Author Topic: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 5258 times)

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
Re: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
Separated shoulder?   :(  Sorry to hear it, but from one of your previous posts I don't think it should really be a problem for you. Remember, we'll be bobber fishing after stockies...! So as long as you can flick your wrist and lay out 15' of line you should be okay.

And remember, it's not a bobber. It's a strike indicator.

The Guadalupe trip will be a blast - still fun to catch a nice rainbow no matter it's ancestry. Oh, yeah, and dinner at the Grist Mill, a few cocktails on the deck, etc. Maybe Matt will invite us up to visit his father-in-law's wine collection?

Hope your shoulder improves!
GDS
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
What is that saying..."When the Tuff get going it hurts like Haties" and it does.  Anyways I thought i would post a few pictures from my distant past when I used to take a few friends and their kids fishing on the Blanco. Please realize these pictures were rephotographed with a digital camera, and cleaned up using photochop. Yes that is me smart butt!

This place was always good for a few Guadalupies. I was using a 4.5' buggywhip spinning rod and very small beetlespins or crappie grubs.

Same for this spot but I was using a conventional bass rig as the big small mouths would kill your offering hard!

When I say good Smallmouth I think you see what I mean!

Here's a solid 3.0lb smallie that went 20 inches in length.

Here is a father and son I used to take down here shooting one of the rapids in their Old Town. Man That was fun!

The son scored all day long the Dad paddled...all day long!

Winter fishing is the best as you can see I was enjoying myself!

As you can imagine the bankside fishing is primo too. This day was one of many good'ens I had down there.

This guy was my fishing partner many times on the Blanco. He moved here from Maryland and in the first week here I took him to this.

Of course I have caught some largemouths too. This guy came out of Cypress Creek just north of Wimberley.

This gal pushed the scale hard, one of my largest ever.

If you guys want to give this a try I am way up for it.  You will have to work hard to portage some of the limestone outcroppings but the effort is well worth it. I just need a couple of more weeks to mend up...hopefully. I was a stud with all that hair wasn't I HAHAHAHA

Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
This event seem to be generating some interest, so could we get a signup list/sheet started.
We may need a first come first served for accomidation at the Rio Raft cabin.

Denis
AKA
Bear

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
I figure we can always upgrade to a larger cabin or get another. If the weather is suitable for camping, then that is not out of the question either.
So far we have Matt B., George S., Mike Q., Mike G., Dennis A.,   Isn't there anybody else in this club who fishes fresh water!  It is always the same guys not that they are not great to fish with - they are, but Where is Steve V., Arron H., Adam M., Harry C., Dave L., Chris S., Don P., and on and on... 

I will be fishing the Blanco River and Cypress Creek both days from my inflatable. So I am out for the two man competition. I will also be bringing my camera to begin the as of now unofficial TFF Photo Contest. Don't forget yours. This area is a scenic as it gets in Texas!

Hey you fly tiers please make me up some deer hair poppers and some larger wooley boogers. I have a couple crawfish patterns that will work well for sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:16:46 AM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
  It is always the same guys not that they are not great to fish with - they are, but Where is Steve V., Arron H., Adam M., Harry C., Dave L., Chris S., Don P., and on and on... 

I am tied up with work for most of January.  I hope to be caught up enough to fish the Prison Permit.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
Well Puck that's about three months away...GOOD LUCK!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

CarpMan

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
Sorry gents - I have been rather busy of late. I will get the sign up and trip details posted ASAP.

Matt

CarpMan

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
Right - now I have recovered from the sight of Mike's subtle fishing clothes..here is the cabin list so far

Cabin at Rio

Bed 1: Matt Blyth - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 2: George Sutherland - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 3: Mike Graham - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 4: Dennis Auger - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 5: Mike Quigley - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 6: Scott Breedlove - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 7: Mike Siegman - Friday & Saturday night
Bed 8: Travis Rock - Friday & Saturday nights

The cabin is $250 a night total. Pay me over the weekend.

Extra payments to lie about how many fish you caught on the post weekend trip report will be taken in cash, good ale, fine wine and fishing gear

So far for the guides we have
Brent Hodges - Matt Blyth & George Sutherland
Guide Option 2 - open
Guide Option 3 - open
If you are interested in the guides then let me know..right now I have only commited to one but Brent & Ashley can usually help us out. They also have a cabin for rent if anyone wants to use that - again you need to move relatively quickly as its popular with their customers
M
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:17:43 PM by MattBlyth »

tbonerock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
I am in and will take a spot in the cabin.  I will take myself out of the competition early because I get the most success when I change my fly A LOT on the Guad. But I will help who I am with.
Travis Rock

CarpMan

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
Thanks Travis - got you down for the last bed

Competition is a strong word - I am not sure it exactly applies to the one fly. I doubt you will be the only one who's "one fly" varies throughout the day

Matt

tbonerock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
By the way, Mike G, nice cut off jorts in your picture.   ;)  Also I am a GRTU member and can get a pass for my partner. 

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:11 AM »
My clothes are part of the success I have sewn for years.  I will be coming out with the Graham Slam Outfitters clothing line later this year...still working on the elastic expanding waist band beltless waders.  Comfortable with large zippered crotch for that ease of reach at those embarrassing moments. Currently working with TJ Max (who needs Orvis, Cabela's or Bass Pro) too so I can expect a colorful market!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »
Mike's just waiting for Simms to come out with a Gore-tex leisure suit..........
333 - I'm only half bad!

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
leisure suit..........
Color???
Burple?  Crabberry? Apple Jack Mackerel?  ???