Author Topic: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 4393 times)

CarpMan

Re: January 2013 Outing - Guadalupe One Fly
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
Travis Rock wins the One Fly and Brett Walker takes the big fish award! Trip report and photos to follow!
Matt

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
    Excellent trip guys, had a blast as usual. Congratulations to Travis and Brett for hitting it big on Saturday and taking the honors. Wish the trout would have been slighly more cooperative, but hey, that's fishing. Weather couldn't have been better, it was great just to spend some time on the river.

Great group of friends, and I learned a lot over the course of the weekend. Important life skills like:
    • I can still drink too much bourbon and fish the next day
    • Tying on a tiny scud fly takes a powerful set of reading glasses
    • It is always good to ask not just how many people a cabin can acommodate, but the number of beds and their configuration is equally important
    • If you leave a damp sweater over the railing on the deck to dry it just might be frozen stiff in the morning
    • And finally - fly fishing for finicky trout can be very frustrating - but a helluva lot of fun!

Sharing a few photos from the trip:

Matt's fish of the day, out of a hole slightly downstream from Rio... Nice!!!

Matt and Brent Hodges talking about... who knows?

Has to be one of the prettiest places in Texas!

Casting into a pool that just HAD to be holding trout - but... ah, not so much.

Here's Matt in a contemplative mood - not sure about what.

I just liked the weathered textures of these ancient cypress trunks!

My daughter Clare and I fished on Sunday; here she is on her first flyfishing adventure. She pulled her first trout out of this spot!

And yeah, I finally caught a nice bow! This one is my personal best to date...until next year!

Those are the shots I had... post up guys!

Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

CarpMan

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
Thanks George!

Yeah I will know next time to double check the sleeping arrangements despite telling Rio twice that we were 8 guys coming to fish! Thank you to Brett Walker for being late leaving Houston and so the only one able to load up with air mattresses and sleeping bags and save the day!!

So George has already done a fine job of describing the key points of the trip. I would add

1) Jerry Loring turns up for beers and swears he will fish but is never seen again
2) Gennaro's has fantastic food at really great prices but book early and turn up even earlier!
3) Always know where you pink eggs are
4) If all else fails tie on some eggs & bacon
5) I know too many people who snore.
6) The meaning of "One" is relative
7)...If Mike Graham had turned up we would have had a 4 page trip report :)

Here are a few more pictures from the weekend. Congrats again to Travis who is this years winner.

and here is Brett's big fish of the day - a fitting reward for the man who rescued us from a very uncomfortable night.