weekend.  Kayaking and fly fishing.

Puck
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:44:28 PM by Puck »

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - Cancelled....
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
Trip Cancelled

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2013, White Bass... Upper Guad - Cancelled....
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
So what about a Bayou Bash down on the White Oak PUCK!  I hear a couple of the guys are coming over this weekend to give it a try.  We could go do it next weekend...not this Im too busy with the house but next should be good for me.  Last year we had a terrific turnout.  What is your schedule like? 8)
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>