Author Topic: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 4629 times)

CarpMan

January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Guadalupe One Fly
When:  Saturday January 19th     
Where: Rio Raft Campground to start/A bar to be decided to finish   
Start Time: 8:00am
End Time: 5:00pm   
Trip Leader: Matt Blyth
Phone: 832 444 4206     
e-mail:    carpman_1@yahoo.com   

Trip Description:
This is the club's annual One Fly competition on the Guad. As we did last year I would like to make this a pairs competition but this is going to require enough people to register.  Last year we attempted to pair newbies with old hands but it didnt not quite work out that way due to the small group that attended. In theory each newbie registered will be paired with an experienced trout angler and it will be the total length of fish caught by the pair that will be the decider.  As normal each pair will choose one fly each to fish with and if you loose the fly then you are done. Of course if one member of the pair looses a fly then the team can still keep fishing with only one angler. If it is the newbie that looses the fly then I am considering a rule to make the experienced member hand their rod over and continue to act as a guide!

The whole point of these changes are to try and ensure that the less experienced members of the club dont just get left to wander around wondering what to do as every one else rushes off to their favorite spot.  Of course this does require that we get a decent amount of people registered to make it work properly. You can wade fish, but access is limited without a GRTU lease access pass. A better option is to bring a kayak and float the river.

NEW THIS YEAR - PAIRS CAN FISH/FLOAT WITH A PROFESSIONAL GUIDE IF YOU WISH. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FLOATING WITH A GUIDE THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Sunday we will try and hit one of the hill country streams (maybe the Blanco if Mike finds us a spot) to do a little warm water fishing.
How to sign up: Sign Up On Line Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
Cost: If you are not a GRTU Lease Access member then there is a parking fee at Rio Raft for the day

Directions:  http://rioraft.com/contact

Accomodations:  I have booked one of the cabins at Rio that sleeps 8 people. The beds are booking up fast - see the posts below for a list of whats free. If you want to grab another one of the cabins then it will need to be paid for in the first week of Jan. There are lots of other options for accomodations in the area from hotels to campsites.

About the area: Some good information on the Guad can be found on the following websites
http://guadalupefly.com/
http://www.grtu.org/

How to sign up: Sign Up Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here. Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:
1) 3-5wt rod
2) 4-6x leaders and tippets - flourocarbon if you want - definitely if the water is low and clear.
3) Polaroids - a lot of the fish are visible
4) Indicators if you want to use them
5) Split shot
6) Luck!

Recommended Flies: Well despite what some may say - these are not wild fish and are not hugely selective. They can be caught on egg patterns, san juan worms, standard nymphs, woolly buggers, soft hackles, midge patterns and canned corn....apparently.  Choose what ever you feel comfortable fishing....Except for the corn.

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:09:29 PM by Dave Kelly »

Bear

• View Profile
Re: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
That will be fine with me.
The Rio cabin was fun last year with the group we had.

Looking Foward to it.
Denis
"Bear"

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
That was a great time this past year! I don't see a conflict on my calendar as of now.
333 - I'm only half bad!

CarpMan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
OK. I will get things sorted then.

Any thoughts on my idea about trying to line up guides and float the river as two man teams with the guides keeping us honest?

CarpMan

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
OK I have a cabin at Rio reserved for that weekend and also have Brent standing by in case people want to float with a guide. I will fill out the trip details and make the announcements at the next meeting

Cabin sleeps 8

Matt

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
I'm in; last year's trip was a lot of fun. Interested in both the cabin and in fishing with Brent.
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »
I'm interested.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
Put me down for a bed for Friday & Saturday night.

Denis Auger
AKA
"Bear"

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Who's the entertainment at Gruene's Hall Saturday night. I could care less about the bobber fishing for stockers but this crew is known to be fun. Matt you staying with the crew or the in-laws? Personally, I'll go up to the Blanco River and chase large and small mouth. Much more technical and way more cool.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
Max Stalling...OK who is he? I'll check out his bio and some tunes.

OK Take a listen I can drink to this.

http://us.myspace.com/maxstalling/music/songs/i-ain-t-drinking-alone-72031132

Who didn't have a craig deck and 6 x 9 speakers. Cool

http://us.myspace.com/maxstalling/music/songs/6x9-speakers-revisited-72162570
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:32:06 AM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
Ah yes! My good old Jensen 6 x 9s!

He ain't bad. I could enjoy his show.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:13:59 AM by Wormdrowner »
333 - I'm only half bad!

CarpMan

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
I will be bunking by the river this time round as I got too much stick last year :)

Mike - you got an access point on the blanco? Thats the hardest part. We can certainly look at doing the Guad Saturday and the Blanco on Sunday? There are smallies in the Guad too.

Matt

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
What does bunking by the river mean, are you going to camp at one of the River Camps or take a bed in the cabin? I think you meant to say "schtick" (Yiddish term meaning in this case "a rousing") ...unless of course you took an 8 wt. with you last year. Heck anything over a 3 wt was too much for last year!  :o ;D ::)

Yes that is true there are smallies in the Guad but they are mostly above Canyon Lake.  The Blanco has both smallies and Guadalupies which are both Texas Treasures. It has some of the most unusual strains of sunfish too. 5 to 6 wts. will be the rods of choice. You can run into large carp exceeding twenty pounds and some big river cats too.

I am going to try and fish the Blanco River soon with another flyfisher from another site who is very familiar with the river.  I have several good points of entry from above Fisher Store Road to below the Boy Scout Camp. I fished this river over a hundred times however, I was in quite a bit better shape back then.  After two huge floods and the two major droughts I just lost interest thinking the river would take years to recover.  It did. Recently I have been notified that the river is back!

Since my recent accident (separated shoulder) I am a bit apprehensive at what I can accomplish physically and need to make sure someone who is far more able than I is along with me for the tour. People with physical ailments need not apply for this trip!

However the Blanco River above Wimberley is some of the most beautiful water in the State for sure. Kayaks and canoes work well.  Winter is great as the water stays warmer than the air. Foggy mornings are especially beautiful with all of the wildlife and the unbelievable sounds of the river.  I have a bunch of good pictures but they are all non-digital.  I will see if I can rephotograph and post up. Wait till you see my ten pound largemouth bass...she is beautifully colored and massive.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

CarpMan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
I will be in the cabin!

So work out some spots on the Blanco and let us know - I am for sure up for doing that Sunday and of course with my inlaws living in Wimberley then I am close to the blanco too on other occasions. I have always thought about fishing it but I was there a week or so ago and the river looked extremely low - you could hardly call it flowing through Wimberley - more of a series of connected pools. The Guad looked much healthier.

I am also trying to organize an upper Guadalupe float trip for March or late Feb to catch the white bass and striper run.

My idea with the guides this time round was to get people on some big fish - of course it comes at a price..literally.