Author Topic: November Saltwater Outing  (Read 2721 times)

Joe French

• View Profile
Re: November Saltwater Outing
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
Anybody want to car pool from Sugar land Area?

Joe French
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Plan on bing there, with a pair of extra wadeing boots for Mike G.

Denis

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
Denny's it is.  Garth Road  6-6:30 am  If you get lost call my cell 832-298-3855. Joe did you contact the guy needing the kayak? We can dibby up the autos and yaks at Denny's.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »
Well that was interesting... We learned a lot about a new area.
1.) Texas Parks and Wildlife has their panties in a wad.
2.) Man is there some good marsh areas to fish up there.
3.) The fish are hungry and willing to eat your fly.
4.) Air is expensive in Bridge City!

Now the report.  Mike Quigley met over at his house and hooked up the kayak trailer lent me by my wonderful Nephew.  The Wilderness Tarpon 16 kayak is the bomb but a little hard to turn. Way more quiet than Quig's yak which was important on the water. Anyways off to the Denny's that Kelly told us about to meet up with the guys for breakfast. On the way there Quigs tells me Kelly couldn't make it today because he wasn't feeling well.  Sorry about that Kell but a day on the water would make me feel a whole lot better no matter what! We arrive right on time and see that the Bear is there waiting for us. On the way in I notice the Cashier is a fine looking young lady that would brighten up any mans day if you know what I mean...for you other old farts I mean she was smoking good looking. ;D  We sit down to a great breakfast, coffee, and talk.  I also find out that Joe French and Dan are not going to make it either. Hey what is up dudes? :(  Hey Joe I though my danglies were on the line here brother now I find out you lost yours! :o

Barry and Nick already have headed to the marsh and will meet us there. So after squaring up with the cashier which was fine by me we were off to the meeting point.  During the drive we saw plenty of geese in the air and the sun rise although blinding was beautiful.  Thank you for the great weather lord we promise to enjoy your bounty today.

We get to "Location X" and I get to meet the newby Nick who looked ready and rearing to go. We changed put in points to a get off up the hiway and got our yaks into the water. Low wind, calm waters, brisk cool air, duck flying in overhead are you kidding me let's go.

So we let out in all directions. Mike Q. and I went east Bear south and Nick and Barry went north or at least I thought they did.  I was across the marsh in a heart beat in the yak and had a line wet in no time. Quigs was somewhere behind me fishing an open gut between two islands. As we had only been out on the water thirty minutes we get a call from Barry who said the Texas Parks and Wildlife officer had justy informed him this marsh was closed to fishing because of...get this Hurricane RITA! What this place looked in great shape and all the marshes in Louisiana that had been effected by Rita and Katrina not to say that Issac wasn't a problem either are flourishing today and open to fishing. Barry said that the officer said "but the duck hunters can hunt here though" ...REALLY thats what it was all about - the freak'n duck hunters.  Who by the way were no where to be found anywhere. So we called up Bear and let him know the bad news.  When he answered he said he was closing in on a big broad tail in front of him right now. No Bear don't catch that fish TP&W will be upset...you might disturb a duck! If you see this sign then it means you cant fish! That is how TP&W manages this area!

Anyways the officer did tell Barry where we could fish so with a slight delay we were back in the water.  Mike and I fished the open flat right off the ICW to the north and Barry and Nick went up the marsh further north, Dennis said he was going to scout around for some other areas to fish. We headed up this back road called Old Ferry Road. There at the end of the road was a launch and bait camp. 2$ and you have a safe place to park your car and to launch your boat.  The guy there gave us a few pointers and said "Good Luck Fellas"

Mike and I he aded back to the west and were out on absolutely crystal clear water that looked real fishy but after an hour or so of not seeing any fish and very little bait activity I turned my Yak back east and headed up towards the north shore of the old River Cove. Quigs was behind me fishing the shorelines.  I wasn't long until I found the oyster beds the guy back at the launch told me about. Then it started to happen - I see two big shadows coming towards me and I know these are some big redfish.  But I have my rod in a holder behind me and it took me ten or so seconds to get out out and ready.  Boom they are gone. I laid the rod in my lap stripped out fifteen feet of line and I was ready for the next fish now.  I continued to paddle along quietly and was rewarded with another big single. Now when I say big this fish was way oversize OK! I throw in in frront of it and it turns quickly onto my fly but then just sat there looking at it. OK I'll play that game twitch twitch flash it is gone...what I do wrong.  Believe it or not that same thing happened one more time. Time to change flys...REDFISH CRACK here we go. I had a fish on in less than a minute. This dude had nineteen spots and was a healthy fish. The next one was way bigger pulling me out towards the ICW.  The next one was at least 24 inches and fought well.  Quigley was seeing the whole thing play out but he just could not see the fish. I asked him to photograph the multispot but he was having some issues with his GEAR. Wish I had brought my camera with me but I left it in the truck when we change locations from the marsh to the ICW.  It was around three in the afternoon and the sun angle was getting to a point where sightfishing was difficult.  I now know where to go and when to be there! It is important to note that while fishing in a kayak you must keep from making any undue noise like dropping something on the yak's floor. Also hull slap is another issue for some yaks.  Mikes made way too much noise while under paddle Slow down to eliminate the noise.  Also since you are sitting so low you must really scan areas fully and look for the little things that might key to a fishes location.  Several fish I located because they were pushing water in a slightly different direction than the wind was...don't look for the fish - look for it's shadow.  Once I slowed down I was seeing fish easily.  Too bad we didn't get to this location earlier...WOW!

We headed back to the launch and put up our tackle. Barry and Nick were still back in the marsh reporting sightings of many fish and few breakoffs.
they were having fun still and planned to continue to fish.  Good Luck Fellas!

I will be back and if I had a poling skiff we would have slayed the reds. I Promise! Oh and about the air...I had to re-air one of my Yak's trailer tires when we were in Bridge City.  It cost $1.00 for the air pump...and so goes the economy in Bridge City!   Sorry Joe, Kelly, and Dan, couldn't make it. I bet they would have enjoyed the day too!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:00:29 AM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
I was up & getting ready to go when little man woke up screaming. Poor guy was burning up and covered in his own sick. It happens with a 2-year old and I couldn't leave the wife with the sick kiddo.

Sounds like I missed a good one and what the hell is with TxPWD shutting that marsh down? That's bullnaughty word.

Cinrac

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »
https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/table_contents/media/728.pdf

It was nearly impossible to find but this spells out the restrictions on the area. It looks like we stopped first at the boat ramp on the west side. We then tried to put in over by the triangle to the south of 73. Barry and I ended up fishing the eastern margin of the east side which I guess was still not legal but that is what the warden told us to do.

sprtmedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Mike, Great report and it sounds like you guys had a really good trip worth returning. I wish I had been there, but all I could have done was chum for you. Too weak to even hold a rod. 24 hr bug got a hold of me.

Kelley

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »
So it is reserved for duck hunting only. I wonder whose agenda was served by this area being closed.  Now after I reviewed the TP&W regulations, I wonder if you can fish this area starting the 1st Monday after the closing of the first duck hunting season (split season you know) until the second season starts. I am just wondering?

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>