Author Topic: October Saltwater Outing --- Redfish Rodeo Updated 10-10-2012  (Read 2437 times)

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: October Saltwater Outing --- Redfish Rodeo
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
Darn it I was hoping Jerry would bring his Obama and Romney masks and lead the sing-a-long!  A time-honored tradition at the Redfish Rodeo for those of us who remember back that far. 

By the way here is the Tide Chart for this month. Look at the 20th of October.
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/5382.html

Looks like we have a high tide to drop the boat into and a low tide to bring the boats out.  Nice, plus the moon is just entering the first phase so the fish won't be gorging all night long. Could be favorable conditions.  Let's hope we are on the backside (by three days) of a cool front too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:54:00 AM by Golden »
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: October Saltwater Outing --- Redfish Rodeo Updated 10-10-2012
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
I GUESS THIS INFORMATION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED HERE

From Email I received this morning From Chris Sumers:  PLEASE READ!

“Due to the extremely low number of entries received to date, the 26th Annual Redfish Rodeo, scheduled for October 20th in Rockport, Texas, has been cancelled with no makeup date planned. All entry fees that have been received will be returned ASAP. If you have any questions concerning this, feel free to contact me at the numbers / e-mail listed below. Thank you to those that sent in your entries and I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.”

Tight lines, Chris Sumers

Event Chairman

Ok members this is what you get when you don’t show more interest in our events. The Redfish Rodeo is a twenty-six year time honored event and it means too much to some just to have it cast away! I gave most all of you an email notice early in September and I spoke about the upcoming event starting back in June during our members meeting. So you can’t say we just dropped this one on  you! Personally I think we can still hold this outing…maybe not next week but in early November would be good.  However, because of the feedback I received from a lot of you it only makes since that we hold it in POC. 

I will see if the club will sponsor as we have a sizable budget allocated for the event. Personally I don’t think there should be a charge to participate if you are a Club member, but that is just me. I believe as a Club we are looking for worthwhile events to share with our membership. If not, we will have to charge a participation fee for the event.  Some of the other clubs Chris mentioned had events already on their calendars.  I have contacted Walter Laas of the Rockport Flyfishers and he will get back with me soon to give me some input from their members as to a good time for them.  In addition, I will be contacting some of our more notable prize donators to sweeten the pot.  I will keep you advised as to how that goes. I can arrange a cool bunkhouse where up to ten members can stay very cheaply (as low as ten dollars for minimum two night stay). If some of you want a condo with boat slips you must let me know as early as possible. We can arrange a Friday pre-fish with captains meeting to follow.  Rodeo Fishing as always is on Saturday and the Awards dinner for later that night.  Just like last year.  We just need to firm up a date.

As always I need to hear from you! We can’t please everybody but we can surely try!

I need boat Owners to check in and let me know 1. Good Date for you, 2. How many riders you will allow, 3. Your accommodations in POC.  Folks needing a ride need to list up and give me info on 1. Good Date for you 2. Your accommodation needs.  Any of you people planning to attend that already have a place in POC please let me know if you can put up a member or two and what you need for compensation. The fishing in POC right now is “OFF THE WALL”!

I WILL BE CONTACTING MANY OF YOU PERSONALLY TO DISCUSS THE ABOVE AND WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER TO MAKE THIS A GRAND EVENT CHECK YOUR EMAILS PLEASE!

PS - I just heard from Georg S. who spoke to Mike Q. and they are still wanting to fish next week.  Who else?

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: October Saltwater Outing --- Redfish Rodeo Updated 10-14-2012
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
FOR THOSE WHO WHO JUST CAN'T WAIT

I HAVE HEARD FROM SOME OF OUR SALTIER FLY FISHERS WHO JUST CAN'T WAIT TO GO SALTWATER FLY FISHING AND WANT TO FISH THIS COMING WEEKEND DOWN IN PORT O'CONNOR, TEXAS. WELL MY FRIENDS LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN.  SO FAR I HAVE LOCATED BOATS FROM M. WEIR, MY SELF, AND I WILL THROUGH THIS WEEK FIND SOME MORE. WE HAVE THE USE OF MARCO'S SCOOTER BUT WILL NEED SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE THIS LITTLE WONDER (AND THE WONDER IS WHY THIS THING WONT TURN!). ANYWAYS SO FAR M. QUIGLEY, A. MUIR, G. SUTHERLAND, A. BLAQUE, J. KLINGER, HAVE INDICATED THEY WOULD LIKE TO FISH...WHO ELSE. I KNOW S. BREEDLOVE WILL NOT BE ATTENDING AS HE IS GOING TO ROCK OUT THAT WEEKEND WITH EITHER THE RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS OR ZZ TOP...LIKE THERE IS A CHOICE. HA!

SPEAKING OF S. BREEDLOVE, HE AND I WENT TO PRE-FISH THE POC AREA THIS PAST WEEKEND AND DUDE WIND OR NOT WE SAW AND CAUGHT A TON OF FISH.  WE SAW SCHOOLS OF OVERSIZED REDS SO THICK THE WATER TURNED RED. WE SAW REDFISH "MUDDING" UP THE FLATS LIKE NEVER BEFORE. WE SAW SCHOOLS OF DRUM THAT EVERYBODY DREAMS OF! WE TOOK SOME PICTURES BUT IT WAS HARD TO CONCENTRATE ON PICTURE TAKING WITH SOOO MANY FISH AROUND.  SCOTT GOT HIS FIRST CHANCE TO POLE MY SCOOTER AND IN 25 MPH WINDS MAN DID HE GET A LESSON.  HE DID GREAT! ALSO HE LEARNED TO FISH AND CAST FROM THE FRONT OF A POLED CRAFT (FOR YOU THAT DON'T KNOW IT AIN'T THAT EASY) AND SINCE HE IS GOING TO BELIZE IN TWO WEEKS WITH D. AUGER HE NEED THE PRACTICE "BELIZE IT" OR NOT! ;D

THE MUY GUAPO WAS GASSED FULL AND READY TO GO.

LEAVING POC UNDER BEAUTIFUL SKIES.

THIS IS WHAT WE WERE HEADED INTO.

YOU SALTY GUYS RECOGNIZE THIS LANDMARK - BET YOU KNOW WHERE I WAS HEADED.

SCOTT'S FIRST FROM THE BOW! THE SMILE SAYS IT ALL. GREAT JOB SCOTT!

NEXT IT WAS SCOTT'S TURN TO POLE THE MUY GUAPO, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

NICE FISH AND THE CATCH WAS SO COOL!

A TEXAS FLY FISHERS BEST FRIEND, THE PRISON PERMIT AH-HA THANKS TO H. SWOAP FOR THE FLY.

THEN SCOTT RAN INTO THESE GUYS WHILE ON A WADE. TRUTHFULLY HUNDREDS OF THEM WERE AROUND HIM AT ONE TIME!

WHY CALL THESE GUYS UGLY AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ME EITHER.

LIKE I SAID WE DIDN'T TAKE ENOUGH PICTURES BUT WE CAUGHT SHEEP HEAD (2), TROUT (10 OR SO) REDFISH (10 OR SO) FLOUNDER (2 FATTIES), BLACK DRUM (3) LADYFISH, AND OTHERS.  IT WAS GREAT! YOU GUYS WHO CAN'T WAIT TO SALTWATER FLY FISH KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED FOR INFO CONCERNING NEXT WEEK. THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR, LET'S NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
I'm game for this weekend but I need a ride. If you are planning on going, please post on here if you have a boat or need a ride and if you need a place to stay,. I'll see if I can't get the Pequod House (trailer) where we've stayed previously if there is enough interest. Let me know asap.
333 - I'm only half bad!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:31:57 AM »
I'm good to go! Pequod house or other suitable crash-pad sounds great to me...

Many thanks Golden for putting this togehter, your reports and photos will make it difficult to concentrate on the mundane this week (like making a living too support my fishin' addiction).

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Just was contacted by Long Hair Dave (good friend of TFF) and he is checking his belongings for a hall pass for this weekend.  Has anybody contacted their boat partners? Mike I gave you first shot at a boat don't forget. George keep the info coming.  I'd suggest the wet run for Thursday down in POC. Then you could just stay. Anyways more info as it comes available.  LODGING questions...er I'd think so.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »
Here is the latest up date.  THE POC CROWD IS GROWING BIGGER EVERY DAY!

First off, TFF member Rod Henderson, his Dad and Brother are going to join us. We'll all get to see his new Beavertail skiff! Dave Lord and his buddy Pete from New Mexico is making the trip for the third year in a row and they will be fishing out of Dave's boat! Long Hair Dave is a maybe if I can arrange some stuff for him (and I will). New member Don H. is going to join us it looks like and will be bringing his 22' Shallowsport...Yeah baby! Bad news is that Martin Weir left for Arkansas to fish there 'cause he thought the Rodeo was Cancelled! FUDGE!

I'll post up a list of fishers and boats as I know later today.  You guys need to start finding rides and boats now! If we have some kayakers we'll drag yer boats out to good water for you.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »
Spoke to Jack K last night. He's going to Rockport this weekend.

I need a list of people interested in lodging by this afternoon so I can call Merle at Pequod House and make reservations. So far, I just have George & me. It's $25/night for the rental per person. Let me know ASAP.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Well for those of you who didn't go we had a blast down in POC this past weekend.  I know the Rodeo was cancelled...but not for those who really love fly fishing! We had at last count 11 fishers including Dave and Pete who always join us down here in POC all the way from Albuquerque, New Mexico!  We had M. Quigley, G. Sutherland, A. Muire, J. Richards, D. Hasselmann, B. Sandler, A. Blacque, S. Fossum, Dave and Pete, and our roving Concert Reporter S. Breedlove, (more on that later).

Fishing was good and the weather could have not been better except for the wind. The food and drinks were awesome as we had an ample supply from Alex's wedding leftovers. Including several wonderful single malts. Did I say we had a blast!

Friday night we all gathered at the Red Ops Compound. After the gear was all loaded onto the boat fleet we went to Cathy's for dinner and it was delicious, the guys all made some awesome salads (all you can eat) and there were fresh shrimps everywhere.  I had the grilled pork chops and Adam ate one of those big "A" cheese burgers. We then returned to the compound from some after dinner drinks and fun.  ...and it was fun. During the evening we were receiving texts and photos of the ZZ Top concert by our club’s roving concert reporter Scott Breedlove.  He was sitting in the seventh row center and having a blast. Although I am sure he is a little hard of hearing now! See photos below.

The next morning (ahh what I remember of it) we all gathered at the Speedy Stop getting our lunches, drinks and their famous breakfast tacos. I missed Scott Fossom at the store but the guys told me he was present and accounted for. I missed a lot at the store that morning... The trip to the ramp and we started dropping the boats.  There is always somebody at the ramp to cause a ruckus and this time was no different.  One boat parked at the base of the ramp...nobody nearby and the boat was just aimlessly drifting about.  I found the owner and helped him move it to a slip out of the way of the rest of us.  We took off and headed to the J-Hook Flats where we found beautiful water and lots of fish.  The sun was rising to help with our vision and the fun was ON!

Alex and I got our wade on at the entrance into Fish Pond.  WOW was it lit up! We instantly found the place was full of bait meaning the predators were not far behind. He caught a big red and I a big trout and red + a small lady fish. The other guys either waded off or George poled his boat down the outside edge of the opening to Fish Pond. Which it look like George was going to need a little instruction in poling as he was out there doing a few 360's before getting his new boat pointed in the right direction.

With the wind bowing a stiff 15 to 20 all day everybody headed downwind towards the Coast Guard station ruins and we were steadily finding fish - some ate some didn’t. The normal POC herd must have taken the weekend off as it seemed we had the place to ourselves.  We later went out to Pringle to mess with a couple of hundred drum.  George couldn’t believe how many there were.  And this week they were joined by quite a few redfish. But like last week these fish had a serious case of lock jaw!

Saturday night we again met up a Cathy’s and had dinner and gave out the prestigious POC One Fly Award to the winner George Sutherland we also shared some excellent champagne (remember Alex’s wedding) and toasted both his winning and his new boat which is now named …Piquen Bonita (meaning little pretty – hey wasn’t that a line from The Wizard of Oz!).  I hope I spelled it right…sorry George if I didn’t! Anyways we again ate like we were famished.  I will say this everybody was in bed by 11:00 PM no late night partying like Friday.

Here are some of my photos and some sent to me by George.

Party On Adam!

View of Don Hanselmann's boat. Big Shallow Sport.

Here is George's New skiff...pretty isn't she!

This is what George could see from his boat's console.

Good looking water ahead! Alex is just off to my right.

Ooops fish on!

Nice Fish

Here is a good one caught from the bow of Georges skiff!

Here's what Jim used.

Not the best way to end a great weekend!

We fished Sunday and had some good results too. some of the photos above are from Sunday too.  I didn't get any pictures of a nice 20" trout I caught but Alex was there for the mayhem and I also caught a real good sheepshead on the fly. Bigger than the one I caught last week shown in a thread above this one.  Well I wished we could have had more of you down for the fun but I understand. I know I have left a lot out so you guys when you post up your reports fill in the blanks.

GOLDEN

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
Great post Mike and a great time had by all! All the things that make for a banner weekend - fishing, eating, laughing, drinking, drinking more, laughing more. And yeah - poling a boat into a 20mph headwind ain't easy! Found that out for sure. Also learned that not all of our brethren are very cheery when nursing a bit of a whisky headache. Huh... go figure.

Proud that the first redfish on the new skiff was caught by Mike Graham, about 26" and 8 to 10 lbs. Beautiful cast, we all saw the fish turn and jump on the fly, and off to the races. Adam caught the next.... mine is still swimming out there somewhere.

Thanks Golden for lining up people, boats, guiding, and accommodations.

Ready for the next one!
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
As the photos come in I will post them up. You cant tell we had a great time can you?

Adam was getting started Saturday Night before Dinner!

So not being out done Alex finished off the single malt scotch!

so it was time to assemble the troops at Cathy's for dinner.  The first group got seated.

After dinner it was awards time so in front of everyone in Cathy's George accepted his TFF ONE FLY TROPHY.

So after a good night's rest this is what greeted us once out on the bay Sunday morning!  Thank You Lord!

Here are some photos from Saturday where our newest TFF Saltwater Crew member Don Hasselmann stuck a few in the mouth. I suggested he and Mike go over to this absolutely beautiful shoreline and boom he got bit!

...and more than once too.

Nice work guys glad you were able to make it down. From Red Ops HQ to the Renagade Redfishers job well done!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:29:00 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
Actually, the sunrise was Saturday morning after you rudely dismissed my morning serenade!!  ;D
333 - I'm only half bad!